Register Now
Kane99

How long can you handle wearing a VR headset for?

I sadly have not yet played with a VR headset, I really want to, but the cost of it is just out of my reach at the moment. Anyway, I was curious how you guys, those who have played with an actual VR headset, felt when using one? Like, how long can you wear it until it starts to cause you to feel sick, or have a headache or other issues? I hear some people can't handle playing VR for a long period of time, and even some VR headsets recommend taking a break after a while because it can be disorienting for some. 

But, what is your experience with gaming on VR for long periods of time. Do you get fatigue gaming for too long? Maybe eye strain or headaches? 

I actually think the worse thing is legs hurting after standing for a while. That's why they need more investment how to sit and play every game. Because there are ways to move around with the controller, and turn around without moving your head. Of course, if people want the full experience then they should stand, but have the option. Depending on the game played, I'm sure there are other issues one may have. 

5 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I've handled a few and the headsets were always heavy as hell in my opinion. I assumed people would get a lot of neck pain from using one. It's one of the many things that has turned me off from VR gaming. Aside from the physical limitations I'm stuck dealing with.

Yeah I hear they are heavy on top of it all. Plus with the wires and controllers it's probably even more cumbersome. 

I think they warn you about playing too long. I guess I didn't consider neck pain when I was thinking about it. I've never wore a pair before, but I imagine they're not very light. 

On 12/15/2021 at 5:08 PM, The Blackangel said:

I've handled a few and the headsets were always heavy as hell in my opinion. I assumed people would get a lot of neck pain from using one. It's one of the many things that has turned me off from VR gaming. Aside from the physical limitations I'm stuck dealing with.

I have never gotten neck pain from VR and I have trouble with neck pain. 
I have gotten motion sickness from VR however as I don't use it too long at once I don't get it. 
Get a bit of eye strain but that is because I get so into it and don't take breaks.  
In the health and safety warning of occulus quest they say:
"Take at least a 10 to 15 minute break every 30 minutes, even if you don't think you need it. Each person is different, so take more frequent and longer breaks if you feel discomfort."

Never did it myself either, almost tried it once at the game Villa here but I just gave up the thought for some reason. But this weekend I will be visiting the game Villa again and this time around I would definitely try the VR headset.

Due to the price of VR headsets I haven't as of yet been able to jump into the VR world even though I am quite curious how it is and would love to experience it. I know with VR you do need to do a lot of standing but one thing I did hear about VR was that it can cause motion sickness in people who suffer with it. Being someone who does suffer with motion sickness this had me wondering if I would even be okay using a VR headset, I would love to be able to experience it but if it would end up making me unwell it would be best to avoid it. 

Probably not long. I suffer with bad headaches due to a condition I was born with, so I doubt I'd last long with something like VR. I also wear glasses, so that'd be a factor in actually wearing the headset comfortably without it damaging my glasses.