Register Now
Kane99

Sonic Frontiers Announced - Think it'll be good?

Sonic is back in Sonic Frontiers, which was recently announced during the game awards. Sonic Forces left a bad taste in a lot of fans mouths, so they need to make something special with this one. You can check the reveal trailer below. Do you think it'll turn out to be a good game? Or will Sega have another dud on their hands? This time around though, they look to be going for an open world with exploration. I'm kinda into that. 

Edited by Kane99

I didn't see another topic for Frontiers, so I figured I would revive the original topic I made for the game. They just released a new trailer for Sonic Frontiers at Gamescom and it kinda looks good, idk. It kinda reminds me of Generations, as it looks like a mix of 3D and 2D segments. But it looks like it also adds some more combat options as well. Idk, what do you guys think? 

The animation on Sonic is showing some improvement! I just wish they pushed it a bit further in some bits, tap into that design more. But other than that, this looks amazing. Don't have a ps4 or 5 nor am I getting one anytime soon sadly, so I'm probably not going to be able to get it on release, but this looks really fun.

9 hours ago, Empire said:

The animation on Sonic is showing some improvement! I just wish they pushed it a bit further in some bits, tap into that design more. But other than that, this looks amazing. Don't have a ps4 or 5 nor am I getting one anytime soon sadly, so I'm probably not going to be able to get it on release, but this looks really fun.

Yeah to be fair, the graphics are looking smooth according to the trailer. But we have seen this before, where things look good, and then turn out to be like Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric for example. But if this is what the game looks and plays like, then I could see it being good. 

I still have problems with presentation of this game. The use of these realistic looking, life like but untimely boring environments was cumbersome enough, but they are throwing some environments that looks like the classic sonic games into the mix as well just make this worse. This is a game has no visual identity of own. I don't know if this is because of the recent live action Sonic movies that they decided this was a good idea, and whilst that helps me understand the choice they made, it doesn't make it good choice. The gameplay itself does little to excite me either, it's nothing new nor interesting.

The presentation is a lot better than it was before where we were just seeing the open world(?) bits, with an aesthetic similar to Sonic Boom (only now with graphical fidelity that doesn't match a baked potato). There's still the piss poorly placed assets that have no artistic cohesion, and then there's the unclear enemy designs and what appears to be a forgettable antagonist or whatever that ghostly figure is supposed to be. I'm guessing this is going to be one of The Bad Ones.

I want to play this one but it doesn't tickle my pickle. Throwing lots of punches from a distance and a green level is the only appeal to me right now.

6 hours ago, NightmareFarm said:

The concept is interesing and I find that combat having a role interesting rather than just killing enemies by speeding into them or jumping on them.

Agreed, although I'd be fine with speeding into and jumping on enemies if I knew how effective that was. I've never fully understood how the games' hitboxes work, and it's something Super Lucky's Tale felt it had to be add to their game.

6 hours ago, NightmareFarm said:

But in it's current state it looks like a school project so if it doesn't get polished up i'll pass.

I don't blame you. I really don't know what it is about this one that makes me want to play it, other than I simply do, but I can totally see why others would want to give this one a miss.

Edited by Withywarlock

It looks somewhat better than the debut trailer but I have to agree with the others here, the gaming elements just feel out of place like they're trying to replicate a 2D gaming world into an open-world 3D adventure. For instance, some of the original elements like bouncing from trampoline to trampoline feels out of place - my other gripe is that it still seems like he is ice skating.

It's been almost a year since the first announcement of this game was made and i think they should release it already , I don't know the exact date but I think they've taken it to 2023.

I enjoyed the earliest release of sonic and since this one is coming out in this generation of Consoles I hope it is worth our time as well.

2 hours ago, Clasher said:

It's been almost a year since the first announcement of this game was made and i think they should release it already , I don't know the exact date but I think they've taken it to 2023.

I'm all for reminding people that delays aren't a magic wand that fixes all development woes (crunch resumes during this time meaning avoidable mistakes will still be made due to pressure), but releasing a game when it's not up to snuff is how we get things like Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric, or Sonic the Hedgehog (2006). While there can be a thin middle-ground between games similar to Rise of Lyric and Sonic '06, SEGA will not find it.

2 hours ago, Clasher said:

I enjoyed the earliest release of sonic and since this one is coming out in this generation of Consoles I hope it is worth our time as well.

I hope so too. The best thing we can do is wait and hope the developers are working in suitable enough conditions to make the game the best it can be.

On 8/24/2022 at 7:50 PM, Shagger said:

I still have problems with presentation of this game. The use of these realistic looking, life like but untimely boring environments was cumbersome enough, but they are throwing some environments that looks like the classic sonic games into the mix as well just make this worse. This is a game has no visual identity of own. I don't know if this is because of the recent live action Sonic movies that they decided this was a good idea, and whilst that helps me understand the choice they made, it doesn't make it good choice. The gameplay itself does little to excite me either, it's nothing new nor interesting.

I think for me, it's Sonic and all these cartoonish characters being in these realistic locations. It just doesn't fit or work, at least for me. And they haven't really strived far from the formula it seems. I thought they would have tried something new by now, but it's like they have to make similar locations and similar setpieces. I was under the impression they were going to make a more open world game with some linear aspects. 

On 8/26/2022 at 1:42 AM, Clasher said:

I hope I am wrong about this game but it seems like it still lacks some very basic elements to make it a good enough game.

The reveal trailer looks good from my perspective. If they put more efforts in the game's development, I'm very sure that it's going to be better than what they did last. I wasn't impressed at by it and hope that one doesn't follow the same old pattern. 

I just realized this is dropping next month, November 8th. So like a couple weeks away. Who's going to be picking it up? I hope it turns out to be a great game. To see a good game in the series again would be a nice breath of fresh air. We need Sonic to finally succeed. 

Has anyone pre-ordered it? Or are you waiting for reviews to come out before taking the chance on it? I wouldn't blame ya, I'm going to wait until I hear reviews on it before I consider buying it. 

I don't ever plan to get this, but I expect the game to be sitting at an average of the 60's/70's once the reviews come out. The premise of an open-environment 3D Sonic lends itself well to allowing room for the speed Sonic needs to be going at, but I think things like the pop-in, boss battles, and environments are going to be hit-or-miss with people. Any of the most recent hands-on previews I saw all had different likes and dislikes with the game, where some liked X and disliked Y, and others liked Y and disliked X. It would be neat for it to end up with rave reviews overall but Sonic doesn't tend to hit those highs very often, and the last game I know of that did (Sonic Mania) was one not even made by Sonic Team.