Register Now
Kane99

Forspoken - Gameplay Trailer released

The Game Awards giving us more reveals. It's like early Christmas for me. I'm not sure about this one though. I'm not super into the acting, at least with the main character, but the gameplay looks pretty dope at least. It's something new and different, so I may give it a try eventually. What do you guys think? Worth a buy? 

Well looks like this game is getting mediocre reviews as of late. Most reviews seem to praise the controls, including the parkour elements and combat, but the story and RPG elements I hear are lacking. 

I've been seeing mostly 6's/7's/ and 8's here and there. Here's what IGN had to say: 

Edited by Kane99

I actually had high hopes for this, but the consistently mediocre reviews with similar complaints can't all be wrong. My worrys were starting to multiply with a very shady review embargo that allowed reviews very late. Add to that Square Enix apparently did not gives out PC codes at all, not to mention the insane PC requirements:

forspoken-system-requirements.thumb.jpg.8f607ae8f36d5bf12930a070d3d7797f.jpg

Leads me to predict that this game is going to have issues at launch on PC. There is no way with those requirements that this has been properly optimised. There are game with graphical fidelity that at least match Forsaken that need half as powerful hardware to run.

This feels like this game was never meant to be a open world but somewhere in production they got forced to turn it into an open world. It shows you they didn’t have any clue about world building and just thought fantasy world building required little effort.

18 hours ago, Shagger said:

I actually had high hopes for this, but the consistently mediocre reviews with similar complaints can't all be wrong. My worrys were starting to multiply with a very shady review embargo that allowed reviews very late. Add to that Square Enix apparently did not gives out PC codes at all, not to mention the insane PC requirements:

Leads me to predict that this game is going to have issues at launch on PC. There is no way with those requirements that this has been properly optimised. There are game with graphical fidelity that at least match Forsaken that need half as powerful hardware to run.

Damn games are getting bigger. I don't even think I can run this game under minimum specs. And yeah, not too fond of Square Enix as of late. 

I'm also getting Recore vibes from this game for some reason. A game that got okay reviews but was forgotten in a couple weeks. I have a feeling this game will end up going that route. 

18 hours ago, Shagger said:

Seriously, what the fuck is going on with this shit!  The PS5 can play the game at 1440p 60fps in performance mode yet a PC almost twice as powerful can only apparently do 30fps at the same resolution.  What in the miserable dick!

Well there is a Demo available for the PC version now on Steam and EGS, so you are least able to figure if your PC actually can run this dam thing before you spend any money!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1680880/Forspoken/

https://launcher.store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/forspoken

Edited by Crazycrab

1 hour ago, Crazycrab said:

Well there is a Demo available for the PC version now on Steam and EGS, so you are least able to figure if your PC actually can run this dam thing before you spend any money!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1680880/Forspoken/

https://launcher.store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/forspoken

Thanks again for sharing.

I did try this demo out just to see how this runs on the default graphics setting that rank as low, standard, high and ultra high. I wasn't going to go through custom settings at this point, I just wanted to get a basic idea. And on this hardawre;

image_2023-01-24_212954930.thumb.png.19f1092f3203367e4a41c5009dad16df.png

That I would say ranks a bit better than the game's minimum requirement, I was actually pleasantly surprised by the results. All of this was at 1080p in a borderless window. A couple of things to note, the game actually crashed when I tried to switch graphics settings in game forcing me to go back to the main menu to adjust the settings, which was annoying. I understand a game wanted to reboot to apply the new settings, but I've never had one crash by doing so before. Speaking of the main menu, the fps count was pretty much the same on the main menu as it was in game which seems weird to me.

• On low settings, the game ran between 55fps and 60fps (Hitting the fps cap I had set). So for people who value performance over visuals, the game runs fine.
  • On standard, the game was hovering around 30fps. So at this point I was thinking, OK, to guarantee a smooth experience, it will have to bet set low, but this is whare things get a bit odd.
  • On high, the game actually ran better, with the game hovering around 40fps. I would have to investigate the individual settings within a custom set up to understand why this happened, but this was perfectly playable and stable.
  • On ultra high, this was pushing to far and I could barley get above 25 fps with it frequently dipping below 20fps. So on this setting the game was pretty much unplayable, but that was to be expected.

Overall, I'd say those PC requirements are a bit pessimistic as this fairly low end set up seems to run the game at 1080p just fine. Maybe there was a day one or pre-launch patch as I believe Square Enix did get some backlash when they announced these PC requirements, but whatever the case this is good.

3 minutes ago, Shagger said:

Thanks again for sharing.

I did try this demo out just to see how this runs on the default graphics setting that rank as low, standard, high and ultra high. I wasn't going to go through custom settings at this point, I just wanted to get a basic idea. And on this hardawre;

image_2023-01-24_212954930.thumb.png.19f1092f3203367e4a41c5009dad16df.png

That I would say ranks a bit better than the game's minimum requirement, I was actually pleasantly surprised by the results. All of this was at 1080p in a borderless window. A couple of things to note, the game actually crashed when I tried to switch graphics settings in game forcing me to go back to the main menu to adjust the settings, which was annoying. I understand a game wanted to reboot to apply the new settings, but I've never had one crash by doing so before. Speaking of the main menu, the fps count was pretty much the same on the main menu as it was in game which seems weird to me.

• On low settings, the game ran between 55fps and 60fps (Hitting the fps cap I had set). So for people who value performance over visuals, the game runs fine.
  • On standard, the game was hovering around 30fps. So at this point I was thinking, OK, to guarantee a smooth experience, it will have to bet set low, but this is whare things get a bit odd.
  • On high, the game actually ran better, with the game hovering around 40fps. I would have to investigate the individual settings within a custom set up to understand why this happened, but this was perfectly playable and stable.
  • On ultra high, this was pushing to far and I could barley get above 25 fps with it frequently dipping below 20fps. So on this setting the game was pretty much unplayable, but that was to be expected.

Overall, I'd say those PC requirements are a bit pessimistic as this fairly low end set up seems to run the game at 1080p just fine. Maybe there was a day one or pre-launch patch as I believe Square Enix did get some backlash when they announced these PC requirements, but whatever the case this is good.

I'm downloading the demo myself, but since my internet connection sucks the big one I probably won't be able to try it until tomorrow.

Ok, after playing a little of the demo I'm VERY confused as to why they issued a press release stating PC specs this ridiculously high.

image.png.b647b311f8b58b561186c09d1cf27ddd.png

Here is what I'm rocking:

1933802448_Screenshot2023-01-25134245.thumb.png.7b1312d2af9d7f826497d136e3ffacfb.png

645998720_Screenshot2023-01-25134325.png.4a10ea755ef7ebc1dffbe2508131e1c8.png

I'm easily playing the Demo on ultra at 1440p.  Here's the weird thing though., I started on the ultra pre-set without changing anything and I was getting around 35 fps quite consistently.  The I made some other adjustments like changing the model and texture memories from their default standard to high and ultra high and turning on NVidea DLSS...

2228080_20230125140122_1.thumb.png.72e74f0008621983ecd01840c9abba14.png

...and my FPS actually went UP to 50!  This must be the only thing I've ever played where you get better performance when you turn everything up to spinal tap!  It's fucking bizarre.

Edited by Crazycrab

39 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

Ok, after playing a little of the demo I'm VERY confused as to why they issued a press release stating PC specs this ridiculously high.

image.png.b647b311f8b58b561186c09d1cf27ddd.png

Here is what I'm rocking:

1933802448_Screenshot2023-01-25134245.thumb.png.7b1312d2af9d7f826497d136e3ffacfb.png

645998720_Screenshot2023-01-25134325.png.4a10ea755ef7ebc1dffbe2508131e1c8.png

I'm easily playing the Demo on ultra at 1440p.  Here's the weird thing though., I started on the ultra pre-set without changing anything and I was getting around 35 fps quite consistently.  The I made some other adjustments like changing the model and texture memories from their default standard to high and ultra high and turning on NVidea DLSS...

2228080_20230125140122_1.thumb.png.72e74f0008621983ecd01840c9abba14.png

...and my FPS actually went UP to 50!  This must be the only thing I've ever played where you get better performance when you turn everything up to spinal tap!  It's fucking bizarre.

So we've both found on two different hardware set ups that turning certain parameters up actually makes this game run better. Could it be something to do with the RTX features and these RTX cards are happier with certain settings even if they should be more taxing?