Register Now
Kane99

Assassin's Creed should mix past and present again

I liked in the original Assassin's Creed games, when you got to take over for your present self. That storyline faded away (I won't spoil it) and hasn't really been done the same since. When I saw how we learned the ancestors skills while in the animus, it made me hope for a possible sequel where you can actually be an assassin in modern day America. Climbing up skyscrapers and all kinds of massive buildings. 

I think it'd be cool to get an Assassin's Creed game that takes place in modern times. They clearly tried to deliver a story in the present, so why not have it where we become an Assassin because of the animus, and you're now tasked to take out high value targets in the modern world. You can still use stealth and your hidden blades, but now you have other weapons to your advantage. idk, I think it's be cool and I think that's the next step for Assassin's Creed. 

It would be cool to see AC in a modern setting but not sure how that would work. The latest AC Valhalla has multiple maps, so maybe they can add a modern time map of a city. So that when you exit the animus you can play in the modern world, and always go back when you want to play in the historical setting. They have already kind of built on a modern day story, so if they wanted to it's definitely possible to mix in there. Who knows what all they will add in their upcoming Infinity game. That just might be the last AC game because they say they will keep adding maps to it or locations; I'm not so sure what they are up to. 

59 minutes ago, Head_Hunter said:

That will simply make them think about remastering, if only they want to remaster the old Assassins Creed editions into ultra modern choice. 

They're already done remasters, but I can't see them doing those as often anymore. Assassin's Creed has been played out far too much, them making a remaster of any of the other games would be pointless. Unless it's Assassin's Creed II: Brotherhood. 

43 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

It would be cool to see AC in a modern setting but not sure how that would work. The latest AC Valhalla has multiple maps, so maybe they can add a modern time map of a city. So that when you exit the animus you can play in the modern world, and always go back when you want to play in the historical setting. They have already kind of built on a modern day story, so if they wanted to it's definitely possible to mix in there. Who knows what all they will add in their upcoming Infinity game. That just might be the last AC game because they say they will keep adding maps to it or locations; I'm not so sure what they are up to. 

It worked somewhat in the Assassin's Creed II Brotherhood, I could see it working in a modern setting. Of course it would be a hugely different game, considering guns are a thing, cars, and a full, living, breathing world. 

But, I think that's a direction they need to go, to kinda change it up some, at least that's how I feel. 

2 minutes ago, m76 said:

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I wish AC just forgot the present completely and just be period pieces set in various times through history. I never liked the original AC games, the first one I liked was Odyssey which was the third I played after AC 1 and 2.

I actually agree. The whole animus travel into the past was unique, but never felt necessary and I find it hard to believe it's ever been the reason to play AC. It is mostly pointless. They cut that content down slot after AC3 and I felt it was a good move.

The most interesting storyline with the animus I would say is Valhalla, specifically the storyline tied to it in the map of Asgard. I don't know the whole story yet, but that integration is pretty awesome. It's easy to overlook too if you are doing a speed play through. I want to explain so bad but I won't because of spoilers. 

Any AC game could work without the whole animus storyline. The game itself would be fantasy/action adventure. The animus makes it sci fi/fantasy/action adventure. So if they want to make the animus more relevant, then they need to be more sci fi oriented. 

If they could balance those 3 genres and not half ass the animus part, then it could be a legendary storyline. It still kind of is because there are many things going on and not just the main story, but instead of completely doing away with the present day, they should treat it like they would a DLC, or extended map of the modern day. And that way we have a choice to spend as much time we want in the modern world or the past. 

1 hour ago, m76 said:

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I wish AC just forgot the present completely and just be period pieces set in various times through history. I never liked the original AC games, the first one I liked was Odyssey which was the third I played after AC 1 and 2.

Agreed, the whole Aminus thing always felt unnecessary to me.  I don't think I have ever gave a fraction of a shit about the characters or story arc's that surround it. They have thankfully been marginalising it with later releases but they really should just get rid of it completely as far as I'm concerned.

5 hours ago, Shagger said:

I actually agree. The whole animus travel into the past was unique, but never felt necessary and I find it hard to believe it's ever been the reason to play AC. It is mostly pointless. They cut that content down slot after AC3 and I felt it was a good move.

Yeah the story for the present day animus stuff wasn't great. But I felt there was some potential that we could see a game set in current times, or even the future. Honestly, I would be fine if they just removed the animus, and somehow the people previously in it, are becoming modern day assassins or something. That's what I thought would happen with the modern day story originally, that Desmond or whatever his name was, would become the next Assassin and we'd see a game set in modern USA or something. I think it could be a fun change for the series. 

4 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

The most interesting storyline with the animus I would say is Valhalla, specifically the storyline tied to it in the map of Asgard. I don't know the whole story yet, but that integration is pretty awesome. It's easy to overlook too if you are doing a speed play through. I want to explain so bad but I won't because of spoilers. 

Any AC game could work without the whole animus storyline. The game itself would be fantasy/action adventure. The animus makes it sci fi/fantasy/action adventure. So if they want to make the animus more relevant, then they need to be more sci fi oriented. 

If they could balance those 3 genres and not half ass the animus part, then it could be a legendary storyline. It still kind of is because there are many things going on and not just the main story, but instead of completely doing away with the present day, they should treat it like they would a DLC, or extended map of the modern day. And that way we have a choice to spend as much time we want in the modern world or the past. 

I haven't played Valhalla yet, but heard it was really good though. I think having it be modern day, would service the story some, because the whole point of the animus was to find secrets from the past. So I think it could have worked to further the story in the modern day side of things, because that's where the story was supposed to go originally. I think fans expected to take over as Desmond at some point, and he'd be an assassin fighting the templars that are still alive causing issues. 

On 12/13/2021 at 8:42 PM, Crazycrab said:

Agreed, the whole Aminus thing always felt unnecessary to me.  I don't think I have ever gave a fraction of a shit about the characters or story arc's that surround it. They have thankfully been marginalising it with later releases but they really should just get rid of it completely as far as I'm concerned.

Seriously, it's where they got all wrong for me with the whole Aminus thing. They could have looked for another narrative which could be something related to the first AC plot and stick with it. 

2 hours ago, Heatman said:

Seriously, it's where they got all wrong for me with the whole Aminus thing. They could have looked for another narrative which could be something related to the first AC plot and stick with it. 

That's exactly what they did for the first 3 games, the concept was flawed right out of the gate.  They lent much more heavily on the modern day Animus plotline. During the first game they drone on and on to Desmond Miles the importance of the Animus and finding whatever artifact they were looking for through the memories of Altaïr, but never fully explain why.  Even at the end all we see is a map showing where it is, but not what it is, leaving more questions than answers.  The devs were so fucking arrogant here, it was like "You wanna know what's going on, you better buy the sequel you dumb fuck!".  Needless to say, it pissed me off.

I never gave a shit about Desmond, I didn't even buy another Assassin's Creed until Black Flag where the whole Aminus concept was mercifully reduced.  I still insist it shouldn't be there at all but I guess Ubisoft think they made their bed and now they have to sleep in it.

9 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

That's exactly what they did for the first 3 games, the concept was flawed right out of the gate.  They lent much more heavily on the modern day Animus plotline. During the first game they drone on and on to Desmond Miles the importance of the Animus and finding whatever artifact they were looking for through the memories of Altaïr, but never fully explain why.  Even at the end all we see is a map showing where it is, but not what it is, leaving more questions than answers.  The devs were so fucking arrogant here, it was like "You wanna know what's going on, you better buy the sequel you dumb fuck!".  Needless to say, it pissed me off.

I never gave a shit about Desmond, I didn't even buy another Assassin's Creed until Black Flag where the whole Aminus concept was mercifully reduced.  I still insist it shouldn't be there at all but I guess Ubisoft think they made their bed and now they have to sleep in it.

I have already given up on Ubisoft and their shit show over a long time. They really disappointed with what they did with the AC franchise. 

19 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

Yeah Desmund was a boring character. If they gave us a good modern day character, I think we would have gotten a modern day Assassin's Creed already. If they just made a good character to get behind, I think the modern day story would have played better. 

Because let's face it. It was clear from the first two games they wanted to extend it into modern times. Maybe they could still do it with a whole new character, but idk if they ever will. 

On 12/16/2021 at 8:00 AM, Kane99 said:

Yeah Desmund was a boring character. If they gave us a good modern day character, I think we would have gotten a modern day Assassin's Creed already. If they just made a good character to get behind, I think the modern day story would have played better. 

Because let's face it. It was clear from the first two games they wanted to extend it into modern times. Maybe they could still do it with a whole new character, but idk if they ever will. 

Looking at what Capcom is doing with the characters they make up in the game. They keep twisting the whole thing that some gamers get confused. AC might do that as well.