Register Now
Kane99

Assassin's Creed should mix past and present again

13 hours ago, Heatman said:

These guys copy and lift other's work 100% sometimes and they have been made to pay for it. I'm not sure if Ubisoft have been caught to pay for settlement in court but others have been down that road. Take for instance with Capcom when they were faced with a lawsuit of $12 million for being accused of using about 80 photographys of a designer by name Juracek. 

https://www.polygon.com/22519568/resident-evil-4-copyright-infringement-lawsuit-capcom

Yeah if Ubisoft made the ideas their own, there probably wouldn't be any issues. The thing with Assassin's Creed: Odyssey for example, is that it's fine to take ideas and make them your own. But the way they went about it, not changing enough, shows they were lazy in the process. 

If they simply made their own version of the systems they borrowed, they would have been fine. 

I remember hearing about the RE story. It makes you wonder how many other games have taken images/graphics and other things from other forms of media and people. If I remember correctly to, with the RE situation, it took them a while to notice it. So there could be other games out there that do this exact same thing and have gotten away with it. Makes ya wonder. 

15 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Yeah if Ubisoft made the ideas their own, there probably wouldn't be any issues. The thing with Assassin's Creed: Odyssey for example, is that it's fine to take ideas and make them your own. But the way they went about it, not changing enough, shows they were lazy in the process. 

If they simply made their own version of the systems they borrowed, they would have been fine. 

I remember hearing about the RE story. It makes you wonder how many other games have taken images/graphics and other things from other forms of media and people. If I remember correctly to, with the RE situation, it took them a while to notice it. So there could be other games out there that do this exact same thing and have gotten away with it. Makes ya wonder. 

Yeah, that's true. There's a big possibility that a lot of that is going on every day in the gaming industry without it coming to light. It's now all about whom they are stealing from finding out and then suing them for copyright infringement. I think there was a fuss about some of Assassin's Creed Origins contents being copied from BOTW. 

On 8/7/2022 at 7:24 PM, Heatman said:

Ubisoft have been sloopy when it comes to copying other game's mechanics and they were actually caught red handed with what they did with Assassin's Creed : Odyssey in copying both the game mechanics and used in The Witcher : Wild Hunt and Middle Earth : Shadow of War.

https://vocal.media/gamers/assassin-s-creed-odyssey-and-the-perils-of-copy-and-paste-syndrome

On 8/11/2022 at 6:36 AM, Kane99 said:

I don't know, I wouldn't say that so much. I think a lot of these ideas are fine to replicate in other games, as long as it's not 100% copied and is made their own, it should be fine. THat's the beauty of this sort of thing, because legally people can make similar styles of games, but they need to make it their own and not copy it to a point where it's exactly the same thing. It needs to be changed just enough and even be an improvement in some ways for it to be allowed. 

That's why you see so many similar devices out there. Because people produce products to compete with those things. 

At this point in time in the gaming industry, all the big studios are going round and round copying each other, it's hardly a surprise anymore, that's one of the reasons I keep my eye on indie devs nowadays. 😉

27 minutes ago, Gonassis said:

At this point in time in the gaming industry, all the big studios are going round and round copying each other, it's hardly a surprise anymore, that's one of the reasons I keep my eye on indie devs nowadays. 😉

That is a slightly ironic post given that the AC series are both published and developed by Ubisoft, as in there not separate companies doing both things. In other words, the AC series is independently published, so technically they are indie games. I know what you mean by indie games though, don't get me wrong, but I just find it interesting how people through that term around without really understanding what it means

Edited by Shagger

28 minutes ago, Shagger said:

That is a slightly ironic post given that the AC series are both published and developed by Ubisoft, as in there not separate companies doing both things. In other words, the AC series is independently published, so technically they are indie games. I know what you mean by indie games though, don't get me wrong, but I just find it interesting how people through that term around without really understanding what it means

hmmm, I had to think about your response there for a moment... so what you're saying is that indie dev/game is a politically correct term?
this feels like semantics to me, although I may be wrong. 😅

so, what should small independent, non-AAA developers be called? small game studio, one-man team, etc. I'm interested in learning your viewpoint, thanks 😀

39 minutes ago, Gonassis said:

hmmm, I had to think about your response there for a moment... so what you're saying is that indie dev/game is a politically correct term?
this feels like semantics to me, although I may be wrong. 😅

so, what should small independent, non-AAA developers be called? small game studio, one-man team, etc. I'm interested in learning your viewpoint, thanks 😀

This has nothing to do with political correctness, just... correctness.

Most games, especially in the AAA scene, are developed by one company and published by another. The relationship is comparable to a recording artist (the developer) and a record label (the publisher). For example, Battlefield is developed by Dice and published by donkey shit... I mean EA.

An indie game is a game that has been independantly published by the same company who developed it without a third party publisher. That's whare the term "indie" comes from, it's an abbreviation. That single company can be a company of just one person in a shed or a cooperation employing thousands, the scale is is irrelevant. So you can come up a list indie games and include the aforementioned AC Series, GTA4, Skyrim, Fallout 3, FIFA, The Witcher series and Cyberpunk 2077 and nobody would be able to argue with you as those games are all published by the same companies that made them.

13 hours ago, Shagger said:

Most games, especially in the AAA scene, are developed by one company and published by another. The relationship is comparable to a recording artist (the developer) and a record label (the publisher). For example, Battlefield is developed by Dice and published by donkey shit... I mean EA.

An indie game is a game that has been independantly published by the same company who developed it without a third party publisher. That's whare the term "indie" comes from, it's an abbreviation. That single company can be a company of just one person in a shed or a cooperation employing thousands, the scale is is irrelevant. So you can come up a list indie games and include the aforementioned AC Series, GTA4, Skyrim, Fallout 3, FIFA, The Witcher series and Cyberpunk 2077 and nobody would be able to argue with you as those games are all published by the same companies that made them.

Damn!!! I have just been schooled here now with this further explanation on what the said term "Indie Game" truly meant. I must confess that I was among those who used the term without fully understanding it. With that being said, @Shaggerthanks for the education.

Adding to your sense of humour, I just picked up a new name for EA - Donkey Shit 😂!! 

18 hours ago, Shagger said:

Thanks for the insights @Shagger, I'm going to screenshot this and save this in an important folder for reference. 😁

Well, I guess you are right that it's a "correct" term in the dictionary sense, although the last sentence feels like by that logic you'd be picking a knowing fight with anyone bringing up "indie" terminology. 😅 but that wouldn't be too bad in the end.

Also I like your avatar, of "avatar" aang and zuko, in the dragon dance scene of the 2 dragons... hehe.
I'm still hyped, waiting for the Netflix version of avatar aang. 🤩

Edited by Gonassis