Register Now
Kane99

Any settings we should turn on or off when gaming?

Are there any settings we should turn on or off when it comes to gaming? On PC that is. I heard a while back that some people suggest turning certain settings off, or changing a setting somewhere to get the best experience. But I always worry about those tip videos because I see most of them through reels but they originally are probably from tiktok. But is there anything I should know, to get the best experience from my games? Any settings I can change or turn off/on that could help? I just want to make sure all the games I play, are safe to play on my PC, and if setting changes can make it easier on my PC, I'd love to hear the tips/suggestions. 

I try to reduce the background services and the apps that are just consuming some sort of the resources on the laptop or computer. I think when it comes to gaming you have to see how much of your resources are drained in background and adjust accordingly. 

19 hours ago, skyfire said:

I try to reduce the background services and the apps that are just consuming some sort of the resources on the laptop or computer. I think when it comes to gaming you have to see how much of your resources are drained in background and adjust accordingly. 

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when I game next. I usually have my other screen up and it has discord and browsers open. But I don't see that causing much issues. I'll keep that in mind though and change settings accordingly. 

16 hours ago, StormyFire said:

I sometimes turn off things like dynamic shadows and antialiasing that can bog down a game's performance for very little return in aesthetics. Sometimes, I feel like games look pretty much the same on medium and high graphics.

Thank you I will do exactly that from now on. I figure the smoother the experience, the better. I also don't want my PC to tire itself out trying to play popular games. 

16 hours ago, Empire said:

I have many things running in the background while streaming and flying but end of the day depends on the game it users your GPU and not CPU.

Same here. I have a fairly decent graphics card though and my PC seems to run fine with a game and other apps running. But I notice that some games are tougher on my PC than others, that's for sure. 

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

I usually have my other screen up and it has discord and browsers open. But I don't see that causing much issues. I'll keep that in mind though and change settings accordingly. 

Yes those things won't cause much of an issue. Instead you have to think of the startup items and the services in the background. 

I don't game on my PC often, but when I do, I shut everything off that isn't gaming related. I exit things like Discord and Steam. I make sure Windows Media Player is turned off, and that I don't have any folders or documents open. I only leave things that are necessary for the protection of my computer open. That leaves me a safe and enjoyable gaming experience.

But then again the only game I play regularly on my PC is Hatred, so that may make a difference. As I've said many times before, I'm not a fan of online gaming, so I don't play on PC much, if at all.

You didn't state what you have for CPU and GPU. When I game I turn off any processes that are not needed.Updaters and etc through task manager.Also often check your start up apps and turn off the ones you don't need at startup.And IDK if discord and a browser take a lot of resources,but it does take SOME resources. Also you can try different settings inside the game too of course. I actually turned ( I think)anti aliasing off in a game and it played AND looked better.Sometimes there's not much difference between ultra and high settings but it'll chew up a lot more GPU power.

Of course if you have an i9 and a 3090 I don't think you need to worry about it.

Edited by Lamarr the strelok

On 12/13/2021 at 4:35 AM, Kane99 said:

Same here. I have a fairly decent graphics card though and my PC seems to run fine with a game and other apps running. But I notice that some games are tougher on my PC than others, that's for sure. 

Even back with older cards they can handle things very well, it can slow your system down but not slow slow. With most games though that the GPU runs max at 100% and when it does you tend to see other things slowing down. But most are CPU ussage 

17 hours ago, Lamarr the strelok said:

You didn't state what you have for CPU and GPU. When I game I turn off any processes that are not needed.Updaters and etc through task manager.Also often check your start up apps and turn off the ones you don't need at startup.And IDK if discord and a browser take a lot of resources,but it does take SOME resources. Also you can try different settings inside the game too of course. I actually turned ( I think)anti aliasing off in a game and it played AND looked better.Sometimes there's not much difference between ultra and high settings but it'll chew up a lot more GPU power.

Of course if you have an i9 and a 3090 I don't think you need to worry about it.

These are my current specs, at least from what I can find: 

image.png.a1745fdfd156dc23c1561bb02329aab2.png

my graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER

15 hours ago, Empire said:

Even back with older cards they can handle things very well, it can slow your system down but not slow slow. With most games though that the GPU runs max at 100% and when it does you tend to see other things slowing down. But most are CPU ussage 

yeah, I heard older cards can handle a lot, just gotta make sure the PC is in good working order. I was thinking about upgrading my old PC to put a graphics card, but idk how well it would have done. So instead I upgraded to a better PC. 🙂 

Yeah Kane that's not a bad rig at all.Boy did I luck out. I got a rx 570 8 GB Vram card for 150 bux just before GPU's went insane.Then i got a i7 4770 for 100 bux and I'm set for a while. And yes you can get some really good deals on pre builts if you do some shopping. But you know how your rig runs. I just shut down everything except what I need when gaming. I'm still in that mode from running potato pc's way back.At the worst your rig will probably just shut down.

On 12/15/2021 at 4:24 AM, Kane99 said:

yeah, I heard older cards can handle a lot, just gotta make sure the PC is in good working order. I was thinking about upgrading my old PC to put a graphics card, but idk how well it would have done. So instead I upgraded to a better PC. 🙂 

Depends on what your specs are and how high you are going to upgrade to 🙂 Also end of the day you only can go so high before the CPU or motherboard doesn't support it. But end of the day you are better off going with all new hardware as all older hardware needs replacement with most games now needs more. 

On 12/15/2021 at 3:11 AM, Lamarr the strelok said:

Yeah Kane that's not a bad rig at all.Boy did I luck out. I got a rx 570 8 GB Vram card for 150 bux just before GPU's went insane.Then i got a i7 4770 for 100 bux and I'm set for a while. And yes you can get some really good deals on pre builts if you do some shopping. But you know how your rig runs. I just shut down everything except what I need when gaming. I'm still in that mode from running potato pc's way back.At the worst your rig will probably just shut down.

Glad to hear it. I can play most games, but any that may be resource hogs I try to not play for long periods of time, because I am paranoid it would result in damage to my PC. But I found I just turn down the settings. Even when settings are turned down, the games still usually look good, so I can't complain. 🙂

Yeah, I heard if there is a lot of abuse to the computer, it would just shut down to protect itself. I haven't encountered that yet thankfully. 🙂