Register Now
Kane99

Do you feel overwhelmed by your backlog of games?

Some of us here have huge collections of games that we may not have played. I have a small collection of games that I have never played yet, and probably never will. I of course don't intend to play every game I own. But, I know some people out there, collect games, and intend to play every single last one of them. 

Depending on how big your backlog of games is, do you ever feel overwhelmed with the amount of games you want to get through because of your backlog? Or are you cool with the backlog of games that may never be played? 

Considering the mass of games I have, I do hope to play them all, but doubt I will be able to. I'm in the 4 digit range of how many titles I own, and even if I played only one game per day, it would still take several years to play them all. Hell it would take at least 6 months just to play all the games I have on my Switch. Hell I have 116 DDL's and 23 carts, many of which are multiple game carts. Then there's all the other systems I own.

So, yeah. It gets overwhelming at times. When that happens, I just play something that I'm completely familiar with, and feel that I've mastered. Just an easy laid back experience.

16 hours ago, Razor1911 said:

It really gives satisfaction when I look back to my backlog, and count the games that I had completed. Starting from Contra force, to CoD ,Prince of Persia and Assassin's creed. The journey is going and will continue for life. ☺️

Oh for sure, I love seeing the games I've completed and even not completed. It's just a constant reminder that I have games I've yet to play. 😄 

4 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Considering the mass of games I have, I do hope to play them all, but doubt I will be able to. I'm in the 4 digit range of how many titles I own, and even if I played only one game per day, it would still take several years to play them all. Hell it would take at least 6 months just to play all the games I have on my Switch. Hell I have 116 DDL's and 23 carts, many of which are multiple game carts. Then there's all the other systems I own.

So, yeah. It gets overwhelming at times. When that happens, I just play something that I'm completely familiar with, and feel that I've mastered. Just an easy laid back experience.

From what I saw of your collection, it'll take quite a while to get through it. I don't think I'll ever get through my own backlog, but I kinda came to terms with it. Plus, I do have some crappy games in my collection that I wouldn't even dare touch. But other than that, there are still a lot I'd want to play and I probably won't get to them all. 

Yeah, if I can't think of anything to play from my backlog, I just go back to a game I am familiar with myself. I've gone back to RDR1 and GTA often in the past, same with COD, but I have kinda gotten tired of those games. I'm thinking about jumping back into RDR2 again soon as well. 

If you're referring to the pic I posted, you only saw a fraction of my games. I have my library of the systems I regularly play typed up, and it's LONG. Yet that's only about half the systems I own, if that.

If it's possible to have too many games, I have definitely met the requirements.

Edited by The Blackangel

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

If you're referring to the pic I posted, you only saw a fraction of my games. I have my library of the systems I regularly play typed up, and it's LONG. Yet that's only about half the systems I own, if that.

If it's possible to have too many games, I have definitely met the requirements.

Yup, I was aware it was just a small portion of it, but still, from that alone it looks like you have a lot to get through. I am too lazy to type up all the games I own. But I could only imagine what it was like for you to write out all the games you owned. 

I knew a guy at another site I frequented, and he joined up on a lot of trading sites and would grab every game he could. He was trying to collect everything, good and bad to have the biggest collection. Dude was a bit out of this world though and got on many peoples nerves lol. 

Edited by Kane99

I only have it typed up so that I can see what I have when I go out if I end up somewhere like GameStop or Vintage Stock. I have ended up with multiple copies of games because I kept forgetting that I had it. For example, I wound up with 6 copies of Reckoning Kingdom Of Amalur because I would see it and think it looked like an awesome game, and have forgotten that I already owned it. So now, I keep a printout in my purse so that if I'm game shopping, I know whether I have >insert title< or not and that I don't buy a duplicate copy.

Just now, The Blackangel said:

I only have it typed up so that I can see what I have when I go out if I end up somewhere like GameStop or Vintage Stock. I have ended up with multiple copies of games because I kept forgetting that I had it. For example, I wound up with 6 copies of Reckoning Kingdom Of Amalur because I would see it and think it looked like an awesome game, and have forgotten that I already owned it. So now, I keep a printout in my purse so that if I'm game shopping, I know whether I have >insert title< or not and that I don't buy a duplicate copy.

Ah I see. Yeah I should consider making a list then too. I wouldn't mind going out to collect more games, and I know I don't want to pick up something I already have. I was thinking about getting one of those apps to track the games. Have you considered moving to an app like that? I thought of just making a list on my phone as well, figure I could use a notepad app with a check mark option and that would work just fine for me. 

But yeah how big is that printout? 

I think that you gotta change the way you look at gaming. It's not about the individual game. It's about whether or not you're enjoying your hobby. For example, I get a lot of satisfaction out of scoring really good deals on old games. Some of my games cost a dollar. Some 10. Some 60 because I was impatient and some were even free.

But end of the day you and me always stick with the same games that we play everyday or weekly. I have so many games in my list that I have and never played once ;( 

3 hours ago, Empire said:

I think that you gotta change the way you look at gaming. It's not about the individual game. It's about whether or not you're enjoying your hobby. For example, I get a lot of satisfaction out of scoring really good deals on old games. Some of my games cost a dollar. Some 10. Some 60 because I was impatient and some were even free.

But end of the day you and me always stick with the same games that we play everyday or weekly. I have so many games in my list that I have and never played once ;( 

Same here. I have more games than I care to admit that I have never once played. And I've also gotten some great deals on games. Some for less than a dollar. I also buy bundles that typically include several systems and dozens of games. I can usually get those for $50-$100. Sure, I have a hell of a lot of duplicates, but it's worth it in the chance that I get that one game that I've been wanting. Assuming of course there is one. Everything else, I can just resell.

On 12/14/2021 at 3:44 PM, The Blackangel said:

Same here. I have more games than I care to admit that I have never once played. And I've also gotten some great deals on games. Some for less than a dollar. I also buy bundles that typically include several systems and dozens of games. I can usually get those for $50-$100. Sure, I have a hell of a lot of duplicates, but it's worth it in the chance that I get that one game that I've been wanting. Assuming of course there is one. Everything else, I can just resell.

Just got Battlefield 2042 for a very good deal at £22.00 and so now even more games added, then again I have most of all the battlefiels series and see if I will get to play that after 3 hours of downloading LOL - I have BF5 for years and never played it 

On 12/15/2021 at 4:27 AM, Heatman said:

I don't get overwhelmed by the size of my backlog but what really overwhelms me is my always buying when I know that I can't touched 5% of what I had already. 

Yup, that's one issue I have to. I see a game I want in my collection and bam, I have more games that I won't be touching anytime soon. I still have Borderlands 3 sitting on my shelf, brand new, and yet to even play it. I was considering just giving it away to my nephew, since I really have no interest in playing it anytime soon.