Register Now
Kane99

Play therapy prescribes video games to combat anxiety

Geek Therapy is a non-profit that advocates for the use of video games and gaming in general to help cope and combat anxiety and other such mental issues and problems. I think it's great that there are communities out there trying to showcase the good side of video games, and how it can help people through troubling times. Gaming has helped me relax, get over a bad day or problems in my life. Gaming has kept my mind off of problems and has even helped me meet new people. 

You can read more about what they do here - https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/play-therapy-prescribes-video-games-to-combat-anxiety

Geek Therapeutics is another community I know of that is similar in this, as they too use video games for the social good and helping those with mental illness and other issues. They are a really great group of people. 

Anyway, do you think gaming is good? Can it be used for therapy? 

Wow, video games can be a prescription now by clinical psychologists and seems to help rather than a second prescription med. I like this broader approach to therapy instead of being at the mercy of legal dope pushers in white robes called pharmacists and doctors. I can see how games that help to build "patience and tolerance" and even "escapism" may help with anxiety and depression. Strangely, everything I've heard people say on this forum how other gamers in other places are highly toxic and have low "frustration tolerance" kind of makes me wonder if those gamers would be the same playing these other games that actually helps with tolerance. Maybe they wouldn't be so crazy if they played a prescription game before going 'no holds barred' on their next game. Another thing is that the general public might not be receptive to playing a video game for therapy due to their fragile reputations and societal misconception of adulthood where anger and low tolerance is authority. 

11 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Wow, video games can be a prescription now by clinical psychologists and seems to help rather than a second prescription med. I like this broader approach to therapy instead of being at the mercy of legal dope pushers in white robes called pharmacists and doctors. I can see how games that help to build "patience and tolerance" and even "escapism" may help with anxiety and depression. Strangely, everything I've heard people say on this forum how other gamers in other places are highly toxic and have low "frustration tolerance" kind of makes me wonder if those gamers would be the same playing these other games that actually helps with tolerance. Maybe they wouldn't be so crazy if they played a prescription game before going 'no holds barred' on their next game. Another thing is that the general public might not be receptive to playing a video game for therapy due to their fragile reputations and societal misconception of adulthood where anger and low tolerance is authority. 

It's nice to see an alternative to be honest. There are a lot of games out there that can easily help with anxiety and depression. But I do see a lot of people getting angry with some games, and in turn making their anger worse or stress even worse.