Register Now
Kane99

Game preservation

That's why I like cart based games, they will last a lot longer than disc based games. They will eventually degrade over time, but they've already surpassed the lifecycle that CDs,DVDs and other disc based media have. 

13 hours ago, Kane99 said:

That's why I like cart based games, they will last a lot longer than disc based games. They will eventually degrade over time, but they've already surpassed the lifecycle that CDs,DVDs and other disc based media have. 

I have uncountable CDs,and DVDs that are no longer readable. I tried so much to keep them in a good shape but all to no avail. 

7 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

My 35-40 year old cartridges still work to this day, which is why I'm still able to play my NES games and Atari 2600 games. They hold up a hell of a lot better than any disc games.

I have burnt over 500 DVDs simply because they are no longer readable and I simply have no use for them. I could have easily took them to a recycling facility but I don't have the time. 

10 hours ago, Heatman said:

I have burnt over 500 DVDs simply because they are no longer readable and I simply have no use for them. I could have easily took them to a recycling facility but I don't have the time. 

You should have kept them because it's just waste that you wasted the money that you could have generated from selling them. 

8 hours ago, Justin11 said:

I don't see any reason to preserve a CD plate when Isn't readable anymore. That will be an abandoned waste property, it will be better to get them off than the CDs being a workload for me. 

It's already a waste. There is absolutely nothing to do with the disc at that stage but get another one. It's why some people prefer software. 

21 hours ago, Justin11 said:

I don't see any reason to preserve a CD plate when Isn't readable anymore. That will be an abandoned waste property, it will be better to get them off than the CDs being a workload for me. 

How's that even possible? I would like to know because I have thousands of CDs that are no longer readable and I really need them to be readable. 

2 hours ago, Heatman said:

How's that even possible? I would like to know because I have thousands of CDs that are no longer readable and I really need them to be readable. 

Their is nothing like recycling around video game CDs. Just make do of those CDs and move on. It will be hard to revive them, unless you want to take them back to their various devs to help you on that aspect. 

Yeah cart based games last a lot longer, but they too will eventually degrade over time. It'll just take longer. Disc based games degrade faster because of the plastics and metal used in the discs. I think blu-rays last longer, but even those have a shelf life of like 20-30 years.