Register Now
Kane99

Best methods for cleaning a PC

I am in need of cleaning my PC. It's mostly just dust related. I was going to get can of air, but one of my past computers had issues with the can of air for some reason. Are there any other methods for dealing with dust buildup? I am paranoid about cleaning it, because I don't want to cause any bit of damage. What's your method for cleaning? 

Oh sorry I think I confused you. I mean cleaning it inside and out. Not in terms of viruses and such. Like cleaning the motherboard, vents, and other PC parts.

But I will keep them in mind anyway. I use CCleaner, but bever heard of the other one. Might have to check it out though. 

Refards hardware or software on windows 11 Xd - I try and not back it dirty anyway with fake programs Xd. Been using CCleaner since the day it was released and never had a single problem with it, your mileage may vary, just dont mess with the registry cleaner. It's free anyway 🙂 

Or

1. Make sure your PC is off and unplugged from the wall before starting
  2. Use compressed air (available in cans) to blow dust away
  3. Avoid using a vacuum as they apparently cause static
  4. If using compressed air on fans. Hold the fan blades to prevent the compressed air spinning and damaging them
  5. Use a lint-free cloth or cotton swab with some alcohol (or something that evaporates) to remove any grime on fan blades or components.

12 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Oh sorry I think I confused you. I mean cleaning it inside and out. Not in terms of viruses and such. Like cleaning the motherboard, vents, and other PC parts.

But I will keep them in mind anyway. I use CCleaner, but bever heard of the other one. Might have to check it out though. 

Definitely compressed air cans or the sprays. Those are pretty handy especially if there are small places where cleaning is a bit hard. 

20 minutes ago, skyfire said:

Definitely compressed air cans or the sprays. Those are pretty handy especially if there are small places where cleaning is a bit hard. 

Thanks. I tried can of air in the past, but maybe I put it too close to my PC. This guy doesn't spray so close, so maybe that's why my older PC died on me. I'll keep this in mind when I eventually get to cleaning my PC. 😄 

8 hours ago, skyfire said:

There are some USB powered vaccum cleaners too. I had bad experience with them as they get broken very easily and also not safe when there is too much heat. 

yeah I saw some on Amazon a while back, but wasn't sure if I wanted to grab one of those. Just seemed awfully cheap. But I will keep an eye out for any others that may be worth it. Do you have any suggestions for good USB vacuums? 

13 hours ago, Kane99 said:

yeah I saw some on Amazon a while back, but wasn't sure if I wanted to grab one of those. Just seemed awfully cheap. But I will keep an eye out for any others that may be worth it. Do you have any suggestions for good USB vacuums? 

I mostly used those cheap ones. These days I just use the regular one with small opening and add the filter between the joins to avoid too much power. 

Apart from that I have found the can good enough. 

22 hours ago, skyfire said:

I mostly used those cheap ones. These days I just use the regular one with small opening and add the filter between the joins to avoid too much power. 

Apart from that I have found the can good enough. 

Hows does it pick up crumbs and other debris from a keyboard for example? I've been debating on taking apart my hyperx keyboard to clean it, but I don't really feel like taking it apart and cleaning it when I could get a cheap vacuum or something to clean it out. If the one you have cleans well, can you link it to me?

13 hours ago, skyfire said:

Small power ones hardly picks up any big solid objects from the keyboard gaps. But it collects dust only. You need strong vaccum for collecting those solid objects. 

Ah okay, I'll just clean it manually. My keyboard is due for a deep cleaning anyway, and I already have my keycap puller so I'm ready to go. Just lazy about doing it lol.