Register Now
Kane99

Nintendo Online retro games have online multiplayer?

With Nintendo Online for the online service they offer, they give you games from NES, SNES and I think they just added N64 correct? Anyway, I know that these are only offered through the Nintendo Online service. I heard a while back that some of these games may even feature online play. Is this true? Cause I'd love to revisit some classic two-player NES, SNES and N64 games with family and friends. First I just need to get a switch. lol

But yeah, do some of the SNES,NES, N64 games feature online capabilities? If so, how does it work? Does it work good? 

Yes they do feature online capabilities. First you have to have someone linked as a friend on both your Switch's. Second you both have to subscribe to Switch Online. Then you just link with your friend, and you both load up the game. That's how it worked for me when I subscribed. But I quickly unsubscribed since it was just an emulator, and nostalgia is 95% or what matters to me.

2 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Yes they do feature online capabilities. First you have to have someone linked as a friend on both your Switch's. Second you both have to subscribe to Switch Online. Then you just link with your friend, and you both load up the game. That's how it worked for me when I subscribed. But I quickly unsubscribed since it was just an emulator, and nostalgia is 95% or what matters to me.

Ah nice, good to know. I heard a while back you could do it, so I was curious how it worked. I guess they make it work like the other player is just using a second controller, not sure. But it's cool that they're making these retro games playable online with friends. Now if we could see other NES and classic retro games, get this treatment somehow, that'd be cool. I'd love to see all cart based games playable online somehow. Maybe through emulation or through Nintendo's online service. But now that I see it's possible, I want to see other retro games do the same. 

I always forget that when I have Nintendo Online, I have access to this game and there are so many to play on there as well. I know the last I checked Yoshi's Island was on there and I absolutely loved that game as a kid and going back to it would be amazing! Don't they add new games to it periodically as well? I can't remember the last time I checked but when I did there was a huge number of games to choose from.

There aren't any retro FPS with online multiplayer as far as I'm aware. In terms of retro FPS, there's Turok with couch coop but it does not have an online component. Your best bet would be a game like Doom (2016) or any other modern FPS on the console.