Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

Is it worth it to play any GTA game before GTA5?

Do you need to play them? No. But you should, they are all great games, in fact I Enjoyed most of them more than GTAV, the only exception being GTA2 and the London one.

Vice city, San Andreas and GTAIV are especially not to be missed. They are all far better games  than GTAV.

You don't need to play them, but they are good games in their own right and I'd say they are worth going through to get a feel for what GTA used to be and what it has become. GTA V is vastly different than the original 3D trilogy, but it stands in its own category if anything. GTA V is more serious, but the past GTA games are more relaxed and comical, also random. 

But I'd recommend playing them all. Except for maybe GTA 3 because it's not nearly as good as the sequels. Though it's the first one I played in the series and still rather love. 

As the others have mentioned, you don't have to play them but it does make sense to try them out. You don't necessarily have to play them in order either although it would be better to do it that way.

A lot of the older GTAs had some fun things missing from the modern titles as well.

On 12/18/2021 at 6:03 PM, Darth said:

As the others have mentioned, you don't have to play them but it does make sense to try them out. You don't necessarily have to play them in order either although it would be better to do it that way.

A lot of the older GTAs had some fun things missing from the modern titles as well.

Seriously, there is no law that says it's a must to play in a particular way or games after or before some others. The freewill is there for you to play what you want. 

8 hours ago, Head_Hunter said:

Who cares, it's your choice, simply play from anywhere, and enjoy your time. I played other editions of GTA before the 5th edition, because I've been consistent buying the games immediately after their official releases. 

Seriously, no one really cares about the particular GTA game another plays first. My friend who never played any is waiting for the release of GTA 6. 

3 hours ago, Heatman said:

Seriously, no one really cares about the particular GTA game another plays first. My friend who never played any is waiting for the release of GTA 6. 

He should wait comfortably well for a game that has indefinite release date. Their is no official release date of the game. Which tells you that, the game might not be made next year. 

On 12/19/2021 at 12:22 PM, Heatman said:

Seriously, there is no law that says it's a must to play in a particular way or games after or before some others. The freewill is there for you to play what you want. 

True, play when or however you want. Most of the games in the series don't have any continuation from previous games. Some characters from past games show up from time to time, but it's not like you have to play them all or even in order. 

Play however you want, that's how I feel. 🙂

They are all separate games, it's like asking if you should get Mario Galaxy or just Super Marios bros, (ok not exactly). But standalone, are they worth playing?

Some get high praise. 

Gta5 is the best one. Alot of these guys are stuck on nostalgia and alot of them have been stubbornly hating on gta5 since before it came out and don't really enjoy games anymore.  gta4 was a great game as well but it's not a necessity the story has very little to do with gta5. San Andreas was amazing for the time but again, it's outdated.

Play gta5.

1 hour ago, Empire said:

They are all separate games, it's like asking if you should get Mario Galaxy or just Super Marios bros, (ok not exactly). But standalone, are they worth playing?

Some get high praise. 

Gta5 is the best one. Alot of these guys are stuck on nostalgia and alot of them have been stubbornly hating on gta5 since before it came out and don't really enjoy games anymore.  gta4 was a great game as well but it's not a necessity the story has very little to do with gta5. San Andreas was amazing for the time but again, it's outdated.

Play gta5.

Provided that GTA 5 stands all other editions are simply outdated. And I don't like going retrospective when another is available for me to play. 

9 hours ago, Kane99 said:

True, play when or however you want. Most of the games in the series don't have any continuation from previous games. Some characters from past games show up from time to time, but it's not like you have to play them all or even in order. 

Play however you want, that's how I feel. 🙂

It's why choice is a very big deal for gamers because it's core to whatever they play and how they feel towards the said game.