Register Now
Kane99

Tencent Acquires Turtle Rock Studios 😢

And a sad day as Tencent eats another studio. Tencent has acquired Turtle Rock Studios, who have recently made Back 4 Blood and are also responsible for. For those who don't know, tencent is a mobile game development company/publisher that is massively rich, and I believe they are based in China. Either way, they're known to be kinda deceptive and are money hungry for sure. 

You can read more about this sad news here - https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211217005008/en/ 😞  

22 hours ago, skyfire said:

Sometimes I fear that if most of the studios get acquired by chinese companies. That would pretty much destroy the gaming outside. God save us all. 

It would be a bad thing to see happen honestly. China is known for holding their studios back, so who knows how this will change Turtle Rock's games. 

8 hours ago, Techno said:

I would like a moment of silence for Turtle Rock Studio

Moment of silence over, thank you.

Yup, may they rest in peace, and never be forgotten.

Maybe the studio hires will drop out of the company and pursue other ventures. 

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

It would be a bad thing to see happen honestly. China is known for holding their studios back, so who knows how this will change Turtle Rock's games. 

I guess it will happen. But they may use resources though. like Opera was purchased by chinese investors, then gamemaker was purchased and now slowly one by one brands from video games industry are under CCP. 

The downside of the business world, as more and more independent studios get acquired and swallowed by their new corporate overlords.  The quality of their games suffers, the team behind the games suffers, the culture of the company that made such great games possible collapses behind a corporate identity...it's just bad all around when companies get acquired. 

On 12/18/2021 at 4:03 AM, Kane99 said:

And a sad day as Tencent eats another studio. Tencent has acquired Turtle Rock Studios, who have recently made Back 4 Blood and are also responsible for. For those who don't know, tencent is a mobile game development company/publisher that is massively rich, and I believe they are based in China. Either way, they're known to be kinda deceptive and are money hungry for sure. 

You can read more about this sad news here - https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211217005008/en/ 😞  

That's one good studio down to be used the same way they have used other ones, and it's not going to end well for it most likely. 

That's impressive for the company, shen you're hungry for more money, you'll definitely do anything at your reach in order to get more money in the future. What Tencent did is good for more growth in their own mobile video game studio, their is always room to merge other studios to theirs and grow more. 

I'm more concern about the financial sustainability of Tencent acquired studios.

Aside from Riot, usually it's those companies that hits gold once in their lifetime and never to be heard from again. Like how do you maintain a steady and healthy revenue?

10 hours ago, Empire said:

I'm more concern about the financial sustainability of Tencent acquired studios.

Aside from Riot, usually it's those companies that hits gold once in their lifetime and never to be heard from again. Like how do you maintain a steady and healthy revenue?

What else can they do but kill their games with loads of microtransactions and what have you, and in the end, they dump it.