Register Now
Kane99

Think Facebook will make their own console?

15 hours ago, killamch89 said:

My sentiments exactly - I don't want FaceBook or any of those other companies in the gaming space. They'll try to censor everything and I don't want any watered-down PG crap of a game.

That’s a good point; not a good idea for a social media giant to be a publisher and make consoles. They are highly invested in VR anyways. They have their hands tied there, for a while at least. 

Also, if they do ever make a console, they could potentially have the bigger userbase just because of how many people use Facebook. Now I'm not saying that would happen, considering not every facebook user is a gamer, but it would probably be easy for facebook users to navigate their profiles. 

3 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

That’s a good point; not a good idea for a social media giant to be a publisher and make consoles. They are highly invested in VR anyways. They have their hands tied there, for a while at least. 

Before they bought out Oculus, I really wanted that VR headset but since Facebook has taken over, I won't be caught looking at one.

2 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Also, if they do ever make a console, they could potentially have the bigger userbase just because of how many people use Facebook. Now I'm not saying that would happen, considering not every facebook user is a gamer, but it would probably be easy for facebook users to navigate their profiles. 

Most people hate anything Facebook because they're so intrusive so I doubt gamers would want a Facebook console. I mean, just look at the Google Stadia - it went absolutely nowhere and the same with Amazon. Most people will stick with the established 3 of Nintendo, Sony, Xbox or some company that has a huge reputation in the gaming industry like Steam. I much rather it stayed this way if I'm being honest.

19 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Before they bought out Oculus, I really wanted that VR headset but since Facebook has taken over, I won't be caught looking at one.

We got an Oculus Rift before Facebook bought it. I just need to say right now that it was nothing but a piece of shit. I recommend never buying one regardless of who owns it.

6 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

We got an Oculus Rift before Facebook bought it. I just need to say right now that it was nothing but a piece of shit. I recommend never buying one regardless of who owns it.

Noted - it was the infancy of VR tech though so that's why I wanted to try it out. 

One of my main issues with the Oculus Rift, was that the headset weighed a million pounds. You damn near needed a stand to rest your head on just to use the damn thing. The PSVR wasn't much better, if any at all. And the lens on a PSVR scratches easy as hell to the point that it's so distracting that you can barely play the damn game.

Edited by The Blackangel

On 2/11/2022 at 4:30 PM, killamch89 said:

Most people hate anything Facebook because they're so intrusive so I doubt gamers would want a Facebook console. I mean, just look at the Google Stadia - it went absolutely nowhere and the same with Amazon. Most people will stick with the established 3 of Nintendo, Sony, Xbox or some company that has a huge reputation in the gaming industry like Steam. I much rather it stayed this way if I'm being honest.

True, but you have to consider billions of people use Facebook, even if many hate it, which I agree, it should receive a ton of hate, it doesn't change the fact that their user base is massive. And I imagine facebook could easily navigate their userbase to a console. Simply sign in with your facebook email and password and you're ready to game. That's a very real possibility. 

Stadia went nowhere because Google pretty much peaced out after it bombed. It's still up today and supposedly people use it. How many, I have no clue, but as of right now, Stadia is still alive. It so far is a failure, but somehow they're keeping it afloat. I think there's still a chance it could rebound. Once streaming becomes more of the norm, Stadia could potentially increase in usage. But, they need to build up a better catalog of games. As well, any paid subscriptions, should give you access to more games than what they currently offer. I don't think it's much right now. 

True, but you have to consider billions of people use Facebook, even if many hate it, which I agree, it should receive a ton of hate, it doesn't change the fact that their user base is massive. And I imagine facebook could easily navigate their userbase to a console. Simply sign in with your facebook email and password and you're ready to game. That's a very real possibility. 

They do have a massive user base. You have to have a facebook accoun tto play the oculus quest. You have to sign into your facebook on the app to be able to get on the occulus quest.  If millions of people buy their Oculus quest2 VR then there is no doubt that people buy a console from then if it a good one. 

When it comes to Facebook, or Meta as they call themselves these days, you cannot be sure on anything. They have announced NFT marketplace and their own crypto. They might create their own consoles as well.