Register Now
PGen98

Hades Becomes First Video Game to Win a Hugo Award

Source: https://kotaku.com/hades-wins-a-hugo-award-making-history-as-first-video-1848242324

[QUOTE]

Yesterday, Hades made history by becoming the first video game to ever win a Hugo Award, an annual literary award presented to the best science fiction or fantasy works from the previous year.

Hades was developed by Supergiant Games and released after a period in early access last year. Supergiant Games creative director, Greg Kasvin, tweeted his reaction to Hades winning the historic award, stating that although he wasn’t able to make it to the award ceremony, he was “grateful” that the Hugo Awards are “recognizing work in this category, much less the work we did!”

[/QUOTE]

Hades won the newly-minted "best video game" category, becoming the very first video game to win any Hugo award, given out for literary content in the science fiction genre.  Very well done, Hades, it's always nice to see video games break new ground!

4 hours ago, Techno said:

The Hugo Award? When did video games become mainstream enough to win those. This is gonna change a lot of things. The new Era has begun for sure.

Yeah, I heard a while back I think the Last of Us was in some major award category at a movie award show as well. I at least think that it was, I forget, or I could be confusing it for another game. But yeah, video games are starting to break out and show up in other awards shows. It's pretty cool stuff. 🙂

On 12/21/2021 at 4:17 AM, Techno said:

The Hugo Award? When did video games become mainstream enough to win those. This is gonna change a lot of things. The new Era has begun for sure.

I think every industry has it's awards and often biased in it's own selection. and the thing is often some mainstream gets too much bias. so much so that people in asia assume hollywoods oscar is better than their own local awards. same goes in games a lot of good games are ignored among these sort of the titles. 

On 12/20/2021 at 7:15 AM, skyfire said:

Hades also deserves it too. It's one of the good games that I have seen so far. I mean for isometric battle games it's a good game. 

From how they have operated so far, I believe that the award was a well deserved one. You don't get to see much efforts by most of these guys lately but Hades did exceptionally well. 

23 hours ago, Justin11 said:

That's a big jump to Hades for them to claim such award which is the first given to a video game studio by Hugo, that's phenomenon indeed, we say more of the same to them to keep breaking records. 

Which game do you think is capable of winning the award next? Can you name at 2 candidates for it? 

On 5/4/2022 at 9:39 AM, Heatman said:

Which game do you think is capable of winning the award next? Can you name at 2 candidates for it? 

Heatman I wouldn't know, because I don't know what's running in the minds of the panel of judges. Maybe I'll say, Microsoft gaming studio will win it this time. Due to their enormous investment around video, their purchase of Activision blizzard and others is too exorbitant. 

21 minutes ago, Justin11 said:

Heatman I wouldn't know, because I don't know what's running in the minds of the panel of judges. Maybe I'll say, Microsoft gaming studio will win it this time. Due to their enormous investment around video, their purchase of Activision blizzard and others is too exorbitant. 

I dont think you know what an Hugo award is, an Hugo award is a literary award for the best science fiction or fantasy works and achievements , as in Short stories, Novels, Art and just recently they added a Best Videogame category in this case the first ever winner was Hades.

A gaming studio cannot win an award like this and even less for purchasing another company, that has nothing to do with the award itself and doesnt deserve an award in anyway because it was a business purchase

7 hours ago, kingpotato said:

I dont think you know what an Hugo award is, an Hugo award is a literary award for the best science fiction or fantasy works and achievements , as in Short stories, Novels, Art and just recently they added a Best Videogame category in this case the first ever winner was Hades.

A gaming studio cannot win an award like this and even less for purchasing another company, that has nothing to do with the award itself and doesnt deserve an award in anyway because it was a business purchase

Truly i don't know, that's why I sounded like a novice when @Heatman asked that question. Thanks for being here, and telling me exactly what Hugo award is all about. I've learned, and wouldn't go on and repeating myself anymore around this thread. 

On 5/6/2022 at 12:38 AM, Justin11 said:

Truly i don't know, that's why I sounded like a novice when @Heatman asked that question. Thanks for being here, and telling me exactly what Hugo award is all about. I've learned, and wouldn't go on and repeating myself anymore around this thread. 

Although with a little research you would have picked up on what a Hugo award is all about but that's by the way. Hades have won so many other awards before the Hugo award. Awards such as the GDC Game of the Year and BAFTAs for Best Game, Artistic Achievement, Game Design, Narrative, and Performer in a Supporting Role.