Register Now
m76

People will get used to NFTs - Ubisoft CEO

You know that things aren't going well when even your own employees question what's going on. But that didn't stop Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot from flying down to the Studio in Paris to personally intimidate personnel about the fact that NFTs are not going anywhere, whether they or the gamers like it or not.

Unfortunately the legitimate questions by the developers were brushed aside by the CEO, who apparently has the worst tunnel vision.

Developers at the Paris studio pressed Guillemot for more information but he declined any, instead describing future use of NFTs in broad strokes

This is made even more terrible to the devs, who has just managed to repair the reputation of Ghost Recon after the game's disastrous 2019 launch. Only for their leadership to eradicate any good will they managed to win with the fans, in a single announcement. 

If I was a part of that studio I'd feel terrible at this point.

But what does ubisoft hope? That slowly boiling the frog will work, and if they keep pushing bad practices those would become accepted. Like all previous bad practices have, such as pre-order bonuses, early access, multi tiered releases, microtransactions, lootboxes, etc.

Guillemot assured the developers that NFTs would simply become accepted over time much like how other controversial moves in the video game industry have taken root

Original article

I wouldn't be surprised if both Ubisoft and EA push for NFTs in games aggressively. Both developers are awful and greedy but can get away with a lot of things because people just love their games. FIFA definitely seems like a game where NFTS will get added to very soon.

2 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

What I don't get is that you have to play 600 hours in Ghost Recon Breakpoint to unlock NFT's in that game. That is ridiculous. This is a case of CEO's thinking they know what's best for the people. 

The majority of gamers probably won't be able to hit 600 hours. It'll only be the hardcore gamers who intentionally go for these NFTs. I don't have the dedication to do that myself. I barely have time for most games these days, so not going to entertain the idea of gaming that long for something that probably won't pay off in the long run anyway. 

57 minutes ago, Darth said:

I wouldn't be surprised if both Ubisoft and EA push for NFTs in games aggressively. Both developers are awful and greedy but can get away with a lot of things because people just love their games. FIFA definitely seems like a game where NFTS will get added to very soon.

Ubisoft already is, and I'm willing to bet EA is going to jump into the fray as well. 

3 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

What I don't get is that you have to play 600 hours in Ghost Recon Breakpoint to unlock NFT's in that game. That is ridiculous. This is a case of CEO's thinking they know what's best for the people. 

They actually know what's best for the people, and they are doing the exact opposite of that for profit.

With NFTs things are no joking matter. It's not just games that are on the line.  It's entire future of humanity, as people and companies continue to embrace the worst invention of the century: blockchain. At least with the hydrogen bomb we were wise enough to not use it. That does not seem to be the case this time.

14 hours ago, skyfire said:

I think people are already getting used to NFTs but in game NFTs make sense not the image NFTs anymore. I hate image NFTs which can be easily replicated. 

In game NFTs will and probably be replicated by the company themselves. But I couldn't care less about protecting the uniqueness of NFTs, it is the environmental implications that concern me.

Their is nothing romantic with NFTs via video games. NFTs should be invested separately for those who loves it. I am yet to go into NFTs, but the crypto project which I'm promoting for a Chinese man plans going into NFTs. But that doesn't mean, I want it in video games. Video games are mainly for entertainment and not for risky investment. It will definitely put the minds of the players on pressure, because, it is a risk that involves money which you can lose like a thin air. 

23 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Their is nothing romantic with NFTs via video games. NFTs should be invested separately for those who loves it. I am yet to go into NFTs, but the crypto project which I'm promoting for a Chinese man plans going into NFTs. But that doesn't mean, I want it in video games. Video games are mainly for entertainment and not for risky investment. It will definitely put the minds of the players on pressure, because, it is a risk that involves money which you can lose like a thin air. 

I might be getting my first NFT that's worth $100 in 2 days time 😂. There is a gaming contest that I'm in for it, hopefully I get to win it. 

"People will get used to NFT's"

No - they won't. Idiots will go all in to own something that doesn't even exist. Did you know that you can buy acreage on the moon and on Mars? How are you going to enforce that it's your land? Is the deed just a meaningless piece of paper? I found it when I was looking up how to get a star named after someone. If that's what we're doing, then I'll start selling deeds that you only get to look at as a digital image. I'll be raking in the money while ripping people off at the same time.

All hail NFT's!

Edited by The Blackangel

The kind of publicly behind NFTs is something that's wild in such a way that you would most likely believe that not taking part in it would have you missing out on something you might regret. 

1 hour ago, Heatman said:

The kind of publicly behind NFTs is something that's wild in such a way that you would most likely believe that not taking part in it would have you missing out on something you might regret. 

Have you been playing any attention? If you weren't so focused on just making as many posts as possible (You're still doing these bursts of dozens of one sentence posts in period of less than hour) and actually take some time to read what everyone has said, you would know that NFT's are a con. Know that they are a scam. You seem to approve of these things, but I don't ever recall seeing you explain why. Maybe because that would take a post longer than two sentences and we're not worth that effort. But regardless of the reason, I'm actually asking you now. If you genuinely think NFT's are good thing, please explain why.

Edited by Shagger

7 hours ago, Shagger said:

Have you been playing any attention? If you weren't so focused on just making as many posts as possible (You're still doing these bursts of dozens of one sentence posts in period of less than hour) and actually take some time to read what everyone has said, you would know that NFT's are a con. Know that they are a scam. You seem to approve of these things, but I don't ever recall seeing you explain why. Maybe because that would take a post longer than two sentences and we're not worth that effort. But regardless of the reason, I'm actually asking you now. If you genuinely think NFT's are good thing, please explain why.

NFTs is part of Ethereum blockchain right? Yes, it something that can actually turn out to be very valuable in the future or worthless as well, I can admit that. Just like even some cryptocurrencies work. I'm not asking the world to jump into NFT but as far as I'm concerned, it's an investment decision for every individual.