Register Now
Kane99

The Biggest Video Game Controversies of 2021

2021 was a year full of controversies, from Ubisoft knowing about sexual assault allegations, Activision and Blizzard doing the same, and allowing their CEO to stay on after he knew as well. The release of GTA trilogy, Gamestop stock fiasco and more. 

This year has been a mess, and that's not just because of covid. Gaming companies are being awful to their developers, their employees, and to the gamers out there. Gaming companies seem to only care about themselves and their bottom dollar. They will let a CEO like Bobby Kotick stay in power, all the while people under him have been hurt. 

I hope 2022 is a change of pace and a change to the way studios are running things. Because if we don't do anything, 2022 will just be another year of blunders that big time studios continue to make. 

Read more about this here - https://gamerant.com/biggest-video-game-controversies-2021/?utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_source=GR-FB-P&utm_campaign=GR-FB-P

I was going to say Cyberpunk until I realised that the game came out at the end of 2020. The time really has flown by because it honestly felt like just yesterday that everybody was complaining about it. The sexual harassment stuff was definitely the worst thing for 2021.

2022 is already a more better year in terms of video games development when compared to all the shit that took place in 2021. I think it's only the cancelation of E3 2022 that's been off. 

Cancellation of E3 is a controversial one no doubt, the abused lashed out by Activision blizzard to their employees, is considered as controversial.  Then the most annoying is the ongoing hardware scarcity with PS5 and Xbox series X. Which has seen demand much more greater than the supply. 

On 5/3/2022 at 9:42 AM, Justin11 said:

Cancellation of E3 is a controversial one no doubt, the abused lashed out by Activision blizzard to their employees, is considered as controversial.  Then the most annoying is the ongoing hardware scarcity with PS5 and Xbox series X. Which has seen demand much more greater than the supply. 

Scarcity happens with every product once in a while, I would consider the ongoing hardware scarcity with PS5 a controversial one when by the end of the year it's not steadily available in the market. 

On 5/4/2022 at 10:56 AM, Heatman said:

Scarcity happens with every product once in a while, I would consider the ongoing hardware scarcity with PS5 a controversial one when by the end of the year it's not steadily available in the market. 

It is devastating already, majority are having the funds but aren't seeing a PS5 to buy. When you see one though, the price set by scalpers will just discourage you from buying. 

On 12/20/2021 at 7:55 PM, Kane99 said:

2021 was a year full of controversies, from Ubisoft knowing about sexual assault allegations, Activision and Blizzard doing the same, and allowing their CEO to stay on after he knew as well. The release of GTA trilogy, Gamestop stock fiasco and more. 

This year has been a mess, and that's not just because of covid. Gaming companies are being awful to their developers, their employees, and to the gamers out there. Gaming companies seem to only care about themselves and their bottom dollar. They will let a CEO like Bobby Kotick stay in power, all the while people under him have been hurt. 

I hope 2022 is a change of pace and a change to the way studios are running things. Because if we don't do anything, 2022 will just be another year of blunders that big time studios continue to make. 

Read more about this here - https://gamerant.com/biggest-video-game-controversies-2021/?utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_source=GR-FB-P&utm_campaign=GR-FB-P

Even with Microsoft acquisition of Activision Blizzard, it didn't put an end to their lawsuit. The company was just looking for any way to take a shortcut out of the case but that's not happening. They have sacked so many workers since the lawsuits with how everything has been going, they are going to pay heavily for their crimes. Do you think Microsoft might decide to pull out of the €70 million acquisition deal of the company? 

FH4 was the first horizon game I played, and I was really hyped for FH5. Once I booted it, I got immediately upset by the lack of innovation over the last 3 years. Same awful cutscenes, worse music, beautiful but lifeless world, no story, no progression, not mentioning all the technical issues. It just feels soulless (to me), it just lacks character. It's fun to play, but 7/10 at most.

8 hours ago, Heatman said:

Even with Microsoft acquisition of Activision Blizzard, it didn't put an end to their lawsuit. The company was just looking for any way to take a shortcut out of the case but that's not happening. They have sacked so many workers since the lawsuits with how everything has been going, they are going to pay heavily for their crimes. Do you think Microsoft might decide to pull out of the €70 million acquisition deal of the company? 

I doubt it. What might eventually happen is that the CEO will be removed from power, and any other culprits as well. I think they announced recently that the leader of these companies isn't leaving, but I think once the deal is officially done, if it hasn't already been, then they will get that guy and any other people who broke the law out of there. 

3 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

I doubt it. What might eventually happen is that the CEO will be removed from power, and any other culprits as well. I think they announced recently that the leader of these companies isn't leaving, but I think once the deal is officially done, if it hasn't already been, then they will get that guy and any other people who broke the law out of there. 

There's even an article Here that I read about what's going to happen if Microsoft fires Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick. It was stated that he's going to receive $15 million in compensation should that happen. If that's true, would Microsoft be willing to pay him that because a good way forward the way I see it would be to cut ties with him in the company. 

It's pretty depressing that - seven months later - we're still seeing a lot of these things going on. Of the fifteen things on that list, a third of them are people being treated awfully by fellow staffers or those they make their games for. It's appalling and we still continue to pull back the curtain and reveal more worrying things about this industry, rather than seeing an end to the problems exposed before.

With the controversy surrounding Playstation trying to shutdown PS3, PSP, and PS Vita Stores, it didn't end there. I came across chatters Here that they are even trying to stop making new games for PlayStation 4 consoles by 2025. They are practically trying to kill of the console in my opinion.