Register Now
PGen98

Ubisoft Employees Now Calling Times "The Great Exodus" As So Many Have Left the Company

Source: https://kotaku.com/so-many-ubisoft-employees-have-quit-that-theyre-calling-1848248999

A report on Axios says that over the past 18 months so many Ubisoft employees have left the company that those remaining have begun to call it “the great exodus” and “the cut artery.”

The story says that over that time period—which coincides with both a global pandemic and a trend that’s become known as The Great Resignation—so many developers and staffers have quit that ”the departures have stalled or slowed projects”.

A look at LinkedIn departure statistics, which aren’t a perfect metric but are certainly useful, show that Ubisoft’s annual attrition rate is at 12% among its 20,000-strong workforce, which is significantly higher than competitors like EA (9%) and Epic (7%). That said, one company’s rate was even higher: Activision Blizzard, at 16%. I wonder why that could be.

Hard to be surprised given all that's gone on with Ubisoft in recent times, and understandable with covid going on, as well.  It'll be interesting to see if Ubisoft eventually goes under or finds a way to rebuild.

12 minutes ago, PGen98 said:

Source: https://kotaku.com/so-many-ubisoft-employees-have-quit-that-theyre-calling-1848248999

Hard to be surprised given all that's gone on with Ubisoft in recent times, and understandable with covid going on, as well.  It'll be interesting to see if Ubisoft eventually goes under or finds a way to rebuild.

They won't go under, they'll just hire people who are fine with their issues. I think that whole company needs a restructuring if anything. Get in a new CEO, new leaders etc. Ubisoft has made a lot of mistakes and blunders over the years, if they fix their problems, they could easily rebound. They have the money to do it. They just have to do it. 

15 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Is it really that surprising to anyone? From what I gather, they treat their employees like shit. So they're their own fault. I'm just surprised this didn't happen sooner.

What surprises me more is that they keep getting away with things. We hear bad things about the gaming industry every day now, and it seems as if no matter what they do, they find a way out of it. 

Ubisoft, Activision/Blizzard, Take-Two, and more are becoming the scummy of the scum. 

My only question is what this will do to some of the AAA titles. Our bigger franchises may suffer for a while, as different companies may end up hiring programmers that, while talented and completely qualified to do the job, don't have a clue about the game they're assigned to work on. We could get someone who has never even seen gameplay of a GTA game, end up being assigned to work on GTA6. That's not going to turn out well. So even though they are huge, massively successful games that are still going strong, the next few entries into whatever AAA franchise you want to consider could really get fucked for a while.

The gaming industry always had a high turnover rate. We don't know what is the usual turnover rate at Ubisoft, and how much worse was it in the period they are discussing. You always hear big names leaving all the time from other developers as well. So I can't draw any conclusions from this. This is anecdotal at best "We had to call someone who quit", happens sometimes, and it is not unique to them.

I could cry about the great exodus at my company too, I've seen so many colleagues come and go, some actually left, then come back, then quit again while I was there continuously. So I don't find people leaving a company to seek other opportunities or challenges automatically a sign of something sinister.

Edited by m76

On 12/21/2021 at 5:53 AM, PGen98 said:

I heard that are planning on selling the company with Sony circling around. I believe if they can pull that off, it's going to be of a massive win for them. 

23 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Rebuild should run through their mind since the company have seen such max exodus in their employees numbers. They're widely known, and they can attract talented employees working for them again. 

The situation of things in the company right now isn't favorable at all. It would be very difficult for them to salvage it, it's why they better sell. 

On 5/4/2022 at 9:30 AM, Heatman said:

The situation of things in the company right now isn't favorable at all. It would be very difficult for them to salvage it, it's why they better sell. 

Then who do you think they can sell the company to?