Register Now
Kane99

Mistakes developers made, but decided to keep in

What are some mistakes that developers made, but decided to keep in game? I know with minecraft, the creeper was an accident that they just decided to keep in. I think the spy in team fortress was also born from a glitch, but it worked so well they made it into the spy class. 

Those are the only two examples I can think of. Are there others you know of. 

7 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

What are some mistakes that developers made, but decided to keep in game? I know with minecraft, the creeper was an accident that they just decided to keep in. I think the spy in team fortress was also born from a glitch, but it worked so well they made it into the spy class. 

Those are the only two examples I can think of. Are there others you know of. 

If you are talking about the glitches, most of the time the developer fixed them as soon as possible. I also don't remember any such instances where the developers deliberately kept the glitches.

On 12/24/2021 at 12:13 AM, Justin11 said:

I don't even think the devs check for glitches before releasing their games, they simply hurry up and release whatever they deemed right without test running all categories of the game.  

It gets horrible when they are rushing the game to be released. I'm always of the opinion that if it's not ready, delay the game and get it better. 

21 hours ago, Boblee said:

It gets horrible when they are rushing the game to be released. I'm always of the opinion that if it's not ready, delay the game and get it better. 

Sureah, it shouldn't be rushed, I'm crossing my hands bro, watching for the next 'Tomb Raider, I don't want it to be derailed like EA did with their Battlefield 2042 edition. 

Edited by Justin11

This isn't quite in the same vein as the OP likely intended to keep this in, but flight in World of Warcraft (WoW) was much a case of Pandora's Box. I'd go as far as to say it was one of the biggest mistakes, or at least regrets, for the developers. To keep it in meant open world PvP dramatically declined to the point where it's seen by the overwhelming majority of players as a burden (even those playing on PvP servers), and the world had to be designed in such a way that it looked good from all angles. To remove it would mean mass subscription die off, like when it was casually mentioned there'd be no flight during the Warlords of Draenor expansion during BlizzCon.

Another mistake would be the Water Strider in WoW for similar reasons. In the Legion expansion, there's a lot of small bodies of water that interrupt land travel. To not use the Strider as one's main mount is unabashed insanity, once again forcing world designers to rethink their strategy because they simply cannot remove the mount from the game.

On 5/16/2022 at 6:18 PM, Justin11 said:

Sureah, it shouldn't be rushed, I'm crossing my hands bro, watching for the next 'Tomb Raider, I don't want it to be derailed like EA did with their Battlefield 2042 edition. 

It's just like what's happening with New World. There are so many mistakes and even bugs as well that needs to be corrected as soon as possible or we have another game that's worst then Cyberpunk 2077 when it was released. 

In Half-life 2, the dumpster throwing back players grenade back at them was initially thought to be a bug or glitches in the game but it wasn't. They developers had know about it from the playtester and decided to set it all across the game to have such reaction when players throw anything into dumpsters. 

On 5/20/2022 at 8:43 AM, Boblee said:

It's just like what's happening with New World. There are so many mistakes and even bugs as well that needs to be corrected as soon as possible or we have another game that's worst then Cyberpunk 2077 when it was released. 

I don't even think that, video game companies looks into this things that we keep repeating here. All they care is just what's running in their mind. 

20 minutes ago, Empire said:

Mistakes are everywhere, whether it's right or wrong, there will be mistakes. You can't escape. There is no escape.

xD, because we are humans, and we aren't made perfect, only the angels are created perfect. So, the game devs/publishers will always fluff their lines, abd mistakes will be seen in video games from time to time.