Register Now
Kane99

Kids are turning to video games to help with their anxiety

This is what I pretty much did growing up. For me, gaming was my release from all the problems, the anxiety and fear. If I could sit down and play TMNT 2 the arcade game on the NES with my friends, then that's happiness right there. Growing up, video games have been the escape I needed from a lot of the down times. From the bullying, to my weight issues to just general stress with school and work. 

I'm glad to see todays youth finding support in gaming. I would also argue that they also find support in the many creators showcasing games on their twitch and youtube channels. We're in a very open society these days, and gamers are finding themselves friends and family through the games. 

I can totally see video games being a means to help. And I see it more every day with all the support networks that are starting up. From support for mental health, human rights, and so much more. 

Anyway, experts are saying that gaming can be beneficial for some. You can read more about that here: https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/can-video-games-help-kids-anxiety-mental-health-170958009.html

This is stupid. The people who funded this study are stupid. The "Scientists" who performed the study are stupid.

What they "discovered" here is that when people (whether it be kids or adults) spend time engaging with a hobby, it provides relief from anxiety and escape from the pressures and stresses of day to day life, you know, WHAT HOBBIES DO BY THIER VERY NATURE! When are these ignorant pricks going to realise that gaming is no different? I mean for fuck sake, it really isn't that complicated.

A lot of people don’t have many hobbies and if they did, it probably requires more money than gaming or transportation and also patience/concentration to learn a new craft which many sugar crazed young adults may find boring. Even doing sports for some can be intimidating whether it be not wanting to look like a fool due to inexperience, not knowing anyone else, or afraid of self image. Gaming is easy access. So that sets it far apart from other hobbies as a better alternative. And if parents get involved as stated, then those things can be family fun which replaces the old board games; so that can help them from being asocial. Parents have to break their barriers of false adulthood and spend quality time gaming with their children, if that is the preferred hobby to reduce anxiety. We know gaming as a hobby reduces anxiety for different reasons. And it doesn't hurt to have the support of research to present backed information for those that have a total misconception of gaming. 

9 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Kids or teens even play often times than adults when it comes to video games. If you don't restrict their urge in playing games, they can play all day long without thinking about anything.  

To be honest, in asia, a lot of adults play video games to escape their pains, their sad realities and also to have fun along the way. 

7 hours ago, skyfire said:

To be honest, in asia, a lot of adults play video games to escape their pains, their sad realities and also to have fun along the way. 

It is understandable that way, everyone plays. But if you don't control the addiction of playing games around children they wouldn't stop. 

On 12/28/2021 at 1:52 AM, Justin11 said:

If you're simply playing to erase the boredom their is no problem with that. But such is not the case for school children they aren't meant to get addicted to games on order to remain focused. 

Well considering the games also pay for itself with rewards in game like say axie infinity. I am pretty sure those addictions are going to be rewarding too. 

Not at all surprised really. I think a lot of people could have said this without there being a study for it. Playing video games are extremely relaxing and will calm you down a lot when in a stressful situation. It's a great way to relieve some stress

On 12/30/2021 at 9:37 AM, skyfire said:

Well considering the games also pay for itself with rewards in game like say axie infinity. I am pretty sure those addictions are going to be rewarding too. 

axie infinity NFT game is a rewarding one but it's mainly for the financial stable individuals and not for the average or poor masses. If you're rich, you'll simply double your money playing the rich peoples game named: axie infinity. 

Not necessary there are axie infinity scholarships on discord. tell the group and guilds why you want this. and they may give you chance, you will be given an account where you earn 70 percent of reward and the grant giving guild gets 30 percent till they recoup their investment into training you. once you are square with their funding what you earn is on your own.