Register Now
Kane99

Kids are turning to video games to help with their anxiety

2 hours ago, Jasmin said:

Situations have change, I don't think these days parents put pressure in their kids. But I do agree that some parents still pressurize kids to perform better.

I'd argue that the parents do still put pressure on their kids to perform but aren't really help them to perform at their best. They're just leaving the kids to raise themselves and expect them to become fully functioning adults without any support structure.

For me, reading was always my escape.  This is what reading has done for me.  It still kind of is.  When I pick up a book and read, it allows me to focus on something else instead of focusing on whatever it is that is stressing me out. 

Games kind of let me do the same thing.  I can play a game that is fun and lets my brain wonder off instead of focusing on my stress.

1 hour ago, JennyorAlice said:

For me, reading was always my escape.  This is what reading has done for me.  It still kind of is.  When I pick up a book and read, it allows me to focus on something else instead of focusing on whatever it is that is stressing me out. 

Games kind of let me do the same thing.  I can play a game that is fun and lets my brain wonder off instead of focusing on my stress.

I wish I read books more often. Last time I read a book was at my old job as a phone support rep. I hated it, but I was able to read the first Game of Thrones book. The Fire and Ice series I believe it was from. Anyway, I wish I read more books these days, because I had a great time reading books again. But now days I just play games, watch movies and tv and that's it. 

Edited by Kane99

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

I wish I read books more often. Last time I read a book was at my old job as a phone support rep. I hated it, but I was able to read the first Game of Thrones book. The Fire and Ice series I believe it was from. Anyway, I wish I read more books these days, because I had a great time reading books again. But now days I just play games, watch movies and tv and that's it. 

It's mostly games for me too, but I still get to read sometimes. But it's usually late at night and paragraphs at a time. That's a pretty far cry from that time I read The Stand in one day, but right now I'm slowly making way through the sequel to The Girl with All the Gifts.

4 hours ago, JennyorAlice said:

I used to have that connection with reading especially when it's fictional books. They are very capable of taking me into the world they are built in. But for a while now, I haven't been that committed to reading like I used to in the past. 

On 7/8/2022 at 12:42 AM, Justin11 said:

My small nephew is an example of the topic of discussion, he just love playing to make himself happy, wave off with any pressure or sadness. He's just too addictive at the moment with video games. 

People usually tend to get addicted to what makes them happy on the long run. It's been the pattern for people in most cases. I have been there as well but it wasn't with playing video games but I know so many of my friends that gaming helped them with their anxiety and on the long run, they got addicted to it. 

16 hours ago, Heatman said:

People usually tend to get addicted to what makes them happy on the long run. It's been the pattern for people in most cases. I have been there as well but it wasn't with playing video games but I know so many of my friends that gaming helped them with their anxiety and on the long run, they got addicted to it. 

Video game ease pressure no doubt, but I can't fancy myself being addicted at this time of my life. In the past me and my teenage friends were addicted in playing games, since we are kids, and we aren't thinking much about life, it's just we and entertainment after school. 

On 7/24/2022 at 8:29 AM, Justin11 said:

Video game ease pressure no doubt, but I can't fancy myself being addicted at this time of my life. In the past me and my teenage friends were addicted in playing games, since we are kids, and we aren't thinking much about life, it's just we and entertainment after school. 

Well, you're not a kid anymore and most likely all your anxieties as a kid are gone or replaced by the one's that comes in at adult level. If gaming helps with making it easier to manage, that's good.

You don't necessarily need to be addicted to it before it works as long as you play in a healthy way. 

4 hours ago, Heatman said:

Well, you're not a kid anymore and most likely all your anxieties as a kid are gone or replaced by the one's that comes in at adult level. If gaming helps with making it easier to manage, that's good.

You don't necessarily need to be addicted to it before it works as long as you play in a healthy way. 

Yes, I'm no longer a kid, such anxiety have waned. I play when I want to play and have fun, I have my day job that helps me meet up with ends needs. If I abandon the needful for gaming, I'll be riding on trenches. 

Gaming in adult life helps me to return the state of mind of a child - with no problems, when everything seems easy. It helps to take all the difficulties easy, it really helps a lot! All in all, "adult life problems" are nothing but the "children" of adult state of mind. I use every option to be like kid - not in the sense of irresponsibility but in the sense of joy and soul/mental freedom. Gaming for me is necessary to achieve it.

15 hours ago, Cognizant said:

Gaming in adult life helps me to return the state of mind of a child - with no problems, when everything seems easy. It helps to take all the difficulties easy, it really helps a lot! All in all, "adult life problems" are nothing but the "children" of adult state of mind. I use every option to be like kid - not in the sense of irresponsibility but in the sense of joy and soul/mental freedom. Gaming for me is necessary to achieve it.

Well put! 

On 8/3/2022 at 1:11 AM, Cognizant said:

That's a good way of putting it. I feel like for me, it does bring me back to my childhood of first experiencing games. But I think it's more than that. 

We shouldn't view video games as something only we as children enjoyed. For me, they're no different than movies, tv shows, books and so on. Essentially it's just another escape from the troubles of life. If anything, I still feel like that teen kid who enjoyed video games growing up. I just got older, that's it. I may be an adult now, but I don't feel like one haha.