Register Now
Kane99

Kids are turning to video games to help with their anxiety

Video games have been with children long time ago, it doesn't mean they're using it to quench on their anxiety issues. Games makes them busy, when I was a child I loved it more than now, it makes me busy and interactive with my peers. 

7 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Video games have been with children long time ago, it doesn't mean they're using it to quench on their anxiety issues. Games makes them busy, when I was a child I loved it more than now, it makes me busy and interactive with my peers. 

I think it's more than just that. Personally, I have always felt like games have helped with my anxieties and some other problems. I think for the most part, you're correct though, as kids just like to have fun and play games accordingly for that reason. But of course, as you get older and learn that life can be a pain in the ass, gaming can in turn become a tool to fight off that anxiety, depression and so on. Of course it isn't something to use in place of actual help and therapy, but games can relax us, help us take out minds off of the troubles of life. 

So early on, kids may not be using it for that reason, but they will eventually. 

6 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I think it's more than just that. Personally, I have always felt like games have helped with my anxieties and some other problems. I think for the most part, you're correct though, as kids just like to have fun and play games accordingly for that reason. But of course, as you get older and learn that life can be a pain in the ass, gaming can in turn become a tool to fight off that anxiety, depression and so on. Of course it isn't something to use in place of actual help and therapy, but games can relax us, help us take out minds off of the troubles of life. 

So early on, kids may not be using it for that reason, but they will eventually. 

What you've said is very much ideal. Children or kids wouldn't understand it the way you've explained but in tbe future time, they'll come to realize the importance of the games they've played. I didn't come to realize the importance of video games in my life as a kid the way I've come to understand it now. When I'm feeling depressed or bored I run to video games to keep myself busy and enjoying the moment. 

On 8/1/2022 at 7:19 PM, Kane99 said:

Video games are a big thing in helping me with my anxiety. As of late I've been a bit down and depressed. Work stuff mostly. Gaming has relaxed me a lot. If I ever feel down or depressed, gaming has often picked me up. 

It's never easy dealing with depression. Yes, it's true that playing video games can work for some people feeling depressed but it's more like a temporary fix in my opinion. The best way to go about it would be fixing that which is making you depressed and have a lot of anxiety issues because it would get to a point where playing video games wouldn't work again. 

8 hours ago, Heatman said:

It's never easy dealing with depression. Yes, it's true that playing video games can work for some people feeling depressed but it's more like a temporary fix in my opinion. The best way to go about it would be fixing that which is making you depressed and have a lot of anxiety issues because it would get to a point where playing video games wouldn't work again. 

I agree with you there. It is a temporary fix or just a way to get the depression out of my head for a while. Once I'm done I may feel a bit more relaxed, but the depression comes back around. 

But I'm also hopeful that things will get better. 

46 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

I agree with you there. It is a temporary fix or just a way to get the depression out of my head for a while. Once I'm done I may feel a bit more relaxed, but the depression comes back around. 

But I'm also hopeful that things will get better. 

I know that very well because I have been down that road in the past and it was an ugly one. I used playing video games as much as I could but had the same result.

I later had to go for therapy and it really helped me a lot to recover. Although, I was passing through emotional, financial and psychological problems a lot back then. 

On 8/6/2022 at 2:35 PM, Heatman said:

I know that very well because I have been down that road in the past and it was an ugly one. I used playing video games as much as I could but had the same result.

I later had to go for therapy and it really helped me a lot to recover. Although, I was passing through emotional, financial and psychological problems a lot back then. 

Yeah things are a bit rough on my end at the moment, but gaming does help. Plus during the night hours I hang in a voice chat with friends in Discord and we sometimes watch movies as well. That's been a really good stress relief for me. Just having people to talk to helps a lot too. 

11 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Yeah things are a bit rough on my end at the moment, but gaming does help. Plus during the night hours I hang in a voice chat with friends in Discord and we sometimes watch movies as well. That's been a really good stress relief for me. Just having people to talk to helps a lot too. 

We all have our ups and downs ; that's life. No matter how tough it gets, the last time to it is not giving up but meet whatever that comes our way with the bulls horn. One way or another, we are going to beat it. If gaming helps you with that even if it's temporarily, make it use of it whenever you can. 

On 8/9/2022 at 9:48 AM, Heatman said:

One way or another, we are going to beat it. If gaming helps you with that even if it's temporarily, make it use of it whenever you can. 

I think this is a positive note to end on. I'll lock this thread unless the moderation team deems it unnecessary, as I'm of the opinion it's run its course and risks points farming. Thanks to everyone for their contributions, and if you are affected by the topics raised in this thread please seek professional help where possible.

Edited by Withywarlock