Register Now
StaceyPowers

What makes a good video game trailer or teaser?

1 minute ago, m76 said:

A teaser trailer should sell the idea of the game. It has to be intriguing,it does not need to show anything about the game itself, it's job is to be memorable and to create an atmosphere that sucks you in.

This is essentially the academic answer. A developer friend had told me that when he'd seen a video of mine, words along the lines of selling a sensation, not the product itself.

Even then I'd find it very difficult to point to what it is I like about certain trailers. Dead Island and most World of Warcraft trailers hit all the right marks, and you'll always have people saying those people should make a movie, without considering of course that writing, recording, producing and editing a two minute trailer or what-have-you is not the same as making a 90 minute feature length film.

I think that sound is an essential part of the trailer. There's nothing I loathe more than seeing a trailer set to a shitty song, like it's an AMV put together by a teenager. This applies only to cinematic trailers, as gameplay trailers should have little added music. Cinematic trailers should be flashy and provide a sense of the story and atmosphere, while gameplay trailers should emphasize core aspects of the game, and added developer commentary would be welcome as well.

On 12/24/2021 at 11:34 PM, m76 said:

A teaser trailer should sell the idea of the game. It has to be intriguing,it does not need to show anything about the game itself, it's job is to be memorable and to create an atmosphere that sucks you in.

But not when they go about it being misleading just because they want sell the game's idea. I have watched so many trailers that end up with such outcome. 

On 1/23/2022 at 12:53 PM, Empire said:

I think that sound is an essential part of the trailer. There's nothing I loathe more than seeing a trailer set to a shitty song, like it's an AMV put together by a teenager. This applies only to cinematic trailers, as gameplay trailers should have little added music. Cinematic trailers should be flashy and provide a sense of the story and atmosphere, while gameplay trailers should emphasize core aspects of the game, and added developer commentary would be welcome as well.

I would really care less about the sound used in the trailer because it's something that can easily be changed in the real play when it's officially out. 

8 hours ago, Justin11 said:

When the narration goes straight to the point of the video reviews and not saying contrary to what the game offers. 

Seriously, that really happens when they are trying too hard to sell the game by over pushing it with lots of information that's not necessary. 

On 1/25/2022 at 9:33 AM, Boblee said:

I have seen some trailers where some characters appear in it and in the actual game or movie they would be missing. Why is that? 

This is something that's very common in movies trailers. I have seen a lot of them and it never get old. It happened in the Avengers.