Register Now
StaceyPowers

What makes a good video game trailer or teaser?

A good trailers sells the story, the characters, some cinematics, but mostly gameplay to see what we're getting. Cinematic trailers are dope and all, but they don't give you an actual picture of what this game will play like. Game trailers are much better, because it shows you what you can expect. And hey, give us details about the story and characters to sell it more. 

25 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

A good trailers sells the story, the characters, some cinematics, but mostly gameplay to see what we're getting. Cinematic trailers are dope and all, but they don't give you an actual picture of what this game will play like. Game trailers are much better, because it shows you what you can expect. And hey, give us details about the story and characters to sell it more. 

Exactly, once the game trailer doesn't sell the story short, by giving good insight into the storyline and characterizations, then everything is checked out. 

14 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Some people argue that the graphics in the trailer matters very well but I don't really look up to that first as long as the story and characters are well portrayed. 

16 hours ago, Boblee said:

Well, you can very well know how the game is going to be graphically with what you witnessed in the trailer especially with the Announcement trailer. 

Exactly, the trailer is designed to show what the game is supposed to look like by all means. If it looks bad in the trailer, it's definitely going look bad at release. 

On 1/25/2022 at 7:28 AM, Heatman said:

Seriously, that really happens when they are trying too hard to sell the game by over pushing it with lots of information that's not necessary. 

Then, it will look thou, the video game company paid them to do such a review for them in order to hype the game and attract sales. 

9 hours ago, Heatman said:

It's actually why I don't base my decision making on just watching trailers only because they can never be enough. 

Yeah, that's for sure when it comes to deciding on the game you buy based on just the trailer. It's really a bad decision. 

On 1/27/2022 at 3:08 AM, Heatman said:

Some people argue that the graphics in the trailer matters very well but I don't really look up to that first as long as the story and characters are well portrayed. 

To some people sure. But the trailer that should sell a game, is one that shows what you're getting. That's why I don't like cinematic ones, because they give you the wrong picture. They may give you story, but it doesn't show the gameplay. Now, if they mix cinematic with gameplay, then awesome. But cinematic trailers alone don't paint the picture needed I think. 

15 hours ago, Kane99 said:

To some people sure. But the trailer that should sell a game, is one that shows what you're getting. That's why I don't like cinematic ones, because they give you the wrong picture. They may give you story, but it doesn't show the gameplay. Now, if they mix cinematic with gameplay, then awesome. But cinematic trailers alone don't paint the picture needed I think. 

Exactly, they are cinematic trailers for a reason and it's why I prefer gameplay trailer because it's where the real deal is portrayed. 

21 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Then, it will look thou, the video game company paid them to do such a review for them in order to hype the game and attract sales. 

Well, everything is all about the marketing strategy that best suits the need of the company behind it. 

15 hours ago, Boblee said:

Well, everything is all about the marketing strategy that best suits the need of the company behind it. 

That's what really matters to the owner, ability to push for the product sales by hiring different influencers to push up the item(s) to attract potential suitors. 

2 hours ago, Justin11 said:

That's what really matters to the owner, ability to push for the product sales by hiring different influencers to push up the item(s) to attract potential suitors. 

Companies do that all the time and it's not limited to video games companies because they all set up to promote and sell their products. 

It has to be something that is exciting but at the same time, it has to be a trailer that doesn't reveal too much about the game itself. I know that a lot of movies tend to make this mistake where they just show us way too many plot points which ends up being unsurprising when you watch it