Register Now
StaceyPowers

What makes a good video game trailer or teaser?

It depends on how insane the reveal is, the best trailers are the ones you wanted but didn't expect. Like take for example Metroid Dread, that's the type of trailer that is the best. The one that no one expects, but a ton of people wanted, makes the trailer fun to watch.

2 hours ago, Techno said:

It depends on how insane the reveal is, the best trailers are the ones you wanted but didn't expect. Like take for example Metroid Dread, that's the type of trailer that is the best. The one that no one expects, but a ton of people wanted, makes the trailer fun to watch.

That's completely true to an extent. When a trailer gives an absolute insight to the game, it's definitely going to sell the game without any stress. 

22 hours ago, Darth said:

It has to be something that is exciting but at the same time, it has to be a trailer that doesn't reveal too much about the game itself. I know that a lot of movies tend to make this mistake where they just show us way too many plot points which ends up being unsurprising when you watch it

There is no way you would expect the game's trailer to show you everything. Anyone who expects them to do that is only being delusional. 

10 hours ago, Heatman said:

There is no way you would expect the game's trailer to show you everything. Anyone who expects them to do that is only being delusional. 

Some gamers can really be that delusional when it comes to what they are looking toward to getting from the games they play. 

On 1/31/2022 at 7:01 AM, Heatman said:

Companies do that all the time and it's not limited to video games companies because they all set up to promote and sell their products. 

Yeah, and as such it wouldn't elude video game owners. They are simply looking for massive sales too, that's why they seek promotion from video game YouTubers. 

On 1/31/2022 at 9:53 AM, Techno said:

A big reveal is a big help in hyping up a game. But it's not always what gamers want. They just want to see what the game is going to be like. I didn't see the Metroid Dread trailer, but I assume it mixed cinematic with gameplay correct? If so, that's the way to do it. Give us a reveal that shows us some spice and gives us the gory details of what we can expect with the story and gameplay. 

26 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

A big reveal is a big help in hyping up a game. But it's not always what gamers want. They just want to see what the game is going to be like. I didn't see the Metroid Dread trailer, but I assume it mixed cinematic with gameplay correct? If so, that's the way to do it. Give us a reveal that shows us some spice and gives us the gory details of what we can expect with the story and gameplay. 

Exactly, it should be done in a way that once any gamers gets to see it, they would be pressed to get it once it's out or even go for a pre order. 

13 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Once they are able to get their reveal trailers accurately, it's all in the good interest of the game because most gamers wouldn't want to miss out on it. 

9 hours ago, Heatman said:

Once they are able to get their reveal trailers accurately, it's all in the good interest of the game because most gamers wouldn't want to miss out on it. 

Any video game company that really understands their game's marketing strategy, would never sell short their games on their trailers. 

Are there any trailers you guys saw that hyped up a game, and it turned out to be bad? I remember Dead Island got some hate with how different the story was compared to the cinematic trailer. They tried to make it look like a sad story, but it turned out to not have much of a story at all. I don't even recall if they had cutscenes. If they did I mostly forgot the story.  

11 hours ago, Heatman said:

Here is what WatchMojo complied on trailers that aren't that good representation of their games. 

This is one of the reasons why I really love making use of WatchMojo when it comes to getting accurate gaming information.