Register Now
StaceyPowers

Non-linear storytelling in games

I like both. Which do I prefer? Well, I can’t really place a preference to either. I’d say I like both equally in theory. But in practice, linear games are what I hold up on a pedestal. Just comes down to what you are doing at the time of whatever you are doing 😛 

I'm not a big fan of flashback stories. TLOU2 was an exception. I'd prefer they start at the early stuff and then progress in a linear format. That to me brings greater immersion when you know you are playing in present time. Because if playing in a flashback, well, you already know you will survive whatever happens so it takes away from the moment. 

On 1/25/2022 at 7:36 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

I'm not a big fan of flashback stories. TLOU2 was an exception. I'd prefer they start at the early stuff and then progress in a linear format. That to me brings greater immersion when you know you are playing in present time. Because if playing in a flashback, well, you already know you will survive whatever happens so it takes away from the moment. 

It's more like cutting off all the suspense that you could have had in the game while playing. It completely takes away all the fun in the game in my opinion.