Register Now
StaceyPowers

What were the most groundbreaking arcade games?

Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, and Mario Bros are some of the most impactful games. They led the way into games as we know them today. DK gave us Mario Bros. Mario Bros gave us SMB. Pac-Man gave us top down views instead of side scrolling views. There's also Galaga which paved the way for space shooters. Q*Bert helped open the world of puzzle games.

A lot of my favorites, and a lot of gateway games.

10 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, and Mario Bros are some of the most impactful games. They led the way into games as we know them today. DK gave us Mario Bros. Mario Bros gave us SMB. Pac-Man gave us top down views instead of side scrolling views. There's also Galaga which paved the way for space shooters. Q*Bert helped open the world of puzzle games.

A lot of my favorites, and a lot of gateway games.

Yeah, you're very correct, I forgot to mention Pac-Man. It can never be excluded when mentioning arcade games that's really influencing in the gaming industry. 

I was going to add Frogger, but for some reason decided not to. It opened us up to obstacle games. Dig Dug is a game that I wouldn't say really led to any specific genre (despite being iconic), but its mechanics and game play design have been featured in a number of games. The most notable one that I can think of at the moment is SMB2.

Edited by The Blackangel

17 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I was going to add Frogger, but for some reason decided not to. It opened us up to obstacle games. Dig Dug is a game that I wouldn't say really led to any specific genre (despite being iconic), but its mechanics and game play design have been featured in a number of games. The most notable one that I can think of at the moment is SMB2.

Well, Frogger is definitely amongst them, it can't be left out being that it was developed by Konami at the time where you direct frogs to their home, something that's more like Animal Crossing now. 

Joust is another one action arcade game that can't be overlooked. 

Once again, Joust is a game that I considered, but I couldn't decide where it would land in any gaming style that it might have led to.

Asteroids is another. It is the ultimate classic space shooter. I wasn't mentioning it, because I had already mentioned Galaga. There is no more iconic space shooter game than Asteroids. Despite the fact that you're just an oddly shaped triangle shooting white lines at other oddly polygons on a black screen, it is one of the most under looked games in the history of gaming. At least by the gamers of today. But that is simply because none of them know it exists. It may not look like much, but when it hit the Atari 2600 home console in 1981 people just about shit their pants. Everyone who was anyone had Asteroids at home on their Atari. I had one of their biggest competitors of the time, Colecovision. But I only had 3 games for it. Ladybug, which was a Pac-Man spinoff. Donkey Kong. And the 3rd one I cant remember. I think it was either Pitfall, Frogger, or Centipede most likely.

Far Cry Evolution was better. Halo was more of a Star Wars geek thing. Like an FPS without the blood and the "violence" of it all, felt like softly cushioned blows throughout tiny little maps to run around in circles in and respawn over and over. To me it was terrible and unastounding in every way. Nothing special about the game. It enabled four players at once online, I think that was it. Still wasn't worth playing. 

18 hours ago, Empire said:

Far Cry Evolution was better. Halo was more of a Star Wars geek thing. Like an FPS without the blood and the "violence" of it all, felt like softly cushioned blows throughout tiny little maps to run around in circles in and respawn over and over. To me it was terrible and unastounding in every way. Nothing special about the game. It enabled four players at once online, I think that was it. Still wasn't worth playing. 

You know preferences differ because I know at least 3 of my guys that really find the game that interesting. It's why I wouldn't rule out any game that quickly. 

This is why I posted a thread asking for peoples locations. Arcade Gaming  in the USA was/is a little different from other countries.

OT: I'm pickin up what you're puttin down Blackangel. I was a bit meh when the Atari 2600 came out .The graphics were pretty gruesome to me.Also: Colecovision! My older brother had that and that's when I thought now we're talkin.But yeah we only had donkey kong Jr. and even though the graphics were great, that's to this day one of my least liked games in history.It's all personal but I'd say Pac man,Donkey kong,and I'd include Asteroids for some reason.But the thing that was awesome on the 2600 was Pitfall! That blew my mind and introduced the concept of basements/cellars to me. It's a whole new world down there.

16 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

I imagine pong would be a big one. Didn't it have an arcade machine back then. But of course Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Astroids, space invaders etc. 

Seriously, Pong was one that can never be excluded no matter what happens. The memory of the game is still very fresh.