Register Now
GeppyX

Should I get the Nintendo Switch?

I don't know. I've always been kinda split with the Nintendo Switch. I was stoked when it was first coming out. I remember being hyped about the new system. It definitely looks better than the Wii U and I was disappointed in the Wii U. The only problem is I have yet to find many exclusives on the Switch that I want. Some of the main ones are already on the Wii U, such as Mario Kart or Smash. I just don't see a lot of additions. 

I noticed that the Switch does have some shmups such as Cotton and several others. However, those titles are already on the PlayStation 4.. And PS4 has better quality. The one benefit to having the Switch is you can play these games on a handheld. But I don't know if that feature can justify me spending a few hundred bucks. I want to like the Switch but I tried it at GameStop and honestly wasn't all that impressed.

So I'm split.. 

What do I not like about the Switch?

1. Graphics are not superior, compared to modern standards on a 4kTV. 

2. Lack of exclusive games that I really want

What makes me consider a Switch?

1. Being able to play shmups on a handheld

2. I want a PS5 but hard to get one

3. It looks nicer than the Wii U, which isn't saying much

Edited by GeppyX

It may seem as though there’s not many exclusive’s on the Switch, but I’m going to assume that all you have seen thus far is what’s on the shelves at GameStop. If you got one and checked the eShop, you will find hundreds. Especially if you sign up for Nintendo Online. That will give you access to a lot of titles from past systems such as NES & SNES. I currently have 118 DDL’s on my Switch, plus 30 something carts, many of which are multiple game carts. As for the graphics, I think you might be off a bit. For example, I have Skyrim on PS4, and Switch. The graphics are identical. Also have the game on PS3, but that’s another point.

So I would recommend either getting one, or if you’re close to anyone who has one, asking them to let you poke around in the eShop on the promise that you aren’t buying but just trying to decide whether to buy one or not. Also it supports online play from anywhere. So as long as you have a good wi-fi connection, you and your friends can game together.

Are you not into the exclusive games Nintendo has? They pretty much have the most exclusives among consoles, but I get that some of their games aren't all that interesting to everyone. I like my share of the typical Mario games, but I don't get into a lot of the other franchises like I used to. I'd still love to get a switch, but I'm in no rush. 

On 12/27/2021 at 4:50 PM, The Blackangel said:

It may seem as though there’s not many exclusive’s on the Switch, but I’m going to assume that all you have seen thus far is what’s on the shelves at GameStop. If you got one and checked the eShop, you will find hundreds. Especially if you sign up for Nintendo Online. That will give you access to a lot of titles from past systems such as NES & SNES. I currently have 118 DDL’s on my Switch, plus 30 something carts, many of which are multiple game carts. As for the graphics, I think you might be off a bit. For example, I have Skyrim on PS4, and Switch. The graphics are identical. Also have the game on PS3, but that’s another point.

So I would recommend either getting one, or if you’re close to anyone who has one, asking them to let you poke around in the eShop on the promise that you aren’t buying but just trying to decide whether to buy one or not. Also it supports online play from anywhere. So as long as you have a good wi-fi connection, you and your friends can game together.

Yea. I just watched a video from Metal Jesus and I'm really surprised at how many games the Switch does have, that look interesting to me. Now I really want one. But do you think that they will out of Gamestop pretty soon if something else comes along? Where I'm at, Gamestop doesn't offer 3DS or Wii U anymore. Only PS4/5, Xbox Series X/One and the Switch. 

11 hours ago, GeppyX said:

Yea. I just watched a video from Metal Jesus and I'm really surprised at how many games the Switch does have, that look interesting to me. Now I really want one. But do you think that they will out of Gamestop pretty soon if something else comes along? Where I'm at, Gamestop doesn't offer 3DS or Wii U anymore. Only PS4/5, Xbox Series X/One and the Switch. 

I'm missing something. I think you left a word out of your question.

We mostly buy from the newegg as they ship internationally. And also switch is one time investment for most of the games. I don't keep on buying minor upgraded models like those 4k support one. But apart from that I think if you want to play switch based games then it's worth a buy.

Well I ended up getting the Switch OLED and I must say I am impressed. It looks much better than I thought. For some reason I wasn't impressed when I tried it at Gamestop. But I have Darksiders Genesis and Ori. Both look good on the handheld and on the tv. I also got the Genesis and N64 expansion pack. I ordered the Psyikio Schmup Collectors Edition and am looking forward to the shooters. 

I'm happy that I got it. I can't get the PS5 for a while, so I'm having plenty of fun with this. 

On 1/3/2022 at 3:28 AM, GeppyX said:

Well I ended up getting the Switch OLED and I must say I am impressed. It looks much better than I thought. For some reason I wasn't impressed when I tried it at Gamestop. But I have Darksiders Genesis and Ori. Both look good on the handheld and on the tv. I also got the Genesis and N64 expansion pack. I ordered the Psyikio Schmup Collectors Edition and am looking forward to the shooters. 

I'm happy that I got it. I can't get the PS5 for a while, so I'm having plenty of fun with this. 

Congrats man - I'll definitely get myself one when I'm done buying and building my PC.

My three devices serve as a handheld devices for me, I know mobile gaming aren't on same level Switch but at least their are games on mobile phone that got quality, COD mobile, GTA Vice City, Dream League soccer all make sense with mobile phone. 

Why are people just talking about Nintendo switch not having exclusives. Personally I don't see that as a big deal, PS5 was made exclusive and people still were complaining that they can't lay their hands or even get to own one for themselves. Nintendo switch was made for people to enjoy and play games that they enjoy and these games are made readily available to everyone and from anywhere. This to me is good as I wouldn't want to be stuck trying to get an exclusive game and I wouldn't get access to it until after a few months because it is limited.