Register Now
GeppyX

Should I get the Nintendo Switch?

you can also wait for a steam deck if you worry about the price. Nintendo games are quite expensive. If you are buying switch only for exclusives then the standard model is fine and the OLED model is not that huge of an improvement. personally i think the switch is a great console, but there are caveats. its not great hardware for the price, and if theres multi platform games i would argue not to buy them on switch. However the one thing nintendo will always have is its games. The exclusives avaliable on the switch are what sell it, and although games are more expensive they always hold their prices so if you want you can always trade it in for the next.

On 7/23/2022 at 9:35 AM, Empire said:

you can also wait for a steam deck if you worry about the price. Nintendo games are quite expensive. If you are buying switch only for exclusives then the standard model is fine and the OLED model is not that huge of an improvement. personally i think the switch is a great console, but there are caveats. its not great hardware for the price, and if theres multi platform games i would argue not to buy them on switch. However the one thing nintendo will always have is its games. The exclusives avaliable on the switch are what sell it, and although games are more expensive they always hold their prices so if you want you can always trade it in for the next.

I still want to get a switch, but I also wouldn't mind getting my hands on a steam deck. Switch is on my radar because I think it would be better for me, but the steam deck will let me play all of the games I own on steam, and that's a selling point for me. If I can somehow play rdr2 on a steam deck, I'll get one of them first. 

On 7/23/2022 at 2:35 PM, Empire said:

The OLED is much than it's predecessors imo.

Nintendo switch has quite a good number of exclusives which a few of them are really worth the price and as you said for a multi platform Game you could buy for switch but if you have other console options you could try it out on them instead but I feel you would get the maximum experience playing a multiplayer on switch too. I am stating this based on my experience with OlliOlli world available on PlayStation and Nintendo switch and I have played the game on Both platforms too .

45 minutes ago, Clasher said:

The OLED is much than it's predecessors imo.

Nintendo switch has quite a good number of exclusives which a few of them are really worth the price and as you said for a multi platform Game you could buy for switch but if you have other console options you could try it out on them instead but I feel you would get the maximum experience playing a multiplayer on switch too. I am stating this based on my experience with OlliOlli world available on PlayStation and Nintendo switch and I have played the game on Both platforms too .

The OLED version is a nice touch and all, but I can't see myself spending extra for it. If I am to pay extra, I would prefer they made a new version with better hardware altogether. Then I could see it being worth the price. 

2 hours ago, Kane99 said:

The OLED version is a nice touch and all, but I can't see myself spending extra for it. If I am to pay extra, I would prefer they made a new version with better hardware altogether. Then I could see it being worth the price. 

Hardware has been the hesitation of a few people as to why they wouldn't consider getting a Nintendo switch.

I like the exclusive games on them which prompted me to get the OLED version and my nephew loves every single bit of it as well.

In the future we hope Nintendo switch improves their hardware but right now its quite enjoyable in its own peculiar way.

The thing with the switch and why it works so well, is because of Nintendo and their exclusives. Their first party titles. And of course their hybrid console that makes it easier to play all of your games on the go. I think if Nintendo just made another console with no gimmicks, it probably would have failed like the wii u did. 

But being hybrid helped a ton. Having a handheld and console in one was a game changer. But future consoles will obviously need to upgrade the hardware to at least come close to current or new gen consoles.

Was going to make a big post with a bunch of reasons as to why you should get a switch, until i noticed this thread is over 8 months old so if the topic creator @GeppyX has not up made up their mind over the course of 8 months wheter or not they will buy a switch i'm afraid they never will. Considering they have not logged in here for quite a while i doubt this thread is still relevant enough to continue.

Well unless somebody needs convincing on why they should get a switch i'd be more then happy to give you several good reasons. 

Edited by Yaramaki

On 12/27/2021 at 4:28 AM, GeppyX said:

I don't know. I've always been kinda split with the Nintendo Switch. I was stoked when it was first coming out. I remember being hyped about the new system. It definitely looks better than the Wii U and I was disappointed in the Wii U. The only problem is I have yet to find many exclusives on the Switch that I want. Some of the main ones are already on the Wii U, such as Mario Kart or Smash. I just don't see a lot of additions. 

I noticed that the Switch does have some shmups such as Cotton and several others. However, those titles are already on the PlayStation 4.. And PS4 has better quality. The one benefit to having the Switch is you can play these games on a handheld. But I don't know if that feature can justify me spending a few hundred bucks. I want to like the Switch but I tried it at GameStop and honestly wasn't all that impressed.

So I'm split.. 

What do I not like about the Switch?

1. Graphics are not superior, compared to modern standards on a 4kTV. 

2. Lack of exclusive games that I really want

What makes me consider a Switch?

1. Being able to play shmups on a handheld

2. I want a PS5 but hard to get one

3. It looks nicer than the Wii U, which isn't saying much

If you truly need a Playstation 5, I'm not sure if getting Nintendo Switch would fill that gap for you. I would suggest that you hold out a little bit longer at least by the end of the year and see what happens with the availability of Playstation 5. 

There are so many of us waiting for it. Wait and don't rush to Switch now when what you really want is a PS5. 

The handheld feature is the big sell, because the only other big titles exclusive on the console AFAIK are your typical MarioZelda and Pokémon (and let's not forget Xenoblade Chronicles 3), of which the first two I didn't grow up with. But if you're a big supporter of those franchises, that might be a great reason for you to pick it up, plus the fact that the Switch often receive many third party JRPGs like Kingdom Hearts and (coming soon) Persona 5 Royal. Again, those games are available on other consoles, so it's not the big sell here, but they're nice bonuses added on with the Switch exclusives I mentioned above.

There's also no way Nintendo will ever port their games, so that's another big reason why you'd buy it. It's more of a family unit with family-friendly exclusives rather than something like the PS4 or even the XBox which have more mature content on their games.

On 10/2/2022 at 9:04 PM, runswithspatulas said:

no offense to anyone in here but i think most of the games on switch are crap.

I have already taken offence at this statement 😂😂. I don't think this is new as one can't compare it with what Playstation offers.

On 10/2/2022 at 3:18 PM, Akun said:

The handheld feature is the big sell, because the only other big titles exclusive on the console AFAIK are your typical MarioZelda and Pokémon (and let's not forget Xenoblade Chronicles 3), of which the first two I didn't grow up with. But if you're a big supporter of those franchises, that might be a great reason for you to pick it up, plus the fact that the Switch often receive many third party JRPGs like Kingdom Hearts and (coming soon) Persona 5 Royal. Again, those games are available on other consoles, so it's not the big sell here, but they're nice bonuses added on with the Switch exclusives I mentioned above.

There's also no way Nintendo will ever port their games, so that's another big reason why you'd buy it. It's more of a family unit with family-friendly exclusives rather than something like the PS4 or even the XBox which have more mature content on their games.

there's games on the switch that are not family friendly.

5 minutes ago, runswithspatulas said:

there's games on the switch that are not family friendly.

True, but my point was that it's not their main product. Games like Doom (2016) don't count because they're third-party ports, and even then, that's not a great reason to pick it up because of how shitty the ports' performance are on the Switch, which can only handle mid-quality Mario-style "3D" graphics.

Also, if you're going to go out of your way to make a post and correct me, it really helps when you list examples as evidence backing your point. Just saying.

Edited by Akun