Register Now
GeppyX

Should I pay extra for the PS5?

I'm getting very impatient. I read an article that said PS5 might not be readily available by next Christmas either. Which makes you wonder how Sony plans to make money if everyone can't get their hands on one. Anyways, I went to Gamestop today to explain my frustration. I'm a Pro Power Up member and they said they'll send me an email when they have an event. Do you think that it's easy to get one at these events? They had one recently on Christmas but I had other things to worry about. They mentioned maybe Presidents Day, but to just keep checking my email promotions. 

But if I can't get a PS5 in the next couple months, maybe I need to shell out a few hundred more dollars. This has become a joke. I thought that Sony partnered with a company to help make more units. Btw, the employee said they had XBOX Series X available, just not PS5. It's funny when I asks them about it, it's like they think I've come to the wrong place. I'm just trying to get a console that came out more than a year ago. Is that so crazy? 

Anyways, if you think it's acceptable to just spend the extra money, give me some tips so I don't make a mistake. I don't want to spend it, but I don't want to play this game anymore where I have to wait for a 3rd Christmas to maybe get one. If it comes down to that, I might as well just spend a few hundred more bucks, but hopefully not more. 

Don't do that. It's just supporting the scalpers and when they know that it works, they will just keep doing it for future releases which then results in you having even more trouble. Be patient and spend some time on stock sites that alert you when a PS5 is available to buy/pre-order.

12 hours ago, GeppyX said:

I'm getting very impatient. I read an article that said PS5 might not be readily available by next Christmas either. Which makes you wonder how Sony plans to make money if everyone can't get their hands on one. Anyways, I went to Gamestop today to explain my frustration. I'm a Pro Power Up member and they said they'll send me an email when they have an event. Do you think that it's easy to get one at these events? They had one recently on Christmas but I had other things to worry about. They mentioned maybe Presidents Day, but to just keep checking my email promotions. 

But if I can't get a PS5 in the next couple months, maybe I need to shell out a few hundred more dollars. This has become a joke. I thought that Sony partnered with a company to help make more units. Btw, the employee said they had XBOX Series X available, just not PS5. It's funny when I asks them about it, it's like they think I've come to the wrong place. I'm just trying to get a console that came out more than a year ago. Is that so crazy? 

Anyways, if you think it's acceptable to just spend the extra money, give me some tips so I don't make a mistake. I don't want to spend it, but I don't want to play this game anymore where I have to wait for a 3rd Christmas to maybe get one. If it comes down to that, I might as well just spend a few hundred more bucks, but hopefully not more. 

I get how frustrating this is, but please don't give into scalpers. Buying from them validates what they do and makes the people that buy from them a part of the problem. Even after 2 years, the The PS5 doesn't actually have that much going for it in terms of exclusive game, so I honestly think that the console will not be worth buying until mid 2022 at the earliest anyway. Really do try to hold on.

Yes please wait, don't let the scalpers bring ya down. 

And honestly, there isn't a whole lot out for it right now. There are some exclusives, but it's a pretty small list so far. 

Plus, it's only been out a little over a year so give it some more time. Things should start to change soon. I don't see this going on for another year or two. 

I agree with everyone on the scalpers, but I'm going to focus on a couple other points.

1) I'm a pro member at GameStop as well, and was told the same thing about special events, and early access when they got consoles in. I've never received a single email from them. Maybe @Rain Dew is the email they have on file, but she never clears her inbox, so it could be fucking buried in there somewhere.

2) You should wait anyway before buying one. Sure it's tempting to grab one as soon as you see it. But if you wait, the price will have gone down, there will be more games available, and bugs that have been found by gamers that Xbox missed will have been addressed and fixed for the new systems coming out at that time. Yes you can still down load games that should have no problems, but a lot of games that have exclusive special features only have those exclusives on a disc version. RDR2 Ultimate Edition is one example.

So you would fare better to be patient. I know you don't want to. I don't want to either. But I have no intentions to buy one this year unless I know that those things have been addressed and I see a lot of PS5 games on the shelves.

Walmart sells them at around $1,000 plus. Scalpers are asking a lot less than Walmart is. 
@The Blackangel and I were lucky enough to have gotten a Xbox series S recently. We were at Best Buy looking for gaming headsets because my dog Bella chewed up both of ours. We came across the one and only Xbox series S that someone had returned. We went ahead and snagged it and J live playing on it 🤗

What do you guys think? I can get a PS5 for about 800 on Bay, but if I use a PayPal Credit card, I won't have to pay it all off for 18 months. Would that be more practical than waiting another 2 years or so for the PS5? Because at this rate, by the time PS5 is available it might almost be time for the next generation of consoles. Let's say it's year 4 or 5 and the PS5 is kind of available. It would almost be obsolete.

Edited by GeppyX

11 minutes ago, GeppyX said:

What do you guys think? I can get a PS5 for about 800 on Bay, but if I use a PayPal Credit card, I won't have to pay it all off for 18 months. Would that be more practical than waiting another 2 years or so for the PS5? Because at this rate, by the time PS5 is available it might almost be time for the next generation of consoles. 

No.  Don't give these scalping fuckwads what they are asking.  You will certainly find a PS5 for retail price within this year let alone two.  Put yourself in a waiting list for whatever local stores that are around.  I'm sure legitimate stores, or at least credit companies will have similar deals at much lower rates than these fucking scalpers.  Just have some patience.

On 12/27/2021 at 4:32 PM, Darth said:

Don't do that. It's just supporting the scalpers and when they know that it works, they will just keep doing it for future releases which then results in you having even more trouble. Be patient and spend some time on stock sites that alert you when a PS5 is available to buy/pre-order.

Sony has to do better with the availability of PS5 and stop making those that wants to place their hands on the console suffer more. While this is a good plan, I don't think it's going to be that easy.

On 12/27/2021 at 4:32 PM, Darth said:

Sony has to do better with the availability of PS5 and stop making those that wants to place their hands on the console suffer more. While this is a good plan, I don't think it's going to be that easy.

On 12/4/2022 at 9:15 AM, Justin11 said:

The PlayStation 5 is just unreasonably scarce.

I sincerely hope I could find a good PlayStation 5 deal this festive period.

If you have totaltech membership from Best Buy, they just had some stock in. Also try from Playstation direct. They get drops in from time to time.