Register Now
Kane99

Game Boy add-on could have had online capabilities?

This would have been a game changer if it came out in the late 90s, but I'd wage it would have been astronomically expensive if it was able to deliver all those features. On top of that it would definitely require a monthly service fee, even Sega Channel was a paid service. Or it might have been a huge flop. One of those

"You guys aren't ready for that yet, but your kids are gonna love it" situations. Who knows!

16 minutes ago, Empire said:

This would have been a game changer if it came out in the late 90s, but I'd wage it would have been astronomically expensive if it was able to deliver all those features. On top of that it would definitely require a monthly service fee, even Sega Channel was a paid service. Or it might have been a huge flop. One of those

"You guys aren't ready for that yet, but your kids are gonna love it" situations. Who knows!

I'd have to disagree there.  This add on might have made it possible for the Gameboy to access the internet but it doesn't mean it was fit for that purpose.  The Gamecom came out around that time with that capability and it still failed.

The Gameboy I played in the past as a child didn't have internet enabled. Even if I show interest due to what I've seen @kane state, I wouldn't still get the game. Because, I'm not thinking about having Nintendo at this time. 

8 hours ago, Empire said:

I would wholeheartedly agree with it being a gamechanger if it wasn't a Nintendo product. They've only just caught up to recognising internet connectivity as a good thing rather than a begrudging necessity, seeing the benefits of Mario Kart's online racing, Animal Crossing world sharing, and Splatoon's versus multiplayer. It's doubtful that it would've taken off with their management at the time, let alone - as you say - the cost to consumers it would take, limiting its audience dramatically.

"You guys aren't ready for that yet, but your kids are gonna love it" is the best thing I've read on the forum today. That's quite an inspiring quote!