Register Now
Kane99

Students will play video games as part of their curriculum at Japan's first esports high school

Well another case of I was born too late. Because now Japan are starting their own schools for esports. I think we're going to see a lot more schools and courses for esports in school. I bet in the next 5-10 years, most schools will have their own gaming league or esports team or courses. 

Read more about this news here: https://news.yahoo.com/students-play-video-games-part-000817355.html?guccounter=1

Wow, Japan really is embracing the gaming industry. That's pretty damn awesome. All high schools need to embrace some kind of niche to help prepare students for careers. I'll say it a billion times, high school needs to do away with junk and start becoming more internship oriented. And the esports program is probably one of the more interesting ones. Seriously, the senior level should do away with all courses and only work towards a career.

"We don't need no education. We don't need no thought control. No dark sarcasm in the classroom. Teacher, leave them kids alone." Pink Floyd Another Brick in the Wall Pt 2

2 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Wow, Japan really is embracing the gaming industry. That's pretty damn awesome. All high schools need to embrace some kind of niche to help prepare students for careers. I'll say it a billion times, high school needs to do away with junk and start becoming more internship oriented. And the esports program is probably one of the more interesting ones. Seriously, the senior level should do away with all courses and only work towards a career.

I agree that schools need to be more career oriented and need to teach the quest for knowledge instead of hammering in useless facts that make every kid miserable. But at the same time I don't think esports should be viewed as a career opportunity. Esports is a recreational activity, making careers out of it is not economically viable. I mean you never hear of "football high school" sports are always a side activity at schools and not the main focus. Everyone needs something to fall back on after their sports career is over, be it actual athleticism or esports.

Edited by m76

9 hours ago, m76 said:

But at the same time I don't think esports should be viewed as a career opportunity.

Think of it as same as the art career, you don't use art in most of the jobs. yet there are degrees. same with math, you use it indirectly yet big degrees with it. same with gaming, it makes you money? learn it, play it as long as you can. 

9 hours ago, m76 said:

I agree that schools need to be more career oriented and need to teach the quest for knowledge instead of hammering in useless facts that make every kid miserable. But at the same time I don't think esports should be viewed as a career opportunity. Esports is a recreational activity, making careers out of it is not economically viable. I mean you never hear of "football high school" sports are always a side activity at schools and not the main focus. Everyone needs something to fall back on after their sports career is over, be it actual athleticism or esports.

I know, it's weird to think of esports as something schools will adopt into their curriculum. I think esports is only going to get bigger and bigger, so having schools give such an option, is pretty cool. 

But yeah, it doesn't always pay the bills. Just because you're a pro gamer, doesn't mean it'll translate to profits. 

On 12/28/2021 at 10:40 AM, Kane99 said:

But yeah, it doesn't always pay the bills. Just because you're a pro gamer, doesn't mean it'll translate to profits. 

These days however a lot of pro gamers are being contacted by guild or the team game agencies and are hired for the game teams with contract based on their performance. 

10 minutes ago, skyfire said:

These days however a lot of pro gamers are being contacted by guild or the team game agencies and are hired for the game teams with contract based on their performance. 

True, but you gotta be constant with the skills. I wish I was able to be a pro gamer and make money each time, but so many people do these tournaments that it'd be tough to win them all. 

On 12/27/2021 at 5:45 AM, Kane99 said:

Well another case of I was born too late. Because now Japan are starting their own schools for esports. I think we're going to see a lot more schools and courses for esports in school. I bet in the next 5-10 years, most schools will have their own gaming league or esports team or courses. 

Read more about this news here: https://news.yahoo.com/students-play-video-games-part-000817355.html?guccounter=1

I did saw that one coming because with the way gaming have been going for a long time now, it's definitely the next direction. 

3 hours ago, Empire said:

They better win some prizes then, I mean why though, what they going to learn to win and make money 😛 

Eventually, there will be something to win by getting gaming involved in their studies. It's not just for fun because the students do have game's at home.