Register Now
StormyFire

Optimal resolution for gaming

What do you think is the optimal resolution for gaming?

I think that, although 4K looks really nice, 1440p is the sweet spot at the moment. At 1440p, games still look great without the performance hit that you take when you play in 4K. For competitive gaming, it is also extremely hard to find 4K displays that have extremely low response times and high refresh rates.

Depends on the console and the TV. Honestly when we're playing, we probably barely notice the difference. Which is why I never felt the need to purchase a 4k monitor or TV for my room.

It also depends on size. So say a smaller TV, you probably don't need a 4k version. If anything, something 1080p would be best for a smaller TV. And if you decide to go really big, then a 4k TV would be recommended. 

I myself use an 27inch 1440p resolution gming screen with the bells and balls that you can get at 165hz. But it's not the new tech that I have. In fact you have far more powerful updated screens, not just in 1440P but also in 1080p display screens.

Still I always sticj with IPS screens other then TN panels. TVs however should be at 4K - I mean you can pickup good cheap 4K screens TV nowadays

3 hours ago, skyfire said:

Only issue with the TV displays is using it too close and that could affect eyes. Unless those displays are tweaked for light and the UV rays.. like those LG displays. 

As well, sitting to close, you lost the quality. It's meant for you to sit back further, because getting to close, that image will look kinda rough. Even with a 4k tv, closer viewing isn't ideal. You'd want to have some space between the TV and you to get the best visual fidelity. 

If you have a laptop primarily for gaming, I would get the highest resolution screen i can afford with at least a resolution of 1920x1080, with the performance that can back up 1920x1080 at native. If my budget doesn't permit that price/screen/performance matrix consider a more affordable laptop with a 1366x768 native screen.

But, if your laptop is for more than just gaming, I would get at least a 1920x1080 screen.

If the laptop can't handle the games at native then run your games at lower resolution. This has the effect of a bit of blur in the upscale to native, but you also don't sacrifice your productivity with non-gaming tasks.

On 12/30/2021 at 6:03 PM, Ryan Blake said:

If you have a laptop primarily for gaming, I would get the highest resolution screen i can afford with at least a resolution of 1920x1080, with the performance that can back up 1920x1080 at native. If my budget doesn't permit that price/screen/performance matrix consider a more affordable laptop with a 1366x768 native screen.

But, if your laptop is for more than just gaming, I would get at least a 1920x1080 screen.

If the laptop can't handle the games at native then run your games at lower resolution. This has the effect of a bit of blur in the upscale to native, but you also don't sacrifice your productivity with non-gaming tasks.

Totally agree that's why 16 inch and 17 inch laptops are definitely fun for gaming or any other graphic work.