Register Now
Kane99

Does epic games give out too many free games?

Do you guys think that epic games gives out too many free games? Like, do you think it hurts them to offer up all of these free games? I mean it's clearly helping because people are using epic games launcher, so do you think they can keep up with all these free games?

It's a bit of a double edge sword here.

On one hand, it could be a marketing ploy. People hear of free games, and they flock to the site. This is probably going to make me look like a consumer whore, but I actually did just now and downloaded my first free game from them. So it is definitely successful. But it could make them look like they're just trying to dump a bunch of shit games.

On the other hand, they could be losing money and costing many studios money. And in that scenario, people could be leaving Epic. But at the same time it can reveal studios and games they were unaware of as they're leaving. Or games they have been looking for but couldn't find.

A lot of it is word of mouth. People will come to their own conclusions. But in my opinion, I think it's a smart move. For now at least.

Free is always good. The benefits for both Epic Games and the people that use the platform is pretty great so I don't think it's a problem. Plus, most of the free games aren't exactly triple A titles so it's not costing Epic Games much to give them out for free

On a serious note, the amount of free games Epic offers does feel like a necessity rather than something they don't need to do, and I feel that way because the service itself just doesn't offer what Steam offers right now. They need to improve the service itself if the intend on being taken seriously as an alternative to Steam. Despite that, I do feel that there is at least some fanboy bullshit at work with people rejecting EGS over Steam. There are people deliberately rejecting the undeniable benefits that EGS offers not just to customers but developers as well just through some nonsensical loyalty to Steam, and I don't get it. Even GOG (operated by CD Project Red) can't seen to pry people away from Steam. This is a fact, EVERYONE should buy thier single player games from GOG and not Steam if the option is there because of GOG's DRM policy. Why people do by games from Steam and not GOG, especially considering the prices are pretty much the same will forever baffle me. Yes, there may be times that games are discounted on Steam and not GOG so they're cheaper, OK, I'll go with that that, but the opposite is often the case as well and people will STILL buy the game on Steam and it makes no sense to me.

I've said this before elsewhere and one of the most common things that people say is "Look at Steam's controller support!" Well, and I not kidding, I have had WAY more trouble with controller support on Steam than any other game launcher on PC. Just recently, for example, Steam convicted itself that the third party controller I was using was an Nintendo Switch Pro controller and wouldn't work with some of my games, and on others, displayed the wrong icons, and steam would not let me change it. Two days of hell, then I think my toenails grew to within one millionth on an inch to what size Valve wanted them to be and it suddenly started working properly with no explanation. That's only one of the issues I have had with Valve's controller support over the years.

Getting back to buying games on PC, and It's same deal with Epic and it is on GOG. If a game is cheaper on EGS than it is on Steam, I'll buy it from Epic without any guilt at all, but I can't help but get the feeling from the wider gaming community that I'm supposed to feel guilty by doing so and I don't know why. But really, I don't care. I owe Steam nothing. Not my loyalty, not my praise. It's just an option to buy PC games. Nothing more and nothing less.

Edited by Shagger

They have a lot of cash. And, surprisingly, many of the free games cost Epic a little bit of nothing.

From a user acquisition perspective, it was incredibly cheap a couple of years ago. Over time that has probably changed as they don't get the same benefit as fewer users sign up to receive the games. Eventually it will get to the point where the cost will outweigh the benefit and they will stop giving them away.

Even if they offer free games, they got ways which they can make more cash from their paid games. They might offer some free games which didn't cost them much, simply to attract more customers from it. When you get their free games, you'll definitely love to patronize them if you're a gamer that spends too and not just consumer. Others who learn about their benevolent act will simply patronize them and such makes them super gaming company. 

On 1/1/2022 at 3:24 PM, Shagger said:

On a serious note, the amount of free games Epic offers does feel like a necessity rather than something they don't need to do, and I feel that way because the service itself just doesn't offer what Steam offers right now. They need to improve the service itself if the intend on being taken seriously as an alternative to Steam. Despite that, I do feel that there is at least some fanboy bullshit at work with people rejecting EGS over Steam. There are people deliberately rejecting the undeniable benefits that EGS offers not just to customers but developers as well just through some nonsensical loyalty to Steam, and I don't get it. Even GOG (operated by CD Project Red) can't seen to pry people away from Steam. This is a fact, EVERYONE should buy thier single player games from GOG and not Steam if the option is there because of GOG's DRM policy. Why people do by games from Steam and not GOG, especially considering the prices are pretty much the same will forever baffle me. Yes, there may be times that games are discounted on Steam and not GOG so they're cheaper, OK, I'll go with that that, but the opposite is often the case as well and people will STILL buy the game on Steam and it makes no sense to me.

I've said this before elsewhere and one of the most common things that people say is "Look at Steam's controller support!" Well, and I not kidding, I have had WAY more trouble with controller support on Steam than any other game launcher on PC. Just recently, for example, Steam convicted itself that the third party controller I was using was an Nintendo Switch Pro controller and wouldn't work with some of my games, and on others, displayed the wrong icons, and steam would not let me change it. Two days of hell, then I think my toenails grew to within one millionth on an inch to what size Valve wanted them to be and it suddenly started working properly with no explanation. That's only one of the issues I have had with Valve's controller support over the years.

Getting back to buying games on PC, and It's same deal with Epic and it is on GOG. If a game is cheaper on EGS than it is on Steam, I'll buy it from Epic without any guilt at all, but I can't help but get the feeling from the wider gaming community that I'm supposed to feel guilty by doing so and I don't know why. But really, I don't care. I owe Steam nothing. Not my loyalty, not my praise. It's just an option to buy PC games. Nothing more and nothing less.

Yeah I really need to start purchasing from GOG instead of steam. I'm guess I'm just so used to buying from one place that I forget gog is a viable option.  

3 hours ago, killamch89 said:

That's the only thing that gets people to even visit their stupid store in the first place. Most people including me wouldn't care about going on the Epic Games store if Rocket League wasn't on it.

That's fair. I mostly only use it for fortnite myself. Other than that, I maybe download the free games, but rarely do I ever play them.