Register Now
Kane99

Remedy Entertainment signs deal with Tencent for a game codenamed Vanguard

Before anyone goes crazy, it is just for one game. So remedy isn't jumping into Tencents pockets for their classic hits like Alan Wake, Max Payne, etc. I hope this doesn't result in Tencent outright buying them out, because I could see them attempting to do that. They already did with a recent company I'm pretty sure, yeah those developers of Back 4 Blood were bought by them. 

Anyway, I hope this is just a deal for one game only and nothing more. I do worry if Tencent gets more involved with Remedy Entertainment. 

Read more here - https://investors.remedygames.com/announcements/remedy-entertainment-signs-a-global-development-license-and-distribution-agreement-with-tencent-for-the-co-operative-multiplayer-game-codenamed-vanguard/

5 hours ago, m76 said:

The developer with the longest history of selling out sells out again. In other news snow is wet.

That's news to me. What did Remedy do that makes them sellouts? 

I mean I can understand now with Tencent working with them, but I don't recall what they did before to be considered sellouts. 

11 hours ago, Kane99 said:

That's news to me. What did Remedy do that makes them sellouts? 

I mean I can understand now with Tencent working with them, but I don't recall what they did before to be considered sellouts. 

They sold the Max Payne franchise to Rockstar, who in turn ruined it with a completely out of theme and character game. And it now lies dead and forgotten for 10 years. One of the most iconic and influential games.

They sold Alan Wake to Microsoft and made it xbox360 exclusive instead of being the much more ambitious title that was aimed for high end PCs originally.
They even demoed real time weather effects that were supposed to be in the game, which were completely removed to fit the game into the hardware capabilities of the xbox 360, also gone were the open-world aspects of the game, which they claimed were done for creative reasons, but I'm not so sure I believe that.

As part of the Microsoft deal, their next game Quantum Break was also announced as an XBOX One exclusive. Again excluding a lot of gamers from enjoying the game.

Then they cut ties with Microsoft due to some falling out, and very quickly got in bed with Epic, to make their next game, Control an Epic Games Store Exclusive.

And now they sell out again directly to Tencent (who are the biggest stakeholders in epic)

So I'd say, they have a pretty extensive history of selling out for the highest bidder, instead of doing what's best for their IPs and their fans.

Edited by m76

Frankly, I think Remedy Entertainment is a very hit and miss studio. Control was incredibly boring and ran like garbage on PS4, but gaming sites still gave them GoTY awards. Absolutely mind boggling!

That said, I enjoyed Alan Wake, and I'm happy to hear about that game getting a sequel. 

16 hours ago, m76 said:

They sold the Max Payne franchise to Rockstar, who in turn ruined it with a completely out of theme and character game. And it now lies dead and forgotten for 10 years. One of the most iconic and influential games.

They sold Alan Wake to Microsoft and made it xbox360 exclusive instead of being the much more ambitious title that was aimed for high end PCs originally.
They even demoed real time weather effects that were supposed to be in the game, which were completely removed to fit the game into the hardware capabilities of the xbox 360, also gone were the open-world aspects of the game, which they claimed were done for creative reasons, but I'm not so sure I believe that.

As part of the Microsoft deal, their next game Quantum Break was also announced as an XBOX One exclusive. Again excluding a lot of gamers from enjoying the game.

Then they cut ties with Microsoft due to some falling out, and very quickly got in bed with Epic, to make their next game, Control an Epic Games Store Exclusive.

And now they sell out again directly to Tencent (who are the biggest stakeholders in epic)

So I'd say, they have a pretty extensive history of selling out for the highest bidder, instead of doing what's best for their IPs and their fans.

I was aware of most of that. I liked max Payne 3, but I get why fans wouldn't be into it. I still have yet to play control, but quantum break was mediocre and forgettable. 

I hope their next Alan Wake is what they originally wanted to do. I just hope they don't end up selling all of their stuff to tencent.  

11 hours ago, DylanC said:

That said, I enjoyed Alan Wake, and I'm happy to hear about that game getting a sequel. 

I enjoyed Alan Wake too, but that is no excuse for the practices they employ.

It’s really hard to publish games in the Chinese market because of the government regulations. It’s much much easier to work with tencent to do Chinese publishing because they have a whole infrastructure set up and actually know the cultural and legal red tape they need to get through.

2 hours ago, Empire said:

It’s really hard to publish games in the Chinese market because of the government regulations. It’s much much easier to work with tencent to do Chinese publishing because they have a whole infrastructure set up and actually know the cultural and legal red tape they need to get through.

True, but getting into bed with tencent to get into China isn't a good look imo. I always think when studios change their games to appease China is just sad. I wonder how controlled this game will end up being. 

On 2/4/2022 at 8:24 PM, Empire said:

It's easy actually because they seem to have a lot of good terms for the outside gamers if you can publish in their native language. I am exploring this space for one of my friend, I want to know if he can translate the game into mandarin or which ever dominant language they use, because if the monetization is this easier with tencent like company then why hold back.

On 1/3/2022 at 10:04 PM, DylanC said:

Frankly, I think Remedy Entertainment is a very hit and miss studio. Control was incredibly boring and ran like garbage on PS4, but gaming sites still gave them GoTY awards. Absolutely mind boggling!

It's gotten to the point where there existence isn't necessarily important anymore, so they have to make way. I'm not really surprised with that. 

On 2/4/2022 at 6:18 PM, Kane99 said:

True, but getting into bed with tencent to get into China isn't a good look imo. I always think when studios change their games to appease China is just sad. I wonder how controlled this game will end up being. 

China will always look out for China first, so whatever deal they have, China might wake up one day to dismantle everything.