Register Now
Kane99

Was 2021 the worst year ever for games?

This article from the Guardian - https://www.theguardian.com/games/2021/dec/28/pushing-buttons-video-games-christmas 

It discusses how 2021 was a pretty mediocre year for gaming. I mean, it kinda was. Considering we had new consoles and I don't recall a whole lot that dropped in 2021. Then again, 2021 was plagued by covid-19 and work on video games stalled due to it. Some games expected this year, were pushed to next year. I don't know if I'd call it the worst year ever for games, but I'd say it wasn't a great year either. It was mediocre for sure. But 2022 could be the year we get back on track. With all the delayed games coming out in 2022 for the most part, we could see a year stacked with great releases. I sure hope so. 

Yes it was; I'm predicting 2022 will be even worse because they are gonna hold off the release of games because not many people will have newer systems to play them. Gives developers more time to fix games anyways. There's gonna be a crisis when the industry realizes the transition from old generation to new generation was botched by scalpers and insufficient chips. 

4 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Yes it was; I'm predicting 2022 will be even worse because they are gonna hold off the release of games because not many people will have newer systems to play them. Gives developers more time to fix games anyways. There's gonna be a crisis when the industry realizes the transition from old generation to new generation was botched by scalpers and insufficient chips. 

I could see that happening. But I don't see things being as worse. I think for the most part we're mostly out of the covid issue, as people are back to work, and so I can see games coming out sooner. But yeah, things are going to get interesting. 

100% percent it was. And it has nothing to do with chip shortages and covid. It's just that the games released this year were ranging from bad to mediocre, every one of them.

2022 cannot be worse, because there are a bunch of big names coming out, like Starfield, Gran Turismo 7, Elden Ring, Solar Crown, it is impossible for all of them to be bad.

There was more gaming controversy than there was actual gaming.  There was hardly any titles worth shouting about especially for a year with new generation consoles.  There should be better stuff in 2022 with Elden Ring, Starfield and Horizon Forbidden West to name a few.

Edited by Crazycrab

I mean, HITMAN 3 did come out this year... putting the Epic exclusivity thing aside, you can't say 2021 is the worst year ever or some shit like that when the prime GOTY contender was released in the very first days of the year...

6 hours ago, m76 said:

100% percent it was. And it has nothing to do with chip shortages and covid. It's just that the games released this year were ranging from bad to mediocre, every one of them.

2022 cannot be worse, because there are a bunch of big names coming out, like Starfield, Gran Turismo 7, Elden Ring, Solar Crown, it is impossible for all of them to be bad.

I would really be disappointed if some of those big games failed to get released especially Elden Ring. 

3 hours ago, Carlos X said:

I think this was the worst year in gaming history. Yeap.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't really care much about what other people think about it, I believe that the plague of covid-19 marred everything. 

15 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I could see that happening. But I don't see things being as worse. I think for the most part we're mostly out of the covid issue, as people are back to work, and so I can see games coming out sooner. But yeah, things are going to get interesting. 

With the new cases of new variant of covid19 out, I'm not sure if things are going to normalize sooner or later. 

8 hours ago, Justin11 said:

I wouldn't mark it off as a worst year either, because no one knows what 2022 will born. But when it comes to comparison with other previous years I'll brand it as the worst. 

At least 2022 isn't yet here and we can't kill it off because we feel the uncertainty that hangs around the unknown. 

4 hours ago, Boblee said:

At least 2022 isn't yet here and we can't kill it off because we feel the uncertainty that hangs around the unknown. 

2022 could potentially be worse. Especially if covid sticks around and causes further problems. 

2022 could be the year things start to go back to normal, but idk how long it'll take to go back to normal. 

9 hours ago, Kane99 said:

2022 could potentially be worse. Especially if covid sticks around and causes further problems. 

This has been my disposition ever since the new variant of covid19 popped up. Things will most likely get out of hands.