Register Now
Kane99

EA Canceled A Harry Potter MMO

Well that sucks. It was supposedly something they had planned to make, but was cancelled by EA. Of course, EA making the dumb decisions to cancel a game that would have been huge at the time. EA has released other Harry Potter games, but I can't say I've ever played them. I have watched some lets players play them, but that's about it. 

Do you think a Harry Potter MMO would work? Aren't we getting one soon actually? Or it's somewhat like an MMO. I forget. 

Read more on this news here - https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-canceled-a-harry-potter-mmo-apparently/1100-6499248/

Given EA's track record with movie licences (including it's past with Harry Potter) added to the fact that that I would wouldn't feel good about any of my money, even one penny of it, ending up in pocket of a disgusting transphobe like JK Rowling, I can't say I'm that sad about this. Whilst promising in concept, there no way this game would have delivered anything but disappointment

7 hours ago, Shagger said:

Given EA's track record with movie licences (including it's past with Harry Potter) added to the fact that that I would wouldn't feel good about any of my money, even one penny of it, ending up in pocket of a disgusting transphobe like JK Rowling, I can't say I'm that sad about this. Whilst promising in concept, there no way this game would have delivered anything but disappointment

Yeah EA would have found a way to ruin it anyway. I think JK Rowling sold the rights to the franchise. So she had no part or say in anything anymore. At least I think so. 

As much as I tire of the 'EA Bad' line, they really do deserve scepticism at the very least when it comes to MMOs. It's quite evident they don't like them, what with their history with Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning (WAR). They'd sold the PvP element in a different game called Wrath of Heroes, another Warhammer-licensed game while the MMO was running and dying, which still required a subscription to play until its very end. They did good things with Harry Potter on Playstation, The Philosopher's Stone being very well received as one of the best movie tie-in games for the platform (whether that's nostalgia or genuine I can't comment), and they've handled Star Wars well if one ignores its monetisation (which even I can't defend.)

So honestly, I'm glad they cancelled it, but what other publisher can make an MMO these days? The best ones seem to be young blood, save for Final Fantasy XIV, which had a lot of help from World of Warcraft being godawful. It's Catch 22: the people who can afford the Harry Potter license can't make a good game of it, and those who can make a good game of it can't afford it. There'll be delays applenty with whoever currently holds the hot potato that is HP.

Edited by Withywarlock

What the absolute hell is wrong with EA? New World has by an abysmal failure but not because it didn't sell well. In the first few weeks it was one of the most played games in the world. It was the constant blundering that has dwindled the player population down to nothing.

People want new MMOs and a Harry Potter MMO would have been a smash hit as long as it was done well.

The whole problem with EA is that they have a bad history when it comes to games with in-game content sales. That doesnt mean that everything that EA makes is bad, we have two recent games that came out pretty good, but they are both local play videogames, they dont need or have any type of microtransaction and thats were the problem starts with EA, an MMO will open the door for microtransactions and EA has its history of being greedy when it comes to these practices.

On 1/22/2022 at 9:56 AM, kingpotato said:

The whole problem with EA is that they have a bad history when it comes to games with in-game content sales. That doesnt mean that everything that EA makes is bad, we have two recent games that came out pretty good, but they are both local play videogames, they dont need or have any type of microtransaction and thats were the problem starts with EA, an MMO will open the door for microtransactions and EA has its history of being greedy when it comes to these practices.

EA has good studios under their belts. I just think it's how they manage things that causes the problems with a lot of their games. But yeah, there are great games coming from them. It just that the bad overshadows the good. 

And for sure, they will make it about money for sure. That's how Star Wars Battlefront ended up going, and same with I think Battlefield. 

15 hours ago, Kane99 said:

EA has good studios under their belts. I just think it's how they manage things that causes the problems with a lot of their games. But yeah, there are great games coming from them. It just that the bad overshadows the good. 

And for sure, they will make it about money for sure. That's how Star Wars Battlefront ended up going, and same with I think Battlefield. 

Seriously, there are so many games that used to be great that EA is really killing off with their greed for money and with what happened lately with Battlefield 2042, I can't say that I'm not more disappointed.