Register Now
StaceyPowers

Are there any game companies you actively boycott?

There are some developers that I'm careful around because I know the quality of their previous games. Ubisoft is a pretty good example. I'll never ever pre-order or buy one of their games at launch because they're usually a mess. Plus, most of their games tend to drop in price massively in just a few months.

I think the best reason to boycott is when they are donating their money or supporting in some way something that is against your morality. I haven't heard that much of the gaming world supporting things I'm against except for Scott Cawthon who is the creator of Five Nights at Freddy's. But he retired after getting backlash for supporting traitor trump. A lot of developers are on thin ice though the way they treat their employees. I don't think that would be a means to boycott unless their games are greatly offending a specific population. They do need intervention though and lots of media attention to pressure them. But it may come to a point where hitting their pockets may be the only way. If that's the case, what games would you buy? Because all the major developers have employee harassment issues. Many games have bug issues. The game world is embracing NFT. What will be left? 

I wouldn't call it a full on boycott, but I have been avoiding buying games from Ubisoft and Activision/Blizzard recently. DLC, microtransactions, NFT's and bad releases are insignificant to companies that are guilty of having thier employees work in the kind of abusive culture that these two have had, and pretty much still have.

20 hours ago, Kane99 said:

It's not just that. They've been awful for a while. It's not even Rockstar. I mostly fault take two for the issues. They own so many companies and franchises, it's crazy. And they seem to be making poor decisions these days. 

You're somewhat correct with your comment around Rockstar. Their decision lately have let them down, they shouldn't let their weird decision making halt their progress. 

21 hours ago, Kane99 said:

It's not just that. They've been awful for a while. It's not even Rockstar. I mostly fault take two for the issues. They own so many companies and franchises, it's crazy. And they seem to be making poor decisions these days. 

Everything about them is all about the money and it's why they keep making all the errors they have been with their decisions of late. 

5 hours ago, Boblee said:

Everything about them is all about the money and it's why they keep making all the errors they have been with their decisions of late. 

Seriously, how they keep selling all these games that were full of trash that's not made well still confuses me till date... It's not only the fanboys that buys them!! 

When you've already made your company well-known and got lots of customers you simply don't have to worry about sales even if some of your products lack the quality it will simply sale. That's the case with some of the video game companies they've gotten the support and customers even if their games lately are disappointing they keep driving sales. 

11 hours ago, Justin11 said:

When you've already made your company well-known and got lots of customers you simply don't have to worry about sales even if some of your products lack the quality it will simply sale. That's the case with some of the video game companies they've gotten the support and customers even if their games lately are disappointing they keep driving sales. 

Seriously, it's actually what we are suffering from today with what the famous fanboys are doing with games and their company today. 

14 hours ago, Heatman said:

Seriously, how they keep selling all these games that were full of trash that's not made well still confuses me till date... It's not only the fanboys that buys them!! 

Some other gamers that aren't categorically their fanboys do still purchase these games which gives them the impetus to keep up with their plans. 

12 hours ago, Boblee said:

Some other gamers that aren't categorically their fanboys do still purchase these games which gives them the impetus to keep up with their plans. 

It's actually what's going on with all EA games. They have an incredible fan base which is why they always sell their games no matter what. 

3 hours ago, Heatman said:

It's actually what's going on with all EA games. They have an incredible fan base which is why they always sell their games no matter what. 

Well you can say that again and very loud because they even have a good fan in here who really likes and support their games. 

On 1/12/2022 at 7:41 PM, Heatman said:

Seriously, it's actually what we are suffering from today with what the famous fanboys are doing with games and their company today. 

They've really ruined it for us, and bit disappointed about what the damn fanboys have done to the growth of video games. They are simply making it dwindle instead of seeking for it's improvement. 

5 hours ago, Justin11 said:

They've really ruined it for us, and bit disappointed about what the damn fanboys have done to the growth of video games. They are simply making it dwindle instead of seeking for it's improvement. 

With time, they will all get tired one way or another but as for now, it's something that we can't stop them from getting in our way. 

6 hours ago, Justin11 said:

The main thing that's very wrong in what they did was give those companies power to ride us in any way they feel like. 

On 1/11/2022 at 2:08 PM, Shagger said:

I wouldn't call it a full on boycott, but I have been avoiding buying games from Ubisoft and Activision/Blizzard recently. DLC, microtransactions, NFT's and bad releases are insignificant to companies that are guilty of having thier employees work in the kind of abusive culture that these two have had, and pretty much still have.

I've been thinking about doing the same. Haven't touched anything from blizzard or Activision lately and probably won't. The fact they still haven't fired bobby kotick is mind boggling to me. 

Ubisoft of course with the sexual abuse/harassment issues that they didn't do much about at all. They said their sorrys, but I don't think their ceo meant any of it. Was just about saving face.