Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do you typically end games with piles of unused resources?

Frequently, but then I feel most of these things exist to cover the developers' backsides when questions arise about higher difficulties. As is the right thing to do; consumable items exist to be consumed, crafting reagents exist to be used in crafting. The more games that have limited or otherwise cumbersome inventory systems, the better expiry dates on items sound. Players will soon use them and realise how beneficial they are, or they realise how useless they are and get out of the habit of hoarding.

Save for Dark Souls and other such games that have greater emphasis on attrition, I have to wonder why most RPGs allow you to have such clutter and either don't appreciate them or completely destroy the economy with how much you make from selling them off. It's one of the few things I wish video games wouldn't mimic Dungeons & Dragons on: the inflation of loot and money adventurers get.

I think we all do, don't we. The biggest problem is that we just tend to be a bit stingy at the start because we don't know if a particular resource is going to be hard to come across or not. And then you get the games that make it hard at the start but then start giving you way too much nearer the end of the game. GTA is a good example with the in-game currency.

I really can't remember the game where I played and got lots of resources to enjoy and wipe out the enemies easily but at the end couldn't use them. I got lots of resources playing GTA S.A back then, because I know how to collect them, but as the game proceeds the police don't allow me enjoy my armour as I really want. 

15 hours ago, Darth said:

I think we all do, don't we. The biggest problem is that we just tend to be a bit stingy at the start because we don't know if a particular resource is going to be hard to come across or not. And then you get the games that make it hard at the start but then start giving you way too much nearer the end of the game. GTA is a good example with the in-game currency.

Exactly, that's how it works. If you waste all of your resources when you are supposed to have more, it's definitely going to cost you more in the game.