Register Now
Techno

14,000 Gaming Companies Have Gone Bankrupt Thanks To China

I have a theory. The vast majority of these game companies deserved it.

Let's be honest, pretty much all of these game companies will have been shitting out the kind of FTP, mobile-like, greedy nonsense that necessitated the 3 hour ban in the first place because of how manipulative and predatory they are. Maybe if these companies had developed games that don't rely on timers, paywalls and lootboxes, people may have supported them instead of "playing" for a couple of hours, hit an in-game block on progress then decided, "Fuck it. I can only play for another hour at the most until tomorrow anyway, I'll just not bother.". So you know what I say? Well done China, it's working.

7 minutes ago, Shagger said:

Let's be honest, pretty much all of these game companies will have been shitting out the kind of FTP, mobile-like, greedy nonsense that necessitated the 3 hour ban in the first place because of how manipulative and predatory they are. Maybe if these companies had developed games that don't rely on timers, paywalls and lootboxes, people may have supported them instead of "playing" for a couple of hours, hit an in-game block on progress then decided, "Fuck it. I can only play for another hour at the most until tomorrow anyway, I'll just not bother.". So you know what I say? Well done China, it's working.

Most certainly, honestly I'm just laughing at how bad things have gotten. What can I say, I'm a sucker for irony.

Edited by Techno

The sad truth is that this is in regards to studios in China. China is notorious for poor treatment of their citizens and are very strict when it comes to video games. I wouldn't doubt it's partly due to China's rules that have caused issues for many of these studios. A lot of them may be legit studios trying to make good games, but doing so in China is kinda a lose lose situation. 

I mean, the reason why they went bankrupt isn't great. But having seen the quality of some of the games out there, some made by Chinese developers, this is probably going to end up being a good thing. Hopefully this will also mean a reduction in those cheap, cringe game advertisements.

7 minutes ago, Darth said:

I mean, the reason why they went bankrupt isn't great. But having seen the quality of some of the games out there, some made by Chinese developers, this is probably going to end up being a good thing. Hopefully this will also mean a reduction in those cheap, cringe game advertisements.

It'll just mean more studios popping up, releasing similar content. The problem here is that China makes the rules, literally they pick what games can come out and can't. They're the ones mainly causing these studios to close down. Can't really do much when the country you live in won't release your games. That's what I'm seeing with the article. It's because they put a freeze on games they'd accept. 

1 hour ago, Shagger said:

But the Chinese media didn’t even emphasize the reason as being loot boxes and timers. If they did, those companies have something to change in their games instead of just blocking them after all that work. Their media stressed that the reason for the license freeze is because they are blaming gaming as being an ‘electronic drug’ and its psychological impact. That is hell of a lot more broad by attacking gaming as a whole rather than those addictive transactions. And this is all at the heels of China banning games of effeminate men. So what is their real intentions here. Gaming, effeminate men, and whatever else controversy that promotes freedom of thought is a threat to Chinese rule. And with the collapse of Hong Kong democracy, it’s a no brainer the real reason for attacking gaming. And the more time people spend in entertainment that isn’t state run, then that’s a huge problem.

Part of their broader scheme is to keep people occupied at work and not allow much leisure time. That is old school control. Universities do that a lot to program students; to sleep deprive them and keep them on the edge in order to better ‘educate’ them. The military does it. Societies as a whole does it. The less vacation time in a society the better. Keep people poor and work multiple jobs as to weaken their spirits, the better. So to get those young people off of gaming and be so called ‘productive in society’ is more on the lines of work and don’t think. And I’m not saying there isn't an addictive problem, I’m saying that isn’t even China’s real concern. Because there are plenty of people in their industry that work behind computers all day and you can say that is addicting, but they won’t because it’s a job and productive for society. So the ‘electronic drug’ is either all electronics and all computer jobs—-or none. How many people are glued to phones or internet? They obviously have state run media and internet censorship. But how do they control gaming media now? Yep…don’t approve licensing, time limits, facial recognition. Only a matter of time their gaming industry is state run and approved. China is setting the standards for future gaming as more and more authoritarians gain power. They are already taking notes of China’s actions.

Control gaming---check!

China is just taken over the world and doing what they want people or for themselves to do. Shocking. Everything is from china nowadays that gets made there as they can do things just cheap. that's a hell of allot of companies just gone. 

And also didn't China just reverse their game ban a few years ago? I swear there was a ban on gaming in China for a period of time.  So maybe the quality of these games is due to their limited time with video games and maybe the limited abilities of the people teaching game development. 

On 1/4/2022 at 12:44 PM, Shagger said:

I think this also a spill-over from the whole Evergrande fiasco in China. It seems to be affecting lots of companies in China in various industries so I wouldn't be surprised if that also played a factor.

On 1/4/2022 at 6:14 PM, Techno said:

After the more than 3 hour ban in China happen, the NPAA has not approved of a single game since July. Beucase of this 14k companies have gone the way of the dodo.

Soruce:https://kotaku.com/14-000-chinese-game-companies-have-gone-out-of-business-1848299632

Seriously, I don't think that there's any country out there there really have a strong avarice towards playing video games the way China does. 

On 1/4/2022 at 6:44 PM, Shagger said:

Well, I kind of agree with you on this one. When some of these companies feels like it's within their rights to do as they feel like, here come China to the rescue 😂

On 1/4/2022 at 8:33 PM, Darth said:

When they make substandard games, there is no way they expected themselves to last long in the business for a very long time.