Register Now
StaceyPowers

Scientists teach cells to play video games

https://www.newsweek.com/researchers-teach-mass-brain-cells-mimic-classic-arcade-game-pong-1664511

This article talks about a study where researchers taught a Pong-like game to cells: “Using this DishBrain system, we have demonstrated that a single layer of in vitro cortical neurons can self-organize and display intelligent and sentient behavior when embodied in a simulated game-world.”

I don’t trust science articles anymore, whenever there’s a cool discovery, it’s always spun into some bullshit. With that said, I’m confused as to how ‘brain cells’ (notably referred to as such rather than just mini brains) are able to ‘believe they are the paddle’ etc.

Plus next they will say another story that they came around on finding.... COME ON

On 2/4/2022 at 8:27 PM, Empire said:

I don’t trust science articles anymore, whenever there’s a cool discovery, it’s always spun into some bullshit. With that said, I’m confused as to how ‘brain cells’ (notably referred to as such rather than just mini brains) are able to ‘believe they are the paddle’ etc.

Plus next they will say another story that they came around on finding.... COME ON

Haha. if the virtual reality can be used in therapy then cells being taught wont be big thing.

It's interesting if brain cells gather together to function as a sentient being. Cells depend on the sodium/potassium pump or the 'electricity' of cells. That electricity is consciousness. That electricity is spirits, angels, god, devil, and everything humans try to make up for in lack of comprehension. And when cells gather together like that to function as sentient, is pretty much the forming of ganglion, which is the basic brain of insects and basic life. So if you can form a ganglion and add DNA functions to it in order to replicate its functionality as a system by itself, then we are the gods. 

I saw this a month ago and I laughed for a solid ten minutes - what is the point of this discovery? Is it to show that a couple of brain cells can perform complex functions independently? Secondly, most scientific discoveries in recent years have been marred by all kinds of controversy.

On 2/4/2022 at 6:13 PM, Kane99 said:

Pretty cool if it actually works. Makes you wonder if it could help strengthen brain cells. I doubt it, but it'd be cool. 

If they started testing out something like this, they really have another big agenda that we aren't yet aware of. I hope it's a good one. 

On 1/4/2022 at 9:13 PM, StaceyPowers said:

https://www.newsweek.com/researchers-teach-mass-brain-cells-mimic-classic-arcade-game-pong-1664511

This article talks about a study where researchers taught a Pong-like game to cells: “Using this DishBrain system, we have demonstrated that a single layer of in vitro cortical neurons can self-organize and display intelligent and sentient behavior when embodied in a simulated game-world.”

Just like when Elon Musk did with Monkey for one experiment that I didn't know how it eventually followed up. 

On 2/8/2022 at 10:04 PM, killamch89 said:

I saw this a month ago and I laughed for a solid ten minutes - what is the point of this discovery? Is it to show that a couple of brain cells can perform complex functions independently? Secondly, most scientific discoveries in recent years have been marred by all kinds of controversy.

They simply don't know what they really want to do but just wasting resources on what's not relevant as far as I'm concerned. 

On 1/4/2022 at 9:13 PM, StaceyPowers said:

This is even a child's place to what these guys can do now with their invention and technology advancement. I read in article a while back where robots now reproduce.. Like seriously!!!?