Register Now
StaceyPowers

Video games might relieve depression in older adults

Here is an article about research into video games for relieving depression in older adults. "In previous research, scientists found that 60%­ to 70% of older patients who were unable to benefit from antidepressant meds and who played specially designed video games reported a 50% decline in depressive symptoms in 30 days, according to U of U Health."

WHO. FUCKING. FUNDS. THESE. STUDIES!

Video games are a hobby, a pastime. You may as well study how fishing has a positive affect on depression and come the very predictable conclusion that INDULGING HOBBIES HELPS! This pisses me off because I actually do suffer from depression and I can tell you that, if anything, video games are not the best solution. You are better going out, being physically active. Even today I bought a flash drive, but instead of having it delivered I went out to pick it up because that was better for my mental health. 

Yes, playing video games is better for your mental health and helps in combating depression, but compared to what? Doing nothing? Trust me, if you reading this feels depressed and in dark place, get the fuck off whatever device you're reading this on and go for a god damn walk. Don't play a fucking video game.

I suffer from depression the same as other members here, such as @Shagger mentioned. I've had to have a gun talked out of my hand many times. Last night for example, I was ready, willing, and wanted to die. I started crying one time, because I knew for a fact I was going to do it and I was scared. I had a gun in my mouth and it was cocked. Games are an escape sure, but it's like substance abuse. When you come back to the real world, your depression didn't leave. It was just put on pause for a brief moment and hits you hard when it's taken off pause. If you're able to do so, go for a walk. Get a fur baby and play with them. Indulge in an art project. The creation of something is more rewarding than you may think. Take a class, or just assign yourself homework for something you want to learn or do. Meditate. I'm not saying give up something you enjoy. That will only make your depression worse. Continue gaming. But don't try to use it as something to help your depression. Because I'll tell you right now, it doesn't work.

I have my share of the depression. I mostly find the way to deal with it in exploring the games, empty planets, moving in a explorable parts of the game. This is why I liked stardew valley too. You get to explore for no reason and also sometimes not forced to play in a certain way. I have to agree, more you create, the more you get out of the mindset of "what you lack" or "what happened to you".

On 1/8/2022 at 8:26 AM, Shagger said:

WHO. FUCKING. FUNDS. THESE. STUDIES!

Video games are a hobby, a pastime. You may as well study how fishing has a positive affect on depression and come the very predictable conclusion that INDULGING HOBBIES HELPS! This pisses me off because I actually do suffer from depression and I can tell you that, if anything, video games are not the best solution. You are better going out, being physically active. Even today I bought a flash drive, but instead of having it delivered I went out to pick it up because that was better for my mental health. 

Yes, playing video games is better for your mental health and helps in combating depression, but compared to what? Doing nothing? Trust me, if you reading this feels depressed and in dark place, get the fuck off whatever device you're reading this on and go for a god damn walk. Don't play a fucking video game.

Hundred percent facts - Video games are just a hobby. It shouldn't be used as a coping mechanism for depression. Professional help is always the first route to go so that you can at least address the root cause rather than temporarily forgetting about it.

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

Who would have thought, doing something you find to be fun helps your mental health. Gaming is important to a lot a people. It helps wind my brain down. Helps me relax. 

Scientific studies like this tends to miss out a lot important details like how did function when not playing games. Did they immediately go back to their depressed state or did it provide genuine therapy?

The website you've linked doesn't show enough details for me to be fully convinced. When I go on r/fatlogic I make a point of linking studies to prove my point, such as those on the National Centre for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) site, as part of my argument. Having read this article, and one piece of the same information linked twice, here are my questions?

• What are the demographics of those playing video games globally?
  • What is the age range of depression sufferers?
  • How many of the 250 volunteers aged 60-85 (not a great sample size) play video games already?
  • What commercially available games were being played by the sample size?
  • How long were the video games played for?
  • What other hobbies and interests did the volunteers partake in, and how much enjoyment did they get out of those versus video games?

This is by no means criticism levelled at @StaceyPowers, but I'm baffled at the point of this article. We have known for a long time the good video games can do, as well as a lot of other hobbies. I don't think it's being debated to any great extent that video games are evil!!1!1!!!1one! or words to that effect.

Thanks for sharing this though, it's nice to hear people are getting help with their depression.

On 1/10/2022 at 4:36 AM, The Blackangel said:

I suffer from depression the same as other members here, such as @Shagger mentioned. I've had to have a gun talked out of my hand many times. Last night for example, I was ready, willing, and wanted to die. I started crying one time, because I knew for a fact I was going to do it and I was scared. I had a gun in my mouth and it was cocked. Games are an escape sure, but it's like substance abuse. When you come back to the real world, your depression didn't leave. It was just put on pause for a brief moment and hits you hard when it's taken off pause. If you're able to do so, go for a walk. Get a fur baby and play with them. Indulge in an art project. The creation of something is more rewarding than you may think. Take a class, or just assign yourself homework for something you want to learn or do. Meditate. I'm not saying give up something you enjoy. That will only make your depression worse. Continue gaming. But don't try to use it as something to help your depression. Because I'll tell you right now, it doesn't work.

I'm so sorry you suffer from depression. 
I agree on your views on this. Depression does not leave it is just on pause. 
You immerse yourself in a game or something you enjoy. You trick your brain that everything is alright. Then you are faced back with reality and your depression. 
I have suffered myself from depression for years. Almost committed suicide a few times. However, through will power and determination I have overcome a lot of my depression and not as depressed as I use to be.