Register Now
StaceyPowers

Video games might relieve depression in older adults

Like today, I was in a fire situation, after disappointment with my time offline, suffering much stress. My friend called me up and told me he has gotten my long awaited game 'MGP 21, I was just ecstatic, played it over 6 hours today, before coming online here recently. Such has made me forget about my torrid offline time. Gaming is a source of happiness to me, if I lose it, it means losing a big part of me xD. 

Video games should be played to feel relaxed, at home and to be happy. Whether video games can help older people to get out of depression cannot be determined exclusively since depression in older people is quite different from what younger ones experience. I play games just to enjoy the moment and maybe solve boredom issues.

That is not depression, if you ask me. 

There are chances that it may work for some and still not work for many. So, I would just put in that if you are depressed and sought for gaming as a therapy program, if it works for you, then you have nothing to worry about and vice versa. 

41 minutes ago, Head_Hunter said:

It depends on the level of depression, if it is the one that has to do with deep emotions, making me face emotional trauma, then I wouldn't play video games at that point because my mind is never settled. 

That's a very good point to make. Even a happy fun exploration game can have that moment of darkness that triggers a memory. I think that games are worth a try to help at least some of the cases of depression. If more of the population can have the option to play games as part of treatment, we can see who it helps and the ones it doesn't. Maybe then we can identify the different forms of depression, the causes of it where gaming doesn't help. 

7 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

That's a very good point to make. Even a happy fun exploration game can have that moment of darkness that triggers a memory. I think that games are worth a try to help at least some of the cases of depression. If more of the population can have the option to play games as part of treatment, we can see who it helps and the ones it doesn't. Maybe then we can identify the different forms of depression, the causes of it where gaming doesn't help. 

Exactly, that's one of the objectives of video games to help curb depression in style. But their are times when you'll feel so depressed that you'll even forget that you have a video game to play xD. 

11 hours ago, Justin11 said:

I don't get bored easily,I prefer thou to play with friends and relatives. But since I stay on my own, I can't push for anyone to play with me, rather resort to playing with AI. 

There are levels to depression and the nasty one's can't be corrected with just playing video games. It may add a little bit of life to the person but won't fix it completely. 

Hmm, I wonder what he truly meant with the speeches, he/she doesn't know what's on point, money solves anything, their is no point rejecting money and accepting a video game. Money can quickly solve my depression when I have in abundance, than when I didn't have anything just me and video games. 

6 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Hmm, I wonder what he truly meant with the speeches, he/she doesn't know what's on point, money solves anything, their is no point rejecting money and accepting a video game. Money can quickly solve my depression when I have in abundance, than when I didn't have anything just me and video games. 

I actually don't believe that to some extent because I have seen some people that are quite rich and have almost everything that life has got to offer but they are still depressed. So, what happened with the money? 

47 minutes ago, Heatman said:

I actually don't believe that to some extent because I have seen some people that are quite rich and have almost everything that life has got to offer but they are still depressed. So, what happened with the money? 

Maybe the money is not gotten from the right source, lots of things troubling their mind. Give me money now and watch my reaction onwards, xD. Because with the money I can buy literally any video game of my choice including any platform of my choice. 

On 4/18/2022 at 9:48 AM, Justin11 said:

Maybe the money is not gotten from the right source, lots of things troubling their mind. Give me money now and watch my reaction onwards, xD. Because with the money I can buy literally any video game of my choice including any platform of my choice. 

Money is money for me, there is nothing like the right source of money in my opinion. It takes a lot to make money and with that being said, whom it doesn't work for, it wouldn't.