Register Now
StaceyPowers

Video games might relieve depression in older adults

21 minutes ago, Justin11 said:

RDR-2 it's full of inspiration, I was full of awe when I watched through a gamer for the first time playing it. That was how I got into playing it, I played it first time in PS3. I am yet to play for PS4, such really eased my stress back then and improved my life span, because I was happy playing the game xD. 

RDR2 is not on ps3, learn to read what you type before making a post...

4 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

You're correct, it was available on the first version, that's the one I'm trying to say, which i played on PS3. I got PS4 newly I never played any RDR on it. 

1 hour ago, Justin11 said:

RDR-2 it's full of inspiration, I was full of awe when I watched through a gamer for the first time playing it. That was how I got into playing it, I played it first time in PS3. I am yet to play for PS4, such really eased my stress back then and improved my life span, because I was happy playing the game xD. 

WTF!!! Dude 😂. Red Dead Redemption 2 on Playstation 3? I would like to see how's that possible 😂... 

On 4/27/2022 at 9:40 AM, Cortyie said:

I am so involved in the story. Ending the game for me is like stopping talking to my best friend. You want more, but you already know all his answers

It's why some gamers are extremely involved in playing more of games that are series based, so they know the game is going to spin on for a longer period. 

On 1/4/2022 at 9:16 PM, StaceyPowers said:

Here is an article about research into video games for relieving depression in older adults. "In previous research, scientists found that 60%­ to 70% of older patients who were unable to benefit from antidepressant meds and who played specially designed video games reported a 50% decline in depressive symptoms in 30 days, according to U of U Health."

It may add a little bit of light in their lives because serving as a hobby, they might find fun in it but for longer periods, it's going to need more than gaming to fix being depressed. 

On 4/28/2022 at 2:17 PM, kingpotato said:

It's just like a parent getting the wrong Christmas gift for their kids, only to find out it's not going to work 😂

1 hour ago, Boblee said:

It's just like a parent getting the wrong Christmas gift for their kids, only to find out it's not going to work 😂

Just stop making fun of him already mate, it's not nice. Even though his assessment was wrong but don't mock him too much for it. 

11 hours ago, Heatman said:

Just stop making fun of him already mate, it's not nice. Even though his assessment was wrong but don't mock him too much for it. 

Alright mate, I have heard you. Now back on topic, for an adult that's depressed and at the same time not a fan of gaming, how's that going to be used to aid his recovery? 

3 hours ago, Boblee said:

Alright mate, I have heard you. Now back on topic, for an adult that's depressed and at the same time not a fan of gaming, how's that going to be used to aid his recovery? 

The real question is whether gaming would solve the depression problem, if yes, then the adult would be convinced to start playing. It's like how no one likes to take pills but if they want to heal and get better, they must swallow them pills. 

I'm going to step in. Everyone needs to drop this fight over RDR2. To clarify:

As far as consoles go, Red Dead Redemption was released on the PS3 and Xbox 360. Red Dead Redemption 2 was released on the PS4 and Xbox One. RDR2 is also available on PC. RDR1 is not available on PC as far as I can tell.

So there you have it. Drop the bullshit. Get back on topic and stay on topic.

Edited by The Blackangel

On 4/30/2022 at 8:46 PM, Heatman said:

I came across a scientific research report on Sky News about a program called Thymia that's been used to diagnose and treat depression. 

https://news.sky.com/story/video-games-that-diagnose-monitor-and-treat-depression-developed-by-scientists-12521681

This is interesting and if it works the way they explained it to work with playing random games, it's something that will be huge for taking care of depression. 

2 hours ago, Boblee said:

This is interesting and if it works the way they explained it to work with playing random games, it's something that will be huge for taking care of depression. 

I was impressed with that development because the sooner a better way to treating depression is discovered, it's very important. 

On 4/22/2022 at 2:40 PM, Heatman said:

I think that feeling depressed and suffering from depression are the same thing mate but I'm willing to be schooled on this if you think not. 

A bad weather might me you feel depressed, however, when you have depression, you are lonely and sad. Being depressed is momentary experience.

4 hours ago, egghead said:

A bad weather might me you feel depressed, however, when you have depression, you are lonely and sad. Being depressed is momentary experience.

You can have a sad feeling but that does not make it being or feeling depressed.