Register Now
StaceyPowers

Video games might relieve depression in older adults

16 minutes ago, Darth said:

It definitely can. I think it definitely helps relieve depression in people of all ages, to be fair but it definitely can be useful for older adults, especially ones that might be living by themselves. Playing games, experiencing a new world, and just achieving things in-game can help boost your mood massively

One thing that I have come know about dealing with the feeling of being depressed is that once you have something that gets you committed and a sense of purpose, you will definitely get better at it. 

4 hours ago, Darth said:

It definitely can. I think it definitely helps relieve depression in people of all ages, to be fair but it definitely can be useful for older adults, especially ones that might be living by themselves. Playing games, experiencing a new world, and just achieving things in-game can help boost your mood massively

The problem is that depression does not just affect your mood only. If it's that alone, its treatment wouldn't be that difficult to handle. 

4 hours ago, Justin11 said:

I can't handle depression when it gets out of control, it has happened to me before, I near lost my life, I wouldn't let such happen. That's why I take my time to enjoy video games. 

How were you able to overcome the clutches of depression when it was dealing with you before? 

Just now, Heatman said:

How were you able to overcome the clutches of depression when it was dealing with you before? 

My friends and family members helped me overcome depression when they shared their own experiences. And they advised me to take life as I've seen it and not trying to kill myself over an issue I can't change. Video game is a tremendous therapy to keep anyone busy if you're a game lover, it helped me alot during covid 19 total lockdown era. 

5 hours ago, Justin11 said:

My friends and family members helped me overcome depression when they shared their own experiences. And they advised me to take life as I've seen it and not trying to kill myself over an issue I can't change. Video game is a tremendous therapy to keep anyone busy if you're a game lover, it helped me alot during covid 19 total lockdown era. 

Well, that worked out too easily for you because in most cases for other people, it's not that easy to get over depressed by just that. 

6 hours ago, Justin11 said:

The most important thing is it worked for you in taking care of your depression. Not many other people get that lucky. 

3 hours ago, Heatman said:

The most important thing is it worked for you in taking care of your depression. Not many other people get that lucky. 

Sureah, anyone has his or her own way of getting out of depression. Now, I don't think so much, when such feelings tries to pop-up, I run to my games and listen to music to keep my mental state healthy. 

19 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Sureah, anyone has his or her own way of getting out of depression. Now, I don't think so much, when such feelings tries to pop-up, I run to my games and listen to music to keep my mental state healthy. 

The only thing that I'm going to suggest for you would be to try as much as possible to stay clean of habits that might put you back in depression. 

2 hours ago, Heatman said:

The only thing that I'm going to suggest for you would be to try as much as possible to stay clean of habits that might put you back in depression. 

For example, excessive drinking and smoking, if you are the type of person who smokes. It's very bad for one's health. 

On 5/9/2022 at 10:17 PM, Heatman said:

Exactly mate, I hate it when I'm feeling depressed or anxiety all over my mind. I love to stay at peaceful temperature, I wouldn't let my mind to boil over anymore, at least I have my PS4 to look out for. 

7 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Exactly mate, I hate it when I'm feeling depressed or anxiety all over my mind. I love to stay at peaceful temperature, I wouldn't let my mind to boil over anymore, at least I have my PS4 to look out for. 

Yeah, that's a pretty good way to go about it since you are sure that it works for you to play games and feel better whenever you feel depressed, so you do that. 

9 hours ago, Justin11 said:

I wouldn't know how depression could affect or whether I'm ever going to be able to beat it. I'm very happy that you were able to beat yours. 

5 hours ago, Heatman said:

Yeah, that's a pretty good way to go about it since you are sure that it works for you to play games and feel better whenever you feel depressed, so you do that. 

Correct, it's been better since I became a full-time gamer. I wasn't playing video games like that, but immediately I suffered such high level depression I used video games to calm the severity of the depression.

4 hours ago, Boblee said:

I wouldn't know how depression could affect or whether I'm ever going to be able to beat it. I'm very happy that you were able to beat yours. 

That's just it. No one knows when depression comes, the best you can do, is take precautions when you think you're doing things that invites depression. 

7 hours ago, Justin11 said:

That's just it. No one knows when depression comes, the best you can do, is take precautions when you think you're doing things that invites depression. 

It's why I try to live as healthy as possible because it's the safest bet on not falling into depression once I live a happy and fulfilling life.