Register Now
StaceyPowers

Video games might relieve depression in older adults

I don't still understand the word "Older adults used in this thread, because my parents are aging, they never liked video games. Most parents I've seen their children loving video games aren't in support of video games. I wonder how many old people play video games, since their is none playing it at the moment in my locality.  

On 1/4/2022 at 9:16 PM, StaceyPowers said:

Here is an article about research into video games for relieving depression in older adults. "In previous research, scientists found that 60%­ to 70% of older patients who were unable to benefit from antidepressant meds and who played specially designed video games reported a 50% decline in depressive symptoms in 30 days, according to U of U Health."

Video game is one of the ways I like to relax and cool off, and I believe many people are of this same opinion. It isn't a shocker that video games can help depressed adults as in my down times I use video games to stabilize my mood.

Anything you do for fun and entertainment will release your anxiety and stress. Video games is all about fun and entertainment. Therefore, we can understand that playing video games will help combat depression.

On 5/22/2022 at 1:05 AM, Justin11 said:

I don't still understand the word "Older adults used in this thread, because my parents are aging, they never liked video games. Most parents I've seen their children loving video games aren't in support of video games. I wonder how many old people play video games, since their is none playing it at the moment in my locality.  

By old people, what age are we looking at from your point of view because I know a reasonable number of people that are in their late 60's that are lovers of video games. 

On 5/29/2022 at 12:38 PM, Head_Hunter said:

It's might work since gaming promote excitement, happiness and improve the overall Mood of a person.. But the point is that how many percent of older adults will have interest in gaming.

Being happy, fulfilled and with a sense of purpose in life is something that's going to pull one out of depression quickly. Any video game that can do that would be good at helping depressed fellows. 

10 hours ago, Jasmin said:

Depression is a condition where you experience loneliness and sadness. When you have that feeling, you might not be actually in a mood to play. But if you can get into it, you might feel better. 

It works more like a temporary fix for the problem because you can't be playing 24/7/365 in order for you to be happy always. 

That's completely impossible, even if the user earn from video games, it wouldn't be every time gaming. Their are times you take out and engage in other activities that are important too. I know that I play up to five hours daily at times, but such can't be considered everyday, because I have life outside video games. 

9 hours ago, Boblee said:

It works more like a temporary fix for the problem because you can't be playing 24/7/365 in order for you to be happy always. 

That's true. But what I was trying to say was if anyone has depression it is less likely that he will start playing games. That's because when someone has depression he is not interested in any thing, he only feels lonely and dejected.

6 hours ago, Jasmin said:

That's true. But what I was trying to say was if anyone has depression it is less likely that he will start playing games. That's because when someone has depression he is not interested in any thing, he only feels lonely and dejected.

That's one the worst feeling one can pass through for a long time. It's something similar to what one goes on when he's bankrupt. 

9 hours ago, Jasmin said:

A good friend of mine is still battling her own depression and to make matters more difficult, she doesn't play video games except for board chess. I don't even know how to get her into playing games. 

On 6/11/2022 at 2:32 PM, Boblee said:

A good friend of mine is still battling her own depression and to make matters more difficult, she doesn't play video games except for board chess. I don't even know how to get her into playing games. 

You must find a way to keep her occupied first. It's the first step to getting her mind off what's making her feel depressed. It's then you can try and introduce gaming to her.