Register Now
StaceyPowers

Will some people be “left behind” if VR becomes big?

It's hard for me to criticize this despite understanding how dystopic it all feels, how it feels like a Black Mirror episode. But as someone with social anxiety, not close with my folks and don't have any offline friends... this feels like a blessing tbh. I get to escape from the tiresome interaction of reality and just be someone anonymous online, much like what I'm already doing on the Internet but with a virtual 3D avatar this time. Reality doesn't have much to offer me tbh. I'm seeing a therapist for my anxiety issues, and life gets lonely when I'm not on the Internet, so a virtual escape couldn't be more perfectly designed for someone like me.

It's just like PS5, I've I am already behind due to financial constraint. I am not bothered though same with VR, I wouldn't be bothered if VR stays for the next 10 years and very popular. I know if I am alive, I'll experience better of it in the future, time defines all odds. 

On 10/5/2022 at 12:30 AM, Ajibusu said:

There are people that were left behind with every new technological advancement. So, it is certain that not everyone will get plugged into what VR will offer at the end. 

That's a very valid point and I agree, there will always be left behind with any new technological advancement for various reasons.

Being that VR headsets have been known to be on the more expensive side and only just becoming cheaper such as with the Meta Quest 2 I have found that even though many thought they would be left behind, that may now have changed making them more affordable for everyone. 

I never thought I would consider getting my kids one for Christmas due to the prices last year that I saw but now I am considering it.