Register Now
The Blackangel

What are your thoughts on Rockstar?

Rockstar is one of the biggest publishers of games from what i can see. And they have put out some of the biggest franchise's in the world of gaming. Grand Theft Auto, Red Dead Redemption, Max Payne, LA Noire and Bully just to name some. The GTA and RDR franchise's have been wildly popular and massively successful. Personally I think they're one of the best publishers, as they seem to take the time to work on their games that is needed. They don't seem to work under crunch time. Correct me if I'm wrong. But remember, the scripters and game testers are human and won't catch every little thing, so all their games will have glitches. It's to be expected from all games from all publishers at this point. If I'm wrong on anything in here, or missed something, then please correct me. But remember that about half of this is opinion, and the other half is fact. At least I think its about a 50/50 split. May be more of a 60/40, 70/30, or worse split, but I don't know.

But to sum up, in my opinion Rockstar is one of, if not the best publishers in gaming.

Rockstar is owned by Take-Two who also owns 2K games and some other studios I believe. Rockstar North I think does Rdr, GTA and a few others. There are other Rockstar dev teams out there too. 

I am not sure about Take-Two though. They've been known as a greedy publisher in recent years. Rockstar has their share of issues, like making their online portions of their games a chore to get through. And I'm pretty sure they've been known to push their devs work longer. I just wish they made games like they used to, where the online mechanics aren't all about making them money. 

Also, I feel Rockstar has gotten lazy with a lot of there games, especially gta and rdr, because it's become a chore to go from point a to b, and repeat that process the whole game. Just kinda becomes too repetitive, and when I played most, if not, all of their open world games, that makes it even worse. What I'm saying is, they haven't changed the open world formula in a long time, and I think they need to change it up in the future. 

To have RDR and GTA under their belt which keeps highest ratings in games in two generations says a lot. Between GTA 5 and RDR2, they have set the standards pretty high. That's probably why they don't feel the rush to make another game. How do you top your greatest creations? It's been 8 years since the last GTA and what is there to compare to under that same genre? Even the RDR series is all alone in it's own western environment. Gun on ps2 is the only other comparable western game. So Rockstar definitely found their niche and their formula works. 

3 hours ago, Kane99 said:

What I'm saying is, they haven't changed the open world formula in a long time, and I think they need to change it up in the future. 

I think when they change a working formula, then that's when things go bust. They should just try an interesting location and add unique features. I hope they keep the humor because that is part of the reason I love GTA 5 so much. 

Most of their games had seriously unlikeable and unrelatable protagonists.

Their games are technically great, but empty and devoid of meaning, there is no heart in them, just meaningless violence.

They have a history of flagging down mods for their games.

They closed team bondi

And they released the triology as is, which alone would  be enough to condemn them.

I don't like Rockstar one bit, I think they are up there in the club with the worst of the worst, like EA, Blizzard, Activision.

I enjoyed Grand Theft Auto V when it came out, and that's as much as I'll likely ever enjoy them. I don't see how they can begin to make a good game with sexual assault, tax dodging, a general degree of unprofessionalism, draconian IP protection and copyright claim abuse being aired out in public. Were I working there I'd be ashamed of it, were I not so worried about being the next person to be groped by an exec.

11 hours ago, Boblee said:

Well for what they did with GTA 5 says a lot about them and how good they have been in the gaming industry business but what they did with GTA trilogy shows again how silly they can be as well. 

Sure, GTA 5 speaks high volume for their creativity around video games industry. They tried so much to put lots of work to make it a catchy one for gamers. 

On 1/6/2022 at 11:11 AM, m76 said:

Most of their games had seriously unlikeable and unrelatable protagonists.

Their games are technically great, but empty and devoid of meaning, there is no heart in them, just meaningless violence.

They have a history of flagging down mods for their games.

They closed team bondi

And they released the triology as is, which alone would  be enough to condemn them.

I don't like Rockstar one bit, I think they are up there in the club with the worst of the worst, like EA, Blizzard, Activision.

I'm starting to see them that way too. I know they're just about the money at this point. It's quite sad, but I have to blame it on Take-Two. They're the ones pushing for online I imagine, and it's what ruined RDR2 online for me. Having to grind is no fun. Not only that though, I too hate that they are stopping people from modding the single player. Hell, allow them to mod multiplayer as long as they are in their own private servers. If they're so worried, don't allow the money from private servers to jump into any public ones. Boom, solved. 

I wouldn't say Team Bondi's closure was on Rockstar. Team Bondi is technically the reason they failed. Supposedly the leader of the studio was awful and forced his team to work long hours and unpaid overtime. Something along those lines. There's a slew of videos and articles about how poorly Team Bondi's leaders treated their team. I'd say it was mostly their own fault, but Rockstar could have saved them too I imagine. 

And yeah, after the remastered trilogy fiasco, I think they really need to start producing quality content again, otherwise fans are going to start falling off their bandwagon. 

5 hours ago, Kane99 said:

And yeah, after the remastered trilogy fiasco, I think they really need to start producing quality content again, otherwise fans are going to start falling off their bandwagon. 

Seriously, they really letdown a lot of gamers with what they did with the GTA trilogy because no one actually expected it to turn out the way it with our expectations on the upcoming GTA 6. 

3 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Ok clue me in on the GTA trilogy.

They outsourced the remaster of the three classic GTA games to an untested and inexperienced studio, who mostly used automation to "remaster" the game. And they either didn't do any QA, or thought "Yea, this is good enough" And the games were released in the most horrible state, characters look awful, not just due to bugs, but thematically and aesthetically.  The game is littered with misaligned textures, seam errors, collision issues, pathfinding issues. There are even numerous spelling errors in the games where they used OCR to recreate some texts. It is the most horrible piece of trash imaginable.

The best developer for me. I know they haven't been perfect recently with the lack of content for GTA V single player, RDR 2 and the mess that was the trilogy remaster. But I still trust them to do a good job with GTA 6 and I can't wait to play it when it eventually releases. The hype that is created for one of their games (main ones) is just unmatched really.

1 hour ago, m76 said:

They outsourced the remaster of the three classic GTA games to an untested and inexperienced studio, who mostly used automation to "remaster" the game. And they either didn't do any QA, or thought "Yea, this is good enough" And the games were released in the most horrible state, characters look awful, not just due to bugs, but thematically and aesthetically.  The game is littered with misaligned textures, seam errors, collision issues, pathfinding issues. There are even numerous spelling errors in the games where they used OCR to recreate some texts. It is the most horrible piece of trash imaginable.

That's one hell of a fuck up. I have seen you guys talk about it, but never saw a news article about it. Not sure how I missed it, but nevertheless, I did.

24 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

That's one hell of a fuck up. I have seen you guys talk about it, but never saw a news article about it. Not sure how I missed it, but nevertheless, I did.

If you have the time yongyea on youtube has a few videos explaining the issues, IDK about news articles though. Maybe mainstream doesn't want to be on the bad side of take2/rockstar so they are not reporting it.