Register Now
StaceyPowers

Question for people with dedicated gaming laptops

So, a generous friend bestowed me out of the blue with a gaming laptop. Since I have another laptop for work, I figured it may as well be dedicated solely to gaming to extend its longevity. If anyone else has a laptop you use exclusively to game, what do you do with it if you are not using it for a couple weeks? Do you store it away? Do you leave the battery in or take it out? etc. I have literally nowhere to set it up permanently, so I am struggling to figure out how to juggle it.

I use my gaming laptop for PC gaming and everything else that's... laptoppy, and computerity for that matter. One of the great things about is that fact I can use it without a dedicated desk. Lap, armchair, coffee table, even in bed, it can go where a regular PC can't. I can use it wherever it's convenient at that moment. I will recommend one of the first purchases you make with regard to it being cooling lapboard. On certain surfaces and fabrics gaming laptops (at least in case of mine) can heat up very easily and just makes a laptop more comfortable on you lap.

If you don't mind me asking, what model is it and what specs does it boast?

A friend gave me a gaming laptop quite randomly. I am most comfortable gaming on console, but I want to make the most of the laptop. So, I wondered if anyone here has any recommendations for PC-only games I might like? I mostly enjoy story-driven shooters and open world games heavy on exploration. I’m also looking for cool co-op games on PC.

20 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

So, a generous friend bestowed me out of the blue with a gaming laptop. Since I have another laptop for work, I figured it may as well be dedicated solely to gaming to extend its longevity. If anyone else has a laptop you use exclusively to game, what do you do with it if you are not using it for a couple weeks? Do you store it away? Do you leave the battery in or take it out? etc. I have literally nowhere to set it up permanently, so I am struggling to figure out how to juggle it.

I use my gaming laptop literally once or twice a year when I'm stuck in some  hotel on a work related trip. It just sits on my desk the rest of the time.

The recommendation is to leave the battery in it but don't leave it fully charged, just let it discharge to about 50% when in storage. But a few weeks shouldn't matter, this is more relevant for long term storage.

@StaceyPowers

I really don't think we needed two entirely new topics to cover the additional questions you had about owning a gaming laptop and looking for recommend games, not to mention there is surely a ton of topics about game recommendation, both on PC and otherwise, on the site already. That's why I've decided to just merge these three topics together, it's just a waste of forum space to keep them separate.

A reminder for everyone. Whenever you post a new thread that could easily be part of an already existing one, you bump someone else's topic down the board. It's short-sighted, selfish and leads to a large number of threads with very few replies clogging up the forum. If a thread already exists and it's very old, by all means start another one. In other words, don't post topics that don't need to be there, but apply common sense.

Thank you for your time.

20 minutes ago, Shagger said:

That's why I've decided to just merge these three topics together

That makes sense! Sorry, sometimes I get a bit overzealous with nuance. Thanks for merging them. Also, I will let you know later the specs 🙂 Thank you for the advice about the cooling lapboard too!