Jump to content
Register Now
StormyFire

Overclocking

Recommended Posts

Have you done much with overclocking on your PC?

I have my CPU and memory overclocked slightly. I didn't bother to overclock my GPU because overclocking with my particular GPU, based on my research, provides very modest performance gains to the point where it's not really worth it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think HardwareUnboxed or GamersNexus mentioned in one of their videos recently that manual OC'ing of CPUs is really only an enthusiast hobby these days rather than a real means of significant improvement. The auto-OC features have drastically improved from the past, so you can only squeeze out a little extra performance that won't change the actual end-user experience enough for most people to find it worthwhile.

Plus it's easy to OC then back many PC years ago 😛 Just turn on some things in the Bios and it does it for you, Unless you really want to push it to the max and get 5.2ghz 🙂 like I have 😛  - most or same games do not like it anyway and so I do not see the point and the lifespane of your system won't live forever

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/7/2022 at 2:29 PM, StormyFire said:

Have you done much with overclocking on your PC?

I have my CPU and memory overclocked slightly. I didn't bother to overclock my GPU because overclocking with my particular GPU, based on my research, provides very modest performance gains to the point where it's not really worth it.

 

Based on what I know the truth is the complete opposite.

 

Overclocking does not serve much practical purpose anymore, especially where CPU's and gaming performance are concerned.

 

 

Now the uploader is "boasting" a 20 - 30fps difference from a 700Mhz overclock.  They probably just didn't want to wound their own pride but the truth is most of the time the overclock makes little to no difference at all.  Keep in mind as well that video is 4 years old and since most newer games are GPU intensive I'd bet that overclocking the CPU would even less of a difference now.

 

Overclocking the GPU doesn't make that much difference either but it is better and safer, even with just a standard factory overclock:

 

overclocked-performance.png

 

When it comes to memory the best idea is to run it at the speed and timings it's rated at, no more no less.  Otherwise you might run to stability issues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/26/2022 at 8:41 AM, Crazycrab said:

 

Based on what I know the truth is the complete opposite.

 

Overclocking does not serve much practical purpose anymore, especially where CPU's and gaming performance are concerned.

 

 

Now the uploader is "boasting" a 20 - 30fps difference from a 700Mhz overclock.  They probably just didn't want to wound their own pride but the truth is most of the time the overclock makes little to no difference at all.  Keep in mind as well that video is 4 years old and since most newer games are GPU intensive I'd bet that overclocking the CPU would even less of a difference now.

 

Overclocking the GPU doesn't make that much difference either but it is better and safer, even with just a standard factory overclock:

 

overclocked-performance.png

 

When it comes to memory the best idea is to run it at the speed and timings it's rated at, no more no less.  Otherwise you might run to stability issues.

Agreed - overclocking is kind of useless nowadays considering the base performance of most components is more than sufficient for most gaming needs. This wasn't like a decade ago where even the best specced PCs struggled just to run Crysis on high settings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/31/2022 at 10:33 AM, The Blackangel said:

I've never done it, but then again I don't really even know how to do it.

It certainly isn't worth it now with how powerful GPUs and CPUs have gotten so there's no point learning how to do it currently or for the foreseeable future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've never overclocked my PC. And honestly, I don't even know what overclocking is. Is it like seeing how powerful your PC truly is by having it run through 3D similatuons and stuff? That's what I always though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I've never overclocked my PC. And honestly, I don't even know what overclocking is. Is it like seeing how powerful your PC truly is by having it run through 3D similatuons and stuff? That's what I always though. 

It's just some tweaks to get extra performance out of your CPU, GPU and RAM by upping the wattage of each. Of course, by doing this you are severely shortening the lifespan of your components. It was a necessity back in the days due to demanding titles like Crysis but CPUs and GPUs have become so powerful that it's become an obsolete function.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/25/2022 at 6:41 PM, DudeThatsErin said:

Nope, I only ever play Spyro or The Sims or SimCity on my PC so it isn't needed for those games.

That's the same here. I wouldn't want to stress myself with those activities when I played few games on the PC. My consoles are ever ready to satisfy my cravings. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Patrik said:

overclocked my x5670 recently from 2.93 to 3.1 ghz, degrees went up a little bit so i switched back to stock settings till i get a better cooler!

When it comes to OC it will start to warm up more then at stock, that's why having an good AIO or other cooling methord to keep it cool. The cooling the CPU the more performance you get out of it 🙂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...